What's new

"Cushion" in Lather - What Is That For a Straight Razor Shaver?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I often read of a thing called "cushion" in lather but mainly by DE/SE shavers. What is this thing called "cushion" and does it affect SR shaving?

Here is are some good explanations

Essentially it is a film that allows the razor to glide close to skin while offering a cushion of protection against razor burn irritation, nicks, and cuts.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Essentially it is a film that allows the razor to glide close to skin while offering a cushion of protection against razor burn irritation, nicks, and cuts.
So is cushion the same as slickness for an SR shaver?

I would say that slickness and cushion are not the same. In my experiences Buidling lather as a primary DE shaver, I enjoy a lather that I perceive as having a nice cushiony feel (supportive soft and hydrated, let’s the razor kinda float over the skin). I do not find this type of lather to be very beneficial when using a rigid SE razor, GEM or AC. For SE, I really have make a thinner nearly runny lather. About the only soap I am confident in dialing into this consistency is Tabac.

DE works fine with this type of runny lather too, but doesn’t feel as luxurious. I think it’s just a luxury lather option mostly reserved for DE shavers.

Perhaps if I played with a lighter soap such as MWF, I could find a good balance that works well for DE and SE that has some cushion, but I think it would be exclusive to soaps that share similar characteristics in their lather.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
All very interesting. I have one cream, Nivea Sensitive for Men, that works well for me with a DE but not with an SR. My Proraso green cream works great with an SR but I find it not as good as the Nivea with the DE. It could because of "cushion".

All very interesting. I have one cream, Nivea Sensitive for Men, that works well for me with a DE but not with an SR. My Proraso green cream works great with an SR but I find it not as good as the Nivea with the DE. It could because of "cushion".
I think cushion in most soaps is a achieved by how one dials it in. Some soaps probably can achieve a density with adequate slickness for most DE shavers to produce the cushion we like. Other soaps my need to be hydrated to a point that cushion is as good in order to get the necessary slickness. Regardless of the razor, I don’t think anyone will argue slickness is the primary objective.

Im not a big preshave product user but I also wonder if some can dial soaps in for cushion because they get their slickness from another product.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@AimlessWanderer, I can understand were you are coming from. I have always looked for slickness using my lather. I seen no reason to have a "cushion" between my face and edge when SR shaving. Shavers using a razor with a comb/bar and cap around their edge may have different requirements. Hence my question about this "cushion" thing with SR shavers.

Clarins call their mens pre shave/shave oil, 'Ease Oil' which enhances slickness of shaving soap/cream whilst softening the whiskers so that the razor edge does not suddenly jot against a particularly tough whisker(s) which can give rise to potential nicks and cuts. So I think the word EASE would be a better term in describing CUSHION(-ING) in shaving terminolgy

I often read of a thing called "cushion" in lather but mainly by DE/SE shavers. What is this thing called "cushion" and does it affect SR shaving?
Funny, I discussed the same thing yesterday 😀

IMHO it's a purely imaginative, a placebo if you wish.

To demonstrate what I mean, I propose this little exercise:

Place the razor's blade against your skin, as if you were to shave. Now instead of going vertically down, try going horizontally across your cheek. No cushion. 😂 😂 😂

slightly improved lather which provides an increased level of comfort between the blade and skin, thereby reducing the amount of perceived irritation. depending upon maker of soap.......this may have a thicker or 'weightier' feel to it or not. really depends on the soap maker and hydration level.

is it worth chasing buy purchasing billions of different soap makers???........probably not. the proraso mentioned is capable of providing good cushion with hydration experimentation in my opinion.

camo

Cushion relates to slip with straights imho. If I overthin a lather and it’s extremely slick but basically soap residue and not a thick creamy lather the additional surface area of holding a straight razor flush against my face causes the razor to drag. In that way the lack of cushion in the lather affects slickness.

This is why certain brushes that can hold too much water in the core need to be shaken out before loading with the soap, because as your lather sits Between passes the knot of the brush can release water which will thin out the lather and cause it to apply to your face as a thin film rather than the cushiony application. And a film is not effective for shaving with a straight

If cushion was not necessary, oils or alkaline lubricants would be superior to shaving lather.

Top Bottom