What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

I was talking to my Barber about straight razor shaving. His father was a Barber and he said that when his father shaved himself he would do a complete single pass over his entire face without ever lifting the blade off his face.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was talking to my Barber about straight razor shaving. His father was a Barber and he said that when his father shaved himself he would do a complete single pass over his entire face without ever lifting the blade off his face.
Hmmmm. Another technique to work on.

Bought a shavette to give a wide open blade a try.

While going CAREFULLY got a pirate slash on my cheek.

Learned how this will turn out. Put it away.

I thought that too. I have a Sextoblade that I absolutely cannot use without slicing myself up, and sent it to the shadow realm. But then I decided to give an actual straight a chance, since I got a very good deal on a shave ready vintage here on BST. And it is much easier to use without cutting myself. Those thin blades in shavette razors are lethal. The real blade is better.

This does not in any way imply that I’m good at it. But I think I’ll get better if I can keep making the time to use it. I get an irritation-free, bloodless BBS every time with my DEs so it’s a little tough to justify using a straight just for quality shaves. The straight is just to amuse myself.

TBH, I couldn't care less what you are willing to do.

I am stating facts, displayed by the numbers and the two categories I examined are "scared" and "maintenance".

The "couldn't be bothered" camp, which you seem to be in, is smth. I'm not disputing. No one's forcing you to use a straight. Enjoy whatever works for you.
Couldn't be bothered to do maintenance. Calm down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There's something really satisfying about the simplicity of a naked blade on the skin. I feel like I understand shaving better and that makes me better with a DE too.

I used to think straights were dangerous because I just didn't understand them or the careful, measured movements you make. In practice, the worst that can happen is a small nick not an impromptu flaying (and you can do that with a DE too). If you waved the thing around like a sword OK you could do real damage - but why would anyone do that?

To me a traditional straight razor is a delicate, precision tool which has all the beauty of good design where form is perfectly adapted to function and a soul based on many years of tradition. The shared experience of learning & practicing a skill.

Not everything old is "old-fashioned". Sometimes we just forget about good stuff.

Because I don't have one! Can't bring myself to invest in all the "stuff." I did recently incidentally acquire a shavette, which I have been loving though. I have a feeling its all a matter of time before I end up with a straight.

Because I’m ugly enough as it is, and I’m too lazy. Seriously, I am satisfied with the shave I get and am getting older. My eyesight isn’t great. I’m happy with a Bronze Medal.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I continue to use de shavette because the blades are the same as de razor I use for shaving head.
But I don't want to enter straight razor, because I don't want the bookcase to be occupied by the whetstone.

Knife sharpening is not difficult for me, I have senior craft experience for years; but general craft tools can be ground with sandpaper + auxiliary tools, saving a lot of volume.

I continue to use de shavette because the blades are the same as de razor I use for shaving head.
But I don't want to enter straight razor, because I don't want the bookcase to be occupied by the whetstone.

Knife sharpening is not difficult for me, I have senior craft experience for years; but general craft tools can be ground with sandpaper + auxiliary tools, saving a lot of volume.
Maintenance of SR is vastly overexaggerated. With a 3K/10K Naniwa combo stone you can do EVERYTHING, from setting the bevel (which you should never have to do, unless you seriously damage the edge) to touching-up. If you don't want to shave off synthetic edge, you can get ANY of the natural finishers and enjoy the super-smooth blade.

Just my $2Cs

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Maintenance of SR is vastly overexaggerated. With a 3K/10K Naniwa combo stone you can do EVERYTHING, from setting the bevel (which you should never have to do, unless you seriously damage the edge) to touching-up. If you don't want to shave off synthetic edge, you can get ANY of the natural finishers and enjoy the super-smooth blade.

Just my $2Cs

I just have one 100/500 combo stone used for handicraft at home has troubled me a lot (especially my wife).
It is used for a short time during a year, most of the time it is the bricks in the bookcase.

As long as I use shavette, I don’t have to buy another 3K/10K combo stone. ;)

I just have one 100/500 combo stone used for handicraft at home has troubled me a lot (especially my wife).
It is used for a short time during a year, most of the time it is the bricks in the bookcase.

As long as I use shavette, I don’t have to buy another 3K/10K combo stone. ;)
A shavette with a half DE blade is utterly different experience from using a real SR. I have both and also a Feather AC, so trust me I know what I'm talking about. It's not even close.

Because a slippery bathroom mat or a sudden loud noise can
send someone to the intensive care.

A straight razor will not stop
slashing deep into flesh ,as there’s no guard to restrain it from doing so.

I’m aware of few quite serious shaving accidents with straight
razors.Enough acquired awareness to keep me away from shaving with them.

Shaving is supposed to be a safe ,relaxing and joyful practice for me.Not an extreme sport ,neither a russian-roulette type of activity.

If you would have met someone with slashed trigeminal nerve,I bet you would feel the same.
All it took was a slippery bathroom mat.
The razor broke into three pieces inside his cheek .

I keep my bravery for where & when it’s really needed.

Last edited:
I agree. No matter how experienced you are, you're gonna cut yourself severely at some point. You just can't avoid it. It happens before you notice your error. I'm not keen on an inch wide cut across my cheek or a sliced earlobe. I still cut myself occassionally with a safety but the cut is never severe. Why do people use straights? Why do people ride motorbikes? It's a matter of risk assessment.
Ultimately, I gave straights up after a few tries because I just didn't enjoy handling a straight. I find it much more enjoyable using a safety or a cartridge.

Last edited:
Because a slippery bathroom mat or a sudden loud noise can
send someone to the intensive care.

A straight razor will not stop
slashing deep into flesh ,as there’s no guard to restrain it from doing so.

I’m aware of few quite serious shaving accidents with straight
razors.Enough acquired awareness to keep me away from shaving with them.

Shaving is supposed to be a safe ,relaxing and joyful practice for me.Not an extreme sport ,neither a russian-roulette type of activity.

If you would have met someone with slashed trigeminal nerve,I bet you would feel the same.
All it took was a slippery bathroom mat.
The razor broke into three pieces inside his cheek .

I keep my bravery for where & when it’s really needed.
Respectfully, the above rambling just proves you know nothing about it, no offense meant.

Top Bottom