What's new

What To Get Next...

Hi,

My nick is Tiomr1322 because it is my first DE. In fact it is a Weishi 93XX. Very mild shaver.

You are targeting nearly the same path that I walked. So first I want to tell my buying story and my regrets.

I started with a Timor 1322 (Weishi 93XX) and I continued with a Feather Popular, followed by a Mühle R89 and EJ89. The buying madness continued with Wilkinson TTO Classic, Parker 87R, Merkur 34C, Merkur Progress 570 (one of my favorite), Merkur 933c (tiny travel razor), Rimei 2002, Baili 171, Baili 176, Baili 179, Merkur 37C (2nd hand), Merkur 37C (brand new, I confess I liked so much :001_rolle ), Merkur 34G (It might be a collectible soon another confession I liked so much 34C), Merkur 15C (a timeless classic OC), Fatid Grande Doro OC, Yaqi Flipside, Yaqi Slant (too dangerous:crying:), GC 68, Rockwell 6C, Futur Gold (on the way not received yet), Rocket parat (on the way not received yet), Gillete Slim Adj (on the way not received yet), Ikon X3 (on the way not received yet), FOCS (on the way not received yet) .

If I had a chance to go back, I may buy wisely and save money. If it is the case, after Timor 1322, I would continue;

1- Merkur 34G (I'll try to control myself and not buy 34 simultaneously:biggrin1:)
2- Merkur 37C
3- Merkur Progress
4- GC 68
5- Rockwell 6C
6- Merkur 15C
7- Baili 176 3 pcs (or 179 TTO)

and I would definetly skip; Parker 87R, Baili 171, Rimei 2002,

for the new buys I have no idea.

If budget allows me for the only I'll pick 34G and start saving for the 37C).
If I want to start exploring Slant world 37C is an excellent choice of start.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Again, thanks all for the suggestions. This is definitely an expensive hobby!! I thought it was going to save me money :lol:
1601024556840.gif

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1603577495421.png

1603578518843.png

⬅​
This Cezzane sold for $275 million.

1603577713350.png
9-27-20.Vitos.RV.D01 2 band.FOCS.640.JPG

This is the Fatip Open Comb Slant

If you want an easy to use, smooth on your skin, unlikely to cut you, good looking, close shaving razor you can use every day.

If you want a new and already beloved all metal razor without spending a lot of money buying it.

If you'd like to skip the purchases of razors not in this cool razor's league.

You are very likely to love the FOCS!​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Been there done that. It’s all bologna, learn to use what you’ve got first. A month, really! Learn to shave, good shaves are not for sale.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Been there done that. It’s all bologna, learn to use what you’ve got first. A month, really! Learn to shave, good shaves are not for sale.

Probably most of us who've been shaving with safety razors for a while would agree with you for the most part although not necessarily entirely.

BOSC.2.All experiments are encouraged.jpg

One of the very best experiments I've done has been the Fixed Four - the same razor, brand of blade, soap, and brush for a whole month - which I've done several times always to my advantage. I've also used the same razor and blade brand - the FOCS and a Polsilver SI - for months on end, again to my advantage.

That said, my first razor was wrong for me. I tried using it exclusively for a good long time believing it was a quality razor (which it was), and highly recommended by many gentleman (which is was), and therefore the razor for me. Turned out, and I think I understand why, it wouldn't have worked for me no matter how long I used it. It's a great razor, but just not a razor suitable for me.

Am I saying the OP has been using a bad razor? No, of course not. I have no idea he needs a better or different razor, but I also don't believe all is technique. Some tools are better than others. Some tools are great for one person and not so great for someone else.

1603637801993.png

Like many others I have a lot of razors and have used many fo them extensively. For me, some are clearly much better tools. I say that knowing I can shave with any of them. I'm pretty sure many of the gentlemen on this board could say the same thing.

Still, I agree with you if you're saying that jumping around can be counterproductive as compared with sticking with kit long enough to learn it (or find out learning it isn't going to happen and it's time to abandon the effort and move to something else).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom