SOTD-FS-W_2020-09-18.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (4)
ASL: Fine L'Orange Noir

A really great shave! :cornut:

I can only say I'm enjoying every single piece of this kit. At some point in my life I must've been good. :letterk1:

Yikes! Are you willing to share details?
I think there might be a word limit to the posts on this forum, so I will just keep it brief. :devil:

Rule #1 about slant razors - either the entire head is slanted (diagonal slant), or the cap and base plate is torqued (torsion slant).

The R53 does not have a tilted head, which means the cap and base plate need to be torqued. The base plate, however, is flat except for the opposite edges turned downward so slightly that you need a magnifying glass to see it. The same with the cap. What this means is the the blade itself lies flat for the most part and only the ends of the cutting edges are bent slightly. Translated into a shaving experience, you have a very mild shaver that takes four passes and then touch up with a different razor to get something close to a decent shave.

The cap is beveled suggesting the proper shave angle, however using that angle does not produce an efficient shave. There is a very small window of available angles that actually allow you to cut anything, and none of these angles are efficient. Add to all this, the razor is made of aluminum and so is extremely light, which is not a good characteristic to have with an inefficient razor.

It is extremely well machined and the fit and finish is very good and if you prefer a mild, four pass shaver, this will probably not disappoint. It just is not really designed as a slant, nor does it perform like one. :thumbdown

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-B_2020-09-19.jpg

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Another super shave! :cornut:

I think there might be a word limit to the posts on this forum, so I will just keep it brief. :devil:

Rule #1 about slant razors - either the entire head is slanted (diagonal slant), or the cap and base plate is torqued (torsion slant).

The R53 does not have a tilted head, which means the cap and base plate need to be torqued. The base plate, however, is flat except for the opposite edges turned downward so slightly that you need a magnifying glass to see it. The same with the cap. What this means is the the blade itself lies flat for the most part and only the ends of the cutting edges are bent slightly. Translated into a shaving experience, you have a very mild shaver that takes four passes and then touch up with a different razor to get something close to a decent shave.

The cap is beveled suggesting the proper shave angle, however using that angle does not produce an efficient shave. There is a very small window of available angles that actually allow you to cut anything, and none of these angles are efficient. Add to all this, the razor is made of aluminum and so is extremely light, which is not a good characteristic to have with an inefficient razor.

It is extremely well machined and the fit and finish is very good and if you prefer a mild, four pass shaver, this will probably not disappoint. It just is not really designed as a slant, nor does it perform like one. :thumbdown

Now I get it. Many thanks. As you say, I'll look elsewhere, probably the FOCS that everyone seems to like.

FYI, I copied the below from the Slantember thread:
@Cal is it anodized? Or just polished? How hard will upkeep be?
I've emailed your questions to Mr Fine and will get back to you.
Hi ponykilr,
Mr. Fine got back to me, here's his response:

"It’s not anodized because we wanted the smoothest finish possible, and full restoration can forever be accomplished with jewelry polish!"

I must say I was pleased with his answer. Due to the anodizing thought (you put in my head) I started to wonder If I'd be able to polish it (for any minor scuffs/scratches). I'm now a happy bunny again. :biggrin:

*launches Fine's site*
*finds the slant razor*
*checks price*
*faints*

I think I'll stick with the FOCS. This sounds like epsilon improvement for a large delta in price. But more power to those who buy. Looks like a good choice for those with limited tolerance for Fatip QC.
Serious money for machined Alu. RazoRock and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements manage to do machined Alu for much less. Must be the high cost of polishing.
I just looked at the Wolfman website again (I'm on the list). So just to reinforce the cost of mirror polishing:

Standard three piece SS Wolfman: $400
Polished three piece SS Wolfman: $750
versus
Fine Slant Razor (polished aluminum): $100

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-K_2020-09-21.jpg

Brush: Omega 10086 16/47 Bigger Bambino
Blade: Gillette Blue (1)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Super! :cornut:

Now I get it. Many thanks. As you say, I'll look elsewhere, probably the FOCS that everyone seems to like.
Do it! I will make the same offer I do to all. Buy it and if you don’t care for it, message me and I’ll buy it.
Nice offer. THX
It’s out-of-stock at Maggard’s, though. So I’ll have to be patient.
Once upon a time, this was a thread about the Fine Slant Razor. :001_rolle

Then you guys complete your homework:
1600778242385.png

and now it's a thread about the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (FOCS).

:facep: I blame Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Once upon a time, this was a thread about the Fine Slant Razor. :001_rolle

Then you guys complete your homework:
View attachment 1158445

and now it's a thread about the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (FOCS).

:facep: I blame Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers.

I blame Cal for everything. Including the stuff everyone blames me for. Including when my wife blames me for not taking out the garbage. It works less well than I'd hoped but I'm persistent.

Top Bottom