What's new

Using a soap block?

I have been shaving for a couple of years now, and starting to broadening my horizon into things.

I sometimes see big blocks of soaps for sale, and was wondering how they are used.

How to prepare and use such a block?

proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that most either cut a chunk off to use and then freeze the rest or cut it up into chunks and freeze the rest and pull out a chunk as you need it. I have not used a brick before but many that have will let you know what they do.

I bought block of vitos as i liked the idea of an endless soap supply. It was very easy to break the hl9ck up and put some in an empty shave soap bowl. All the blocks seem to be like that.

However, I didn't like the soap much, but, they are cheap enough and if you like them like others do, then well worth it. Cella seems the most popular.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, just give a look in My Wiky page, right under my signature. I posted a few tutorials years ago.

Do you have a vacuum sealer?

Just cut a little amount of the soap and put it into the container you prefer.

The rest of the block, into a bag and after seep tealed, you do not need to store it into a fridge.

Just keep the rest of that block stored away from sunlight and humidity.

I have some Vito's and Rasozero's blocks stored in that way.

Do you have a vacuum sealer?

Just cut a little amount of the soap and put it into the container you prefer.

The rest of the block, into a bag and after seep tealed, you do not need to store it into a fridge.

Just keep the rest of that block stored away from sunlight and humidity.

I have some Vito's and Rasozero's blocks stored in that way.

+1! The optimal approach IMO! :a29:

A kilo of soap sounds, initially, like the bargain of the century. Being set for ten years of shaving looks like the best deal possible.
Now, the reality: before being able to finish one tenth of soap from your big block, you'll be sick of the same smell, every single day, no matter how heavenly you think it smelled in the beginning. It's like you eat every single day only your favorite food, for the next 10-13 years.

You have been warned.

Using a kilo of soap is simply a different approach to wet shaving. I've been working off kilos of Vitos for years. For me, the soap is amazing. Predictable, perfect lather everytime delivering superior shave results.

If you use it as your exclusive soap, you can expect to get around two years of daily shaves. I quarter mine, and lately I've began vacuum sealing the other quartered blocks. Exposure to air seems to be the biggest culprit to "ruining" the remainder, but I've honestly never had any problems other than some minor drying.

Try some samples first. See if you like it before committing to the block. A kilo of soap really doesn't fit into the "a different soap/cream for every day this month" approach. There's nothing wrong with either method; pick what's best for you.

Don

Top Bottom