What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Gem 1912
Brush: Omega 10077
Blade: Gem Stainless (9)
Aftershave: Old Spice

Farthest I've ever taken a blade. Excellent shave. Craving some DE though so I'm going to give the Gem a good clean, and put it away for a bit. I'm sure I'll end up picking it up again soon.

1 thing- I distinctly remember the smell of the original Old Spice formulation, I will never forget it for as long as I live. The classic variant that I can find at any drugstore does have a different smell to it, but does anyone here actually like the classic version more?

I do. From the knockoffs I've smelled of the original Shulton formula, it had a kind of heavy baby powder smell to it. Not bad, but I like the current version a bit better.

Thursd shave sink.jpg

Thursday’s shave starts off with some Lakewood Smokeberry soap. The soap came as a sample. It is a tallow -base soap and does a great job giving me a smooth, rich lather. The brush today is the B&B Essential Boar, Sue Edition. The razor: Karve SB with the C plate using a Treet Platinum blade. The aftershave: Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by L’Occitane aftershave balm. After a shower some Jimmy Choo Man Intense fragrance.

A perfect 10 shave.

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (9)
Brush: DScosmetic 25mm Boar/Badger mix
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Noble Otter Barrbarr
Aftershave: Noble Otter Barrbarr (Splash)

Additional Care:
Innisfree No-Sebum Face Powder
8F0EE827-6CDD-496B-B315-A46D27808699.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Only a Deluxe Shave for Such a Noble Otter
I’m not sure, but I think I’ve only used this soap once before and couldn’t remember it’s qualities, so it’s time for reunion. I was going to use my GEM Featherweight, but decided only the Deluxe version was suited for such a noble beast.
I returned to my usual bowl lathering this morning. A little of this soap (Barrbarr) goes a long way, and it can handle lots of water, producing a copious amounts of thick cushiony stick to your face lather. It smells darn good too.
Ninth shave for this Personna PTFE blade and you would never know it. I got my usual BBS with my razor moving over my face like it was Leonardo DaVinci’s paint brush.
Excellent post shave feel. Skin is baby soft and ultra smooth. Yes! Yes! A splash of Barrbarr aftershave, and I am instantly transformed into a chick magnet. Life is good!

Stay Safe

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, Sept 17 2020

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84 -Mfg 2018> One of my better razors when paired with a Kai SS wider blade.
Blade: Kai SS- One of the best blades for mild razors and is Smooth and sharp. .009"thousands wider than a standard blade.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- nice scent and great lather qualities. Almost done my puck.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26 mm synthetic- excellent brush to create lather with cloud like soft tips.
Pre Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver aftershave with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR GC.84+ Kai SS Blade.

DE SOTD, Thur, Sept 17th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think Safe in these times!

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer .84 P with HD handle
Blade: Personna US Lab Blue, with the old blue wrapper; 2014? (6)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
Rating: 9.0

Morning shave on 2.5 days of growth. Easy near BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. I say "near BBS" because there was DFS++ in spots on my cheeks, jawline, and neck. No irritation, but one small nick beneath the lower lip. The blade appeared to be dulling, since I felt slight tugging on the ATG pass, so I will replace the blade.

It was sort of a RazoRock day today with the brush and razor - both are great quality tools.

1600355226728.jpeg
Brush: Shaveforge Handle and 20mm boar
Soap: Stirling Sandpiper
Razor: Rockwell 6C, R3 and R2
Blade: Gillette Platinum

7/10: uhhhh, kind of a rough first use of the Gillette Platinum. Probably some carelessness on my part, but I am very sure that these are not the same as the Gillette “Swedes.” What a shame, but there are other good blades out there.

Pre-shave:- Pears green
Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware
Brush:- Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Home Brew

Razor/Blade:- Gillette tech and Supermax
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Great shave, perfect blade and razor 10/10

27a.jpg

Razor: Schick K4 Lady Eversharp yellow injector razor
Blade: Schick Injector Twin
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Rating Ten
PSX_20200916_075742.jpg

Pre: Hot shower / soak
Lather: Col. Conk Amber with WCS tortoise best badger
Shave: Feather AS-D2 with King Gillette blade (3)
After: B&M Sunny Lane finish it off

7/10 Fine shave but I'm not really a fan of the col conk lather. It's fine but doesn't have the residual slickness of my other soaps. I feel determined to finish it though! I'm also not a fan of the WCS badger but it's all I got at home while waiting for my SOC boar to come in! My other boar is on the ship.

Overall a more then acceptable shave this morning. I had one cut/weeper, it is almost like i didn't move the blade/razor but more so pushed into my face and I kinda have a very small line of blood that looked like a weeper when my face was wet. Kinda weird, not sure if that is because the blade is losing some of it's awesome or what.

Another new to me scent. I tried the bar soap on my previous order so ordered the samples this last order. I find the scent pleasant and would probably be good as a summer or spring scent. I will probably use it up though and reorder if I continue to like it.

I kinda forgot that I like using my boar brush. It has found its way back into the rotation. I have some blades I haven't tried before for my DE razors so I may have to jump on over to that stuff again shortly as I can't handle new stuff not being tried.

8.1/10

the score for everything else would be upper 8's to low 9's but the blood just dings ya.

KM

IMG_20200917_062936.jpg

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower w/ a little conditioner on my whiskers​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8 SR​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin​
Aftershave: Proraso After Shave Balm, Cypress & Vetyver​

Rating: 9.4/10 No nicks! No irritation!
  • A nice shave overall! Very even, may have benefited from a third pass....
  • This soap and brush were not the best match today, but I am dialing them both in, so was ready. The brush isn't fully broken in yet, and doesn't hold as much water as I think it can. The soap is dry. Previously, I have added water to the soap before hand to let it soak. I did not do that today.
    • I ordered this soap as NOS, (my term, not the vendor's) at a deep discount. The vendor described it as dried out, which it was. So, my point is I am not complaining.
All Proraso software today
proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20200917.jpg

Razor: "Slant Stroke" Bakelite Slant (Ikon SE90 90mm handle)
Blade: Silver Star (6)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG, XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Really nice shave! :)

Top Bottom