What's new

Do you polish new shoes before wearing them for the first time?

I've heard conflicting opinions on this subject, and I would like to know what the the other gentlemen on this forum think about it.

I usually polish new shoes before wearing them, unless I put them on directly after paying for them in the shoe store - them I ask the salesgirl to at least impregnate them.

Since you never know how long the shoes have been in the box at the store, I go through the whole routine before the first wear. Conditioner, polish, and then wax. I think the most important step is applying conditioner. New shoes always seem dry to me and benefit from a good conditioner. I use Saphir Renovateur to condition all my shoes.

I have always just given them a good brushing with a stiff brush. I wear them round the house for several hours of "break-in", after which I will give them a light polish and brush before outdoor wear.

My wife's new leather shoes give out a loud audible squeak when wearing them -what can she do about it?

I definitely should condition and polish before wearing the first time. I think I usually do. I agree with DukeNDuke, except it is not just how long they have been sitting around the store. Could be the warehouse and before that the leather itself may have been a long time away from the tannery before being made into shoes.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Actually no, my handmade shoes come already polished and buffed straight out of the manufacturing process. The artisans always do a great job.

Nope. Actually fill them with water and let it soak in for about 5 mins. Put them on for at least 8 hours and allow them to break in and conform to my feet. After that I polish them.

I usually just polish new dress shoes with a polishing cloth. Not much more until they need a full cleaning/wax/shine.

I wear a lot of boots in the fall-spring and barely do anything until they visibly need a spa visit. Mostly Red Wings, Canada West and Wolverine 1000 Miles, so they look good with a bit of wear even for business casual.

Top Bottom