What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2020

According to the Gem time-line there was a Junior Elite, Junior Bar, and Junior all marketed around 1906-ish. We need Fred to weigh in.
All I know about this razor according to the hand written note that was in the case with the razor was that " This Safety razor is a present from my pall Emil Westman January 8 1911." That's about all I know about this razor. Calling Fred cone in Fred.
20200707_194730.jpg
20200707_194753.jpg

All I know about this razor according to the hand written note that was in the case with the razor was that " This Safety razor is a present from my pall Emil Westman January 8 1911." That's about all I know about this razor. Calling Fred cone in Fred.
View attachment 1158616View attachment 1158617
We should move this to TALC if it keeps going. @Flintstone65 will know the definitive answer. I think your razor is a just plain Junior, which is not a bad thing.

Well, tonight is the night that I'm going to give one of my Auto-Strops a try. And I'll be trying an original later style blade, don't have any of the Feathers. I have 13 of those in like new condition so one will get stropped and tried. I'll post my findings later after I'm finished.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hi guys, sorry it took me so long to weigh in. There are two versions of Gem Junior lather catchers: one has fancy decorative script, the other has more "white space" and text on the bottom. Waits' Compendium is confusing on this topic. My feeling is that the plainer script is in the 1910/1911 time frame. My rationale is that given the earlier Gem lather catchers all had decorative text, the "fancy" Gem Junior seems like the next logical iteration of lather catchers. I have both versions of the Gem Junior, and the less fancier version strikes me that it's the later version....and you have some documentation. If we're right about this, then this is the last lather catcher before the razor Gem moved over to the Damaskeene (1912 style).

I was going to throw some Waits' Compendium documentation, which I can do, but I should probably put that stuff in the TALC thread.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Very late to the game here. I am a big fan of SE, but haven't been able to be on much lately. If I can get home in the next couple of days I will grab an SE and start contributing.

Go SE USERS Go!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
That note is really cool. I bought an Arkansas stone off the auction site once. It came with a hand written note in the stone's box that the stone was a gift to her father and he had passed and they were selling off his items. The stone was special to him and he never used it because he thought it was "too nice" to use. It was a handwritten note and obviously there was a lot of emotion in it. I could not have sold that stone had I been them, but maybe the same reason I couldn't have sold it is the reason they did.

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star H-R14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM Carbon Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Supply Company Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

20200922_081833.jpg

1st Gem Push Button Shave 23.9
Razor
Gem Push Button
Blade Gem Stainless
Soap Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Post & Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman Whisky Wood
Can't wait...!!! Disinfect razor and shave at night...hahahaha.
3 full passes. Surprisingly smooth and comfortable the razor and blade combo...Together with the nice slick lather...very good results...bbs to dfs...
I like this SE shaving
I really like this Vintage Gem..!!
I am interested to get more...hahaha
20200923_200307.jpg

20200923_201909.jpg

IMG_20200923_134032170.jpg

2020/09/23
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Crema Pre Barba
Razor: Schick K2 White Lady Eversharp
Blade: Schick Injector (? + 3)
Soap: Fuzzyface Soaps Kentish Rain
Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Aftershave: Blade for Men (CVS) Arctic Blue
Passes: XTG/ATG
Result: BBS

Couple of nicks in under lip area. Last couple of days have been cool and overcast. Picking Soap and AS that matches it to me.

Have a happy shave!

1st Gem Push Button Shave 23.9
Razor
Gem Push Button
Blade Gem Stainless
Soap Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Post & Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman Whisky Wood
Can't wait...!!! Disinfect razor and shave at night...hahahaha.
3 full passes. Surprisingly smooth and comfortable the razor and blade combo...Together with the nice slick lather...very good results...bbs to dfs...
I like this SE shaving
I really like this Vintage Gem..!!
I am interested to get more...hahaha
View attachment 1159020
View attachment 1159021

Nice razor stand!

So it occurred to me while I was reflecting on my fairly decent shave this morning, that I used a twin blade in my Schick M1. I do that mostly because I can ..... not that the twin seems to give me a better shave ..... just kind of routine since I have them and my M1 is the only razor they fit in.

But ..... I suddenly wondered if by using a twin blade I’m not really using a ”single edge” and therefore my shave doesn’t qualify for this thread. Hmmmm ............ :idea:

Top Bottom