What's new

DFW Get-together?

Clay,
Thank you again for arranging this. [emoji106]

Everyone,
It was great to meet you all and have the chance to spend some time, in person, with others who share this interest. [emoji106]

To everyone who didn’t attend,
You really missed out on some great comradery and some great give aways. [emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all attendees, thank you for a good time and getting us kicked out. Never knew I would hang out with such a rowdy bunch.
Thank you Clay for putting together, I am thankful for the info I was able to gather. Enablers all!

Thank you Clay for making this possible. I had a great time and was very nice to have met all of you. Hope we can do this again later. Will be looking for the next one. Thanks again.

here is the where i got the Korean razor that a few might be interested it. i have found that it is often easier to handle compared to a traditional straight razor... for example if you find it awkward shaving with both hands.
CJB GR-100B Kamisori Style Shavette (Uses Feather Artist Club Blades) 7417944095628 | eBay
proxy.php

i have already placed an order for the lapping sheets, and look forward to getting an even better edge on my straight razor and hopefully get my Rolls Razors to a functional sharpness. by the way the beautiful, heavy straight razor the was shown today (@ezcape49 ??)... what kind is it so i can look into one someday.

Last edited:
there were some really beautiful modern DE razors there today... i hope i don't start down the slippery slope of getting into those. i guess my most modern is the Merkur Futur, but the the ones there today are really well made and have a great weight to them. after seeing everything today i am itching to shave my whole face again start using all of the different kinds of razors again.

there were also so many soaps and after shaves to smell. i surely don't have room at home for all of those, but it sure gives me ideas for stuff to look at when i start running low in the future.
it was asked what kind of shaving stores we have in Austin, and i had to confess i don't know of many other than the AoS at the mall, and i few cigar stores that had a little, it seems that Austin is big in the beard side of things, i know of a lot of locals that make beard and mustache products... i will have to do some research to see about what is available on the shaving side of things here. since my focus is on vintage i can always find better prices on line that i have seen here at antique stores. so far i have not had much luck finding things i don't have in the wild.

i have already placed an order for the lapping sheets, and look forward to getting an even better edge on my straight razor and hopefully get my Rolls Razors to a functional sharpness. by the way the beautiful, heavy straight razor the was shown today (@ezcape49 ??)... what kind is it so i can look into one someday.

It’s the Filarmónica Double Temple 14
proxy.php
proxy.php

Guys, looks like I may be out. Having car trouble. If I get this sorted, I’ll head that way.

Sorry you couldn't make it. We had a good turn out.

Clay,
Thank you again for arranging this. [emoji106]

Everyone,
It was great to meet you all and have the chance to spend some time, in person, with others who share this interest. [emoji106]

To everyone who didn’t attend,
You really missed out on some great comradery and some great give aways. [emoji50]

To all attendees, thank you for a good time and getting us kicked out. Never knew I would hang out with such a rowdy bunch.
Thank you Clay for putting together, I am thankful for the info I was able to gather. Enablers all!

Thank you Clay for making this possible. I had a great time and was very nice to have met all of you. Hope we can do this again later. Will be looking for the next one. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed it a lot. Glad everyone enjoyed smelling my Pinaud Clubman AS's. Whiskey Woods seemed to be the biggest hit, followed closely by Musk.

The lapping film thread is here for those interested:Lapping film, try it.

I've been enjoying the Astra blades, Omega Mixed Midget, Artius Man Beard Oil's, Woodsman Beard Balms, and the Badger and Firehouse Moustache Waxes.

Dang, I wish I could have made it as it sounds like all of you had a great time! Maybe next time I'll be able to make it!

Mike

i spent a long time last night trying to hone my razor with my new films, it seems to work well with the Plexiglas, but i would not say i have it down yet. i think i need to get better at setting the original edge. it seems to me that the blade is slightly bent, on one side there seems to be more of a grind at the heal and toe, with on the other it is wider in the middle... maybe it makes to difference in the end once it is all set, but something i could see. i also was trying to get it so that one side had the burr along the whole edge, but i am not sure i can feel it well, it may be that i just needed to do some more on the course film to get a really straight edge set. when i was done however the edge looks very polished.
@ezcape49 by the way i did not realize just how nice your razor was until i did some research. i knew it felt like real quality, and now i know why. :thumbup: even the box is perfect.

Top Bottom