What's new

What are you unpacking/ opening today, show pics or video, we love pics

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
What's the width and thickness please, Richard?
I did not expect such interest! Here is the reverse side, the shim is 1 and 9/16 inch (40mm) wide by 10/16 inch (15 to 16mm). I do not have an accurate measuring device but it appears to be 1/16 inch in thickness. It is certainly much thicker than a modern DE blade. Is this a rare item? It is the first one I have seen and I have been looking for a few months.
20200922_133140.jpg

I did not expect such interest! Here is the reverse side, the shim is 1 and 9/16 inch (40mm) wide by 10/16 inch (15 to 16mm). I do not have an accurate measuring device but it appears to be 1/16 inch in thickness. It is certainly much thicker than a modern DE blade.
1/16" (1.6mm) thickness would have given the Gillette Old Type and its many clones (all with no gap) a 1.6mm gap.

At 16mm wide the blade would overhang the shim by 3mm each side.

I cut 1mm off each edge of my old blades to make shims, this makes them 20mm wide (for more rigidity).
Is this a rare item? It is the first one I have seen and I have been looking for a few months.
I've never seen a French one. I've seen pics of American ones here on B&B, but probably about three or four years ago now.

Many thanks for posting the pics, Richard. :thumbup1:

FOOTNOTE
Note the similarity in the (three hole) blade seating layout in my 1947 Knockout:
K9.jpg

K3.jpg

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

1/16" (1.6mm) thickness would have given the Gillette Old Type and its many clones (all with no gap) a 1.6mm gap.

I cut 1mm off each edge of my old blades to make shims, this makes them 20mm wide (for more rigidity).

I've never seen a French one. I've seen pics of American ones here on B&B, but probably about three or four years ago now.

FOOTNOTE
Note the similarity in the (three hole) blade seating layout in my 1947 Knockout:
View attachment 1158494

View attachment 1158496
Very interesting, thank you. 👍

Thanks to the generosity and kindness from a member in another forum...a Pif all the way from USA to my place...
My 1st Vintage Gem...a Gem Push Button with 10 Gem blades too....WOW! Received today.
I am very thankful to the shaving community...
View attachment 1158834
View attachment 1158835
View attachment 1158836
View attachment 1158837
Sweet! Use it at a very shallow angle (i.e., with the handle raised up higher and the flat part of the razor practically touching your face). That plus a light touch will provide you with a good shave.

I like to palm strop the blade a few times before the first use; otherwise, the first use is a bit harsh. The blade mellows out after shave one and thereafter is quite comfortable and smooth for another 6 or 7 shaves, at least.

Sweet! Use it at a very shallow angle (i.e., with the handle raised up higher and the flat part of the razor practically touching your face). That plus a light touch will provide you with a good shave.

I like to palm strop the blade a few times before the first use; otherwise, the first use is a bit harsh. The blade mellows out after shave one and thereafter is quite comfortable and smooth for another 6 or 7 shaves, at least.
Hey, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated! I did tried to be as flat as possible. Didn't know to palm strop the blade ...perhaps can try during next new blade..
Overall it was a great shave using this razor...now I wonder how different it is between this Gem compare to other Gem models...

Got two more pucks of loccitane because i like the scent alot :3 and while they are here (ive been waiting for them
For years) may as well stock a few (3) -plus they had a promo if you spend $100 in the entire shopping mall you get a $20 voucher because its carnival of flowers here ( to attract people to come here and buy stuff) love extras

Attachments

• D48DD43F-4856-4B06-A9A5-69744168DD7C.jpeg
    D48DD43F-4856-4B06-A9A5-69744168DD7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • BF16E8C1-4AB9-49A4-B5AF-6D5E7DBC6C84.jpeg
    BF16E8C1-4AB9-49A4-B5AF-6D5E7DBC6C84.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13

EclipseRedRing

FOOTNOTE
View attachment 1158494

View attachment 1158496
I managed to get an accurate measurement of the shim thickness at 0.7mm. I used the same device to measure a Lord Platinum blade at 0.1mm.
20200924_122148.jpg

I managed to get an accurate measurement of the shim thickness at 0.7mm. I used the same device to measure a Lord Platinum blade at 0.1mm.
:thumbup1: Thank you for that, Richard.

Yep, 0.1mm is the "standard" DE blade thickness (although many newer blades are going thinner). So it's easy to know how much you're increasing your razor's gap when using shims made from "edge removed" DE blades.
Feather Blade Dimensions.jpg

Digressing a little further... standard DE blades weigh in at 0.5g which is an easy to remember number for DE blade nerds.

More DE blade DIMENSION INFORMATION.

Top Bottom