What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #4, GC.68, Boots #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

Took my time, and got a near-BBS.

I gave myself a haircut out on the back deck today- my first haircut since March. I had a lot to cut. I had purchased some clippers and finally screwed up the courage to use them.

It's useful to read others' experiences. I scissored off the worst bits, that were flopping onto my face, but didn't have the nerve to complete the job with the clippers.

The clippers are now fully charged, and haircut added to the to-do list.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #4, GC.68, Boots #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

Took my time, and got a near-BBS.

It's useful to read others' experiences. I scissored off the worst bits, that were flopping onto my face, but didn't have the nerve to complete the job with the clippers.

The clippers are now fully charged, and haircut added to the to-do list.
I bought the clippers at least a month ago and didn't use them. In fact, I kept thinking I should return them. I watched about 20 videos and was daunted or at best confused by them. No one had a simple way of doing it. Then I came across this guy's video yesterday. His message was clear, simple, and sensible, and I finally realized that I could probably do this.

I bought the clippers at least a month ago and didn't use them. In fact, I kept thinking I should return them. I watched about 20 videos and was daunted or at best confused by them. No one had a simple way of doing it. Then I came across this guy's video yesterday. His message was clear, simple, and sensible, and I finally realized that I could probably do this.
Thanks, Owen Bawn, that's a good video. I'll watch it again and take notes, before attempting the haircut.

I've also watched and read a varied selection of advice, and couldn't extract a practical flowchart out of any of them. :sad:

Since nobody in public can even see my 97%-perfect shave any more, maybe it's time to deal with the other stuff.

Still in!

Whipped out one of my Techs and had good results with a Personna blue, a blade that I don't have that much experience with. I want to do OCtober this year, so I'm getting my '79 Tech fix in now. I'll stick with this setup until I toss this blade, and finish off September with the Gem.

Still hangin in!

- Pre-Shave: Shower
- Soap: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
- Brush: Simpson’s Special Best Badger
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 3)
- Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
- AS: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
- Post-Shave: Hyaluronic Acid

Nice shave. started off with an awful “Gillette Sword” I got in a sample pack that I binned after one swipe. Weird black blade. it was truly terrible. Went quickly to a trusty GSB to save the day!

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (12)
  • Piccadilly Sandalwood
  • Yaqi 24mm Badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I skipped yesterday - early calls - and had a nice shave on a two-day growth today. The lather was so voluminous and lovely that I nearly took a picture of it, but I was running late so you'll just have to imagine it. Still, that's not enough to sway me - I'm ready for Tabactober/OCtober.

SOTD - 23 SEP 2020

SOTD 09232020.jpg

Enjoyable shave with inexpensive setup. I did not like the blade (Gillette 7 o'clock green) as much as others but it still worked.

SOTD - 23 SEP 2020

View attachment 1159114

Enjoyable shave with inexpensive setup. I did not like the blade (Gillette 7 o'clock green) as much as others but it still worked.
It's funny how YMMV. I really like the 7OC Greens, just behind the Nacet as my favorite blade. However, at this point, I have about 23 tucks of Nacets, and since I go through them at the rate of about one blade per month - give or take - I'm set for quite a while. I've also got three tucks of Balzanos that came with my Fatip Piccolo; maybe I'll give those a try during OCtober, just to see how they fare.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #5, GC.68, Boots #5
Post-shave: Freshwood AS, Nivea Balm.

A good DFS, but have not attempted the haircut yet.

Charging the clipper turned up another item for the things-to-do list: charge up infrequently used things like cameras, drills, screwdrivers and spare laptops, before their batteries go bad.

Ok....some thinking about the future. Recently I bought an airbike for endurance training, so that was a bit of money. And some time back I started thinking about Zenith boar brush. Comparing to airbike, it is dirt cheap, but still....it is not something that I NEED per say. So, I am like 90 % sure that I will join October GRUME, and to celebrate 2 months in a row, in November (my birthday month) I may buy a new brush. Maybe.

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: '79 Tech (UK)
Blade: Personna Blue (2)
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Old Spice
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Balm type of shave. Went for a run this morning. Aside from the blade, this may be very well my desert island setup.

The personna blue is a great blade, don't get me wrong, but I'm a bit careless and the 7 O'clock SS lets me be without too much damage. I feel like the personna amplifies your mistakes haha.

Top Bottom