What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Blackland Blackbird sb
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic
Soap: Signature Soaps - Capra, unscented goats milk hybrid soap
Rating: 9.9/10

Super close shave again but with a tiny bit of irritation on the right side of my neck. I was over doing it slightly on one of my trouble spots.

Razor: GEM Damaskeene Open Comb
Blade: GEM Blue Star carbon (4)
Brush: Vulfix: VLF-10 Boar & Badger 21mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Stirling Barbershop (splash)

Additional Care:
HSSC Barber Shop (balm)
Stirling Barbershop EDT
Innisfree No-Sebum Face Powder

A51424D9-F984-41FB-B846-6B8D097C7744.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Micromatic Monday Shave
I was feeling a bit conservative today so I settled on my open comb Damaskeene along with some traditional Tabac. I had my SS PTFE blade out but decided it seemed more proper to use a carbon blade with the Damaskeene.

The Carbon Blue Star is still shaving like a champion on its fourth outing. BBS with super soft and smooth post shave skin. Topped it all off with barbershop splash, balm and EDT. Loving that nice soft powdery smell.
I hadn’t really gotten the Vulfix badger/boar brush into my shaving rotation, but it seems to be excellent for face lathering, something I rarely do.

Everyone stay safe ... and smell as good as me.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Another re-run...

pre...hot water
lather...TOBS sandalwood soap and a Kent BK4
the main event...a ninth day on the UK packaged Personna Israeli red. Three passes (W, X, and A) with no need for touch up.
hot shower (prudently waited a good while after my son's shave and rinse)
4711 Cologne as after shave
9/10

Pre-shave:- Imperial Leather
Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware

Br
ush:- Ol’ Boots Bristle

Soap/Cream:- Own brew Menthol and shaved soap stick

Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Merkur

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure

Fragrance:- Lacoste

The 40 year old brush is still doing a good job on hard shaving soaps. 10/10

1.jpg

First off, a new blade that I found in a grocery store while on vacation
With any new blade I start with a more mild razor and the push button gem is my starting point today. That lasted through half of my first pass. Then the 1912 came out. There was a lot of audio feedback but no cutting taking place. No whiskers in the sink. I ended up with no irritation and what some would MAYBE consider acceptable. I look shaved, I feel good as far as comfort. I just have stubble.

The scent is on point. The brush felt soft. The lather is pleasent. All of the things ya look for.

I will probably not use this blade again, at least until I forget why I don't use it and try it again in a few months or maybe I need to try it in the MMOC as that thing can be angry if not treated correctly.

6.8/10

KM

IMG_20200921_063333.jpg

Razor: Gem 1912 Damaskeene
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Ten outta ten!
20200920_080409.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
With any new blade I start with a more mild razor and the push button gem is my starting point today. That lasted through half of my first pass. Then the 1912 came out. There was a lot of audio feedback but no cutting taking place. No whiskers in the sink. I ended up with no irritation and what some would MAYBE consider acceptable. I look shaved, I feel good as far as comfort. I just have stubble.

The scent is on point. The brush felt soft. The lather is pleasent. All of the things ya look for.

I will probably not use this blade again, at least until I forget why I don't use it and try it again in a few months or maybe I need to try it in the MMOC as that thing can be angry if not treated correctly.

6.8/10

KM

View attachment 1158083
Put the unused blades in your toolbox, far from the sink!

6.8/10

KM

View attachment 1158083
Other than the Personna PTFE blades, the single edge spine type razor blade market is pretty thin for shaving grade blades. I’ve got some GEM and PAL carbon blades on order to try. Luckily I’ve always had good results with carbon blades.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Monday morning shave

Razor: Dorko
Brush: Synthetic
Soap: Lavanda

A very nice cream from Spain, great value, awesome product. Feeling the difference between carbon steel and stainless in my two SR’s. Can’t seem to get the stainless where it needs to be so far. Starting to interpret the differences in face feel of the two blades. Enjoying the SR learning right now and the shaves are close and comfortable. Happy Monday!
D2FB0C51-AB88-44C5-B91E-32BD85E922F7.jpeg

9/10

1600715626516.jpeg

Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm Synbad
Soap: Stirling Autumn Glory
Razor: Feather Popular
Blade: Voskhod

7/10: I love mild razors, but this Feather is an odd one to me. The plastic guard gave sort of a pulling effect and the shave never got that close, despite me being able to work spots a good amount. I wasn’t trying to go very close, because I was operating on 20 hours growth, but still, this was sort of ho-hum. Looking forward to using it more, and I’ll bet I have better results.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Soap: ZM The Magician
Razor: Gillette Superspeed Flare tip
Blade: 4th use Nacet
Brush: Simpson 58 Best Badger in tortoise resin
Post Shave: ZM Magician recovery splash and ZM unscented balm.

2 pass shave WTG and XTG. Tried a little ATG with some irritation. Love the scent on the Magician. 7.5/10

Actually this was yesterday:

24-hour beard, my postwar fat-handled Tech with a Feather blade (3), Tabac in stick form, APShaveCo synth brush, plus my usual Clubman powder to finish. One pass WTG on cheeks, lower lip, and throat, then one ATG on the throat. Still a little bristliness afterward, but that's okay. Verdict: 9.4.

Victorious shave !
First shave ever with a slant and with an open comb.
New brush, New soap, New razor.
Thanks @Tarak83 for the soap strong scent recommandation.
The FOCS might become my daily driver because even with a new blade in, a first timer and shaved 2 weeks goatee, only got a micro nick and on the neck. Usually get more than that when I shave goatee.
Razor : Fat tip open comb Slant
Blade : Astra sp (1)
Brush : DS 30mm synthetic
PS : shower
Soap : Stirling bergamot and lavender 👍
Thayers witch Hazel lavender
AS : B&M Waves ( sadly didnt have a lavender AS
DFS + shave
9.8/10
Have a great safe day
IMG_20200921_175102.jpg

Razor: Razorock DE1
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Blue

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very smooth, very close and pleasant shave.
Aqua Velva report says close enough.
Post shave feel, similar to a new thoroughly wet chamois.😀

Rating: 9.8/10

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR brushless shave soap Bay Rum scent
Soap: Cell Extra Extra Bio
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70
Blade: Kai SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Crown Shaving Co. After Shave Tonic

Wonderful shave this morning from the mild Mamba 70. No blood. DFS/BBS. I was impressed with the Cella Extra Extra Bio. I must have dialed it in perfectly. It was like...a dream! Hadn't used the Crown Shaving Company's tonic recently. Smells very nice.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

View attachment 1157962
I bought a tub of Cella Extra Extra Bio on @Marco ’s recommendation. I need to get busy and try it. Glad it is working for you. When Slantember finishes I can finish a blade seek on the Mamba 53 and then do the same for the Mamba 70 and 3ONE6.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20200921_171649~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (3)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Speick Cream
Aftershave: Speick
Fragrance: Cella Milano Eau de Lavande Cologne

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Simply outstanding! 👍

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (4)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger; forgotten model number
Soap: Tabac
Rating: 9.0

Tonight's shave on almost a day and a half of stubble. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or cuts. However, the Tabac lather was lacking in slickness this time, probably because I didn't let it sit with warm water on top for a few minutes before shaving like I usually do (that is a trick I learned from using Williams soap). So I had to re-lather more than usual for the ATG pass, and my face felt and looked a little bit windburned, but overall, it was a good shave.

Top Bottom