What's new

TimS' shave journal

And, I'm back. Been a long few months, and stuck with a DE at the moment, but it's time to get back in B&B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Note to self. Don't order bbq'd ribs at an Irish bar in Stuttgart.

And maybe don't post on B&B after too many Kilkenny Reds.

Though I'm on the board every day, not posting much these days--don't really feel like I have much to contribute at this point.

I was, however, asked to post a picture of a bonefish in another thread; rather than take that thread off-track, I'll post the picture here and link to it. Incidentally, I found wading/stalking Hawaiian bones and catching them on the fly rod to be one of the most difficult, and satisfying ways of fishing I've ever done.

IMG_3326_2.jpeg

That fish is gorgeous.
Thank you Larry. I learned a lot from that fish and my guide: I botched the cast, but the guide told me a trick for repositioning the fly that worked like a charm. Exhilarating to watch the fish turn and take the fly.

It's been ages since I went bonefishing, but it's hard to forget the exhilaration caused by watching and feeling them make the line sizzle through the water. Pound for pound, nothing like them.

I hit the 50 year mark the other day, and was given an exceptional (razor-related) gift by my wonderful wife. Pictures to follow-- maybe tonight.

Wow, haven't posted here in almost two years. It has been a while since I used a straight, for a variety of reasons--lots going on in life, not the least of which a bunch of changes/stressors due to the pandemic. Things seem to be looking up now. Hoping they stay that way.

Today I honed up a junker frameback I keep on display in the bathroom, with the intention of using it for a backup in case I encounter any razors not up to snuff. Shaved with it.

Can't say it was a perfect shave; edge was pretty good, but no muscle memory of how I used to do it. Ended up with a decent shave, but need to get some more practice in. Not exactly like riding a bike.

I planning on getting back to straights now, and looking forward to it.

Top Bottom