What's new

Gamechanger 68 JAWS impressions

A few weeks back, curiosity got the best of me and I went back on my position that I was not going to get a JAWS 68 base plate. I already have the 68p, 84p and JAWS 84. I like these razors. But I wanted to find something between the 68p and 84p as far as far as aggression and some efficiency. I opted for the JAWS 68. I do not like this razor, it’s not notably more efficient and feels more aggressive than any of the others, due to the fact that I find it irritating to use.

What is the community’s experience and consensus on this model? I was torn between the 68 open comb and JAWS 68, and now have my doubts about the open comb since the JAWS 68 has been a wild card.

But I wanted to find something between the 68p and 84p as far as far as aggression and some efficiency.

Can't comment on the open combs, but if you have both of the SB Game Changers, you could try what I do, and "cheat".

I do the WTG and easy stuff with the 84, and the ATG and clean-up with the 68. The shorter handle from a Rockwell helps to make the 68 more agile.

The 84p is great for me, in that I can use it for 3 consecutive days and I’m great. But, I have to take the 4th day off, otherwise my skin starts to get irritated. I am pretty much the same way with the JAWS 84 too. I like the 68p because I can shave daily without worry of irritation. I wanted something just a notch up that would allow for continued daily use.

I used the JAWS 84 today and found it more comfortable than the JAWS 68, so I know it’s not compatible with my face for whatever reason.

The 84p is great for me, in that I can use it for 3 consecutive days and I’m great. But, I have to take the 4th day off, otherwise my skin starts to get irritated.
If I used the 84p for everything, every day, I'd be pushing my luck.

On the other hand, I also found the 68p underwhelming, and I was trying to get something that felt like a Rockwell R5 plate.

What we really need here is a 76p. :001_smile

I found the 68p underwhelming at first. After returning to it, with improved technique, it’s better than I originally assessed. With the 68, I need 2 passes with. A clean up pass in select areas. With either of the 84s, two passes do the trick. I wanted to get into the two passes nothing more but on a true daily driver, all 7 days of the week.

I found the need to have consistently good technique to use the 84p and JAWS 84 was beneficial. Returning the 68p was made better as a result.

That makes sense.

Using a lower plate on the Rockwell was improved by using R6, which I never liked much.

I used my 68 JAWS 2 times (never used the SB plate) but I’m going to let the set go. It is beautiful and gives a great shave but doesn’t do anything for me the BBS doesn’t do.

Top Bottom