What's new

Open comb recomendation

If you want an open comb which takes everything down with ease then Check out the Muhle R41 just be careful though 😄

Last edited:
Take a look at the Stirling Soaps Open comb head. It's the same as the Maggard V2, but at a better price
While the Stirling head shave is mild, smooth & close with a wide variety of blades, I went on to pair the bottom plate with a Charcoal Goods Lithe Cap - shaves GREAT, beyond its' price range!
Lithe & V2 with Barber Pole Handle.jpg

Which open comb razor would you suggest for a guy that enjoys mild shaves of Rockwell 6S on plate 4? Preferred blades in there are Polsilvers and Nacets

The Merkur open-comb is very mild. The short-handle 985C is my favourite. See also the Merkur 15C et al (AFAIK all the Merkur open combs use the same head). An easy, relaxing shave. If I feel like a challenge I'll break out the shavette.

It may be mild but it's a great hair-cutter. The open comb means it can tackle any length of hair. Good for head shaving or indeed any part of the body.

I like it best with sharp blades like Feather or Bic. By chance, 50 Nacets arrived in the post today :)

Any Merkur open comb will be mild. I have one on a random handle for travel and days where I want to go on auto pilot. My daily is a Razorock game changer jaws. I enjoy that razor a bunch but so far I can’t go on auto pilot as it is what many people would consider to be a tad aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which open comb razor would you suggest for a guy that enjoys mild shaves of Rockwell 6S on plate 4? Preferred blades in there are Polsilvers and Nacets

I was that guy too. I love my Blackland Blackbird. I haven't tried either blade in the BB, but have had no issues with Voskhods and Astra SPs.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My favourite OC is the Fatip Piccolo, it is cheap but very efficient although rather aggressive

Fatip Open Comb Slant, the FOCS, is what you seek.

Absolutely comfortable, crazy efficient and beautiful to look at.

Love it so much I bought a second just in case ...

1B9B9B5C-6291-4D7B-BA4B-98DF987D5864.jpeg
91AA4143-A489-4406-93F6-C5DE0125F8AB.jpeg
DDC8C355-B1F7-429D-8EC2-225CD13425AC.jpeg

Like others said, start with something inexpensive and simple like the Yagi Melon OC or any other Zamak OC head and if you like it, but you want something better (more effitient/mild or made out of adamantium/vibranium), then more up or don't if it gets the job done. There's a chance that you might not like OC razors at all so there's no need to buy the most expensive one out there. Expensive razors aren't always the best shavers.

Mild and open comb don't always go together. That said there are a few options that I am familiar with. I have the RazoRock Game Changer 0.84 open comb. For a more mild shave I'd suggest going with the 0.68 version, although I have not tried that exposure. In addition, there is the RazoRock Old Type. It's definitely a mild shaver. For vintage options, I have found the New Deluxe to be an efficient yet smooth razor and is probably my favorite of all razors. They aren't easy to find but they are out there. Someone mentioned the NEW, either short comb or long comb. My experience with both of those razors is that they are anything but mild. There may be other modern razors that fit what you are looking for but they may also cost a fair amount more. I'm a cheap bastard so the RR Game Changer and the New Deluxe are about as pricey as I'm willing to go. And because of the shaves I get from them both, I don't see any reason to spend more.

Top Bottom