What's new

What's the point of points?

Do you like a pointy point?

• Yea

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
I should have made clear it is only Spanish points I tend to avoid. Square French and many others no issue. Something about that attenuated Spanish tip.

Honestly, so far all the explanations for it boil down to "Blades that go to the very edge can get small hairs". I avoid Dutch tips just because I also like to get into small areas too, and the bulbous, rounded end on that would get in the way. The actual point itself seems useless insofar as it doesn't prevent the blade from extending to the tip

I never even notice what shape a razor is during my shave... until I forget I've got a pointy tipped one and pull the razor away heel first and slice myself.

There is something that I dislike about round points from
a design philosophy point of view.
The only way that I can accidentally cut myself with a razor toe,
is if I fail to remember how easy it is to accidentally cut myself with a razor toe.
It's easier for me to remember with a square point.
And if I do forget, then it doesn't really matter if the point is round or square.

The round point falls into 2 categories of safety features
which I dislike:
1) safety features for people who don't pay attention.
This seems to be a trend in modern car design.
2) safety features which really don't add very much in the
way of safety.

My first razor was a round point. I thought I was going to struggle to get the nostril area but it's just not a problem. With no specific need for sharper points (YMMV), and because I quite like having ears, a round point will always be my first choice.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My new to me SR is square point and had my first shave today. I’ve only known round point so far. I found it very user friendly, might have made a few adjustments here and there. I wasn’t really aware of any big difference to be quite honest. I like the square point after it’s first test drive.

I like to use my Spanish point razor to get into those difficult nooks and crannies in my old weather-beaten face.
I cannot (yet) justify a M7DS of these, but I'm thinking about it :c9:.

False modesty my friend...of course you can justify it. Perhaps one of your crazy Filipina girlfriends decides that she doesn’t like the existence of your other Filipina girlfriends, and she destroys one of your sets...think of it as your back up to the back up to the back up etc.

See how easy that was...you’re welcome!

Vr

Matt

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
False modesty my friend...of course you can justify it. Perhaps one of your crazy Filipina girlfriends decides that she doesn’t like the existence of your other Filipina girlfriends, and she destroys one of your sets...think of it as your back up to the back up to the back up etc.

See how easy that was...you’re welcome!

Vr

Matt
Done.

IMG_20201107_114110.jpg
Engraved in Chinese of course.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A sharp spikey toe like my Gold Dollar W59's have, makes it much easier to shave inside the nostrils and ear canals. Those roto tools tickle and tug on my hairs.

.......They are there to cut your earlobes in half :-O

Some love them but they do not work for me. I realize this is my fault but regardless they do not work for me.
Yes, yes they are. And boy are they effective! Note the name.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As barbers in the past did more than shaving, and did surgical stuff and bloodletting - hence the red stripe down the white pole - are the points a carry over from that? I can't see a barber of old needing to do such detail work when purely shaving, that they need such a pointy blade.

Top Bottom