What's new

Show Us Your BICYCLE(S)!!!!

Picked up this vintage steel frame Jamis road bike. My first bike in about 15 years. I have really been enjoying it so far and it will be interesting to learn how to do maintenance and maybe even do a couple of small upgrades to it.
IMG_20200907_121316_892.jpg

Nothing fancy for me, a Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon with Mavic Ksyrium wheel upgrade. Just coming back from a collarbone break and my confidence is not returning, to be honest I am plain scared and not enjoying riding any more. I suppose I will just have to give it time.View attachment 1110208

I just had a terrible crash on my mountain bike a couple days ago and it will be interesting to see how I feel about riding again once I'm healed. I'm for sure out for the rest of the season, but come Spring, I'll have to decide if I want to get back on the saddle. I imagine that I'll still want to ride, but hard to say for sure because right now I have a lot if injuries to deal with (fractured nose, concussion, fractured neck & back, broken hand, cut under my eye, and a really scraped up face).

I just had a terrible crash on my mountain bike a couple days ago and it will be interesting to see how I feel about riding again once I'm healed. I'm for sure out for the rest of the season, but come Spring, I'll have to decide if I want to get back on the saddle. I imagine that I'll still want to ride, but hard to say for sure because right now I have a lot if injuries to deal with (fractured nose, concussion, fractured neck & back, broken hand, cut under my eye, and a really scraped up face).

Very sorry to hear about your injuries. That was a bad one. I had a bad crash back in 2011. I was definitely not nearly as confident, getting back on the bike. I limited myself to errands on my utility bike for over a year.

So I hope you are able to build back at an appropriate pace and find the joy again. All my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Very sorry to hear about your injuries. That was a bad one. I had a bad crash back in 2011. I was definitely not nearly as confident, getting back on the bike. I limited myself to errands on my utility bike for over a year.

So I hope you are able to build back at an appropriate pace and find the joy again. All my best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Thank you!

If I do get back to riding, I'll definitely have to make sure I don't try to ride at 10/10ths of my abilities like I've tended to do in the past. I've always tried to push myself to the next level, but that's probably not a good idea anymore now that I'm getting older and don't bounce back from injuries near as quickly.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am sorry to hear that, I wish you well with your recovery; take your time. In my case my wife has dissuaded me from cycling much as the roads are not safe here and I may not be so lucky were I to have another accident. I now cycle only when I need to and not for pleasure. It is a shame but it is just a part of my life that has changed for the worse, other parts have changed for the better and for that I am grateful. Good luck 👍

Heal up quickly! That’s quite a list. I’ve separated a shoulder and broken a finger, but made it back to the woods both times. You’ll be back soon!

Picked up this vintage steel frame Jamis road bike. My first bike in about 15 years. I have really been enjoying it so far and it will be interesting to learn how to do maintenance and maybe even do a couple of small upgrades to it.View attachment 1151691
About a month ago I saw this frame outside a restaurant in Ft. Myers, FL. I snapped a photo and sent it to my brother-in-law, who has ridden Jamis bikes. Wish I still had the pic...must be from the same era. Enjoy it!

About a month ago I saw this frame outside a restaurant in Ft. Myers, FL. I snapped a photo and sent it to my brother-in-law, who has ridden Jamis bikes. Wish I still had the pic...must be from the same era. Enjoy it!
That's really interesting. I tried to search up some info on the internet about the frame to maybe date the bike a bit but really couldn't find anything on this particular model

Heal up quickly! That’s quite a list. I’ve separated a shoulder and broken a finger, but made it back to the woods both times. You’ll be back soon!

Thanks for the encouraging words. It will be a long healing process, but I'm seeing small improvements each day.

I do seem to still have the desire to ride, and if I do, I'm seriously considering switching to a well ventilated full face helmet, even though the single track terrain I normally ride isn't very technical. Since my accident, I've been reading about some other people's accidents where they planted their face into the ground or into a tree when they were on pretty simple terrain and they just made what would seem to be a small mistake (e.g. front end washes out in a turn), so I'm really starting to feel it would be worth having that extra face coverage.

From the vaults! Not my bike, destined for son #3 away at university. Second owner Craigslisted it a day or two ago. I think he had enough bikes so that this one was more nostalgia than a regular ride for him.

I have an urge to display it on the wall, but it is about to enter real life on a campus, owned by a kid in his early 20's. Good luck, Raleigh.

It is a very lightly used late 70's 23 1/2" (59cm) Raleigh Super Course in gold, still flaunting some nice decals. Those gumwalls are quite old (near original?) and need to be replaced before I hand it over. Any suggestions for a puncture resistant tire that would look good on a classic 10 speed?

Crying for bar tape. It has its original SunTour Cyclone and bar end shifting. Weimann. Reynolds 531, of course. Posh.
E4794F6F-131B-43CB-A336-3C3D2D80F5E6.jpeg

Built at the Carlton works in merrie olde...
31D80822-31D8-4BCC-BB90-F637AA0B1FC5.jpeg

And a little bragging.
1787CC8B-4880-4B35-B429-465BFB99CEE2.jpeg

This was many notches (and $$$) above the base model Centurion LeMans I bought new in the same era. The Centurion is in the garage, refurbed and currently ridden by son #2. That Japanese bike was "ridden hard and put away wet".

I remember lusting at a Super Course in the local bike shop window in 79 or 80. It had partial chrome on the chainstay's'. Or I may be thinking of an International. I remember it was over 400$ at the time and I w.
as in awe . I bought the Raleigh Super Gran Prix and a few buddies bought the Gran Prix. The difference was about 30$ in the price and mine had bar end shifters and alloy wheels and maybe caged pedals. I still ride today, 40 years later on a steel Bilenky, have had several steel frames over the years. I really believe that I continued to ride due to the alloy wheels on that Super Gran Prix. The Gran Prix had steel wheels which my friends promptly trashed so they quit riding. After my Super Gran Prix I moved up to a Raleigh Professional with sew ups.
I sure hope that bike doesn't get ripped off on campus, really a classic.

I sure hope that bike doesn't get ripped off on campus, really a classic.

My thought also. He needs to do his best locking job every time. He has a Breezer commuter bike for wet days, dark nights, and insecure parking. I would hate for that to get stolen, but it is easily replaced.

Another thing about alloy v steel rims. Rim brakes work much better on alloy than steel. My Centurion started with steel. After a semi-truck forced me into a storm drain grate, I replaced the trashed steel rims with alloy. Suddenly I could stop in less than half a block on the wet days. That may have helped keep me alive and biking.

the derailer Breezer is contesting with my old Trek 930 unsuspended mountain bike for the top of the utility bike podium. Unless, that is, I can get my wife to let me sell her childhood/college Schwinn LeTour and take the Breezer on as her commuter.

The Schwinn is sitting outside, unlocked, (sporting a flat tire with a torn casing) but no one has stepped up and stolen it yet.

The LOTH is a complete convert to the Breezer for her bike commuting. Well, almost complete, the Breezer now sports her childhood Schwinn saddle. She has also been bike commuting more than ever through the summer.

I also got permission to donate the neglected Nashbar 'cast iron' 29er to our local bike charity. So two bikes have gone off to new owners.

Plus three bikes moved out with my eldest when he finally found an apartment. Suddenly there is abundant room in the bike garage. Three people, 8 bikes, seems reasonable. I can breathe again. Five adults and 14 bikes at peak pandemic seemed a little close for comfort.

Top Bottom