What's new

Suggest favorite boar, badger brushes

A Shavemac Silvertip Bulb is hard to beat for the money. These brushes are very consistent and high quality. They are a reasonable price and will give any badger a run for its money.

Simpson Duke 3 and Plisson #12 are my other picks.

I’m not much of a boar man.

I have only tried a few of each. Among boar brushes, I've tried several Omegas, one Schone and one that I do not know the name of. Of those, my favorite is an Omega. The Connaught Omega with faux jade handle.

Among badger brushes I have tried two Envy Shave Luxury silvertips, a Golden Nib Silvertip, a Parker Pure, an Art of Shaving pure, and an Edwin Jagger best. My favorite of those is by far the Envy Shave Luxurty silvertip. It is my softest knot and is dense giving it some backbone. The Golden Nib by comparison is floppy and scritchy.

Only got one badger (Muhle silvertip) which is excellent btw, tried boar but its not for me hard bristles causes irritation at times, my main brushes are synthetics now easy to lather easy to clean and cheaper and best of all somehow they give me better shaves

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds to me like you might be looking to upgrade your brush collection. If you are what would your budget be?

There is really no "best", but one of my favorites is the Zenith B03-A26 aluminum boar brush. Don't let people tell you boar brushes are harsh or rough, this one is very soft and comfortable to use. It does take a couple of weeks to break in, but well worth it.
zenith-pure-bristle-bleached-aluminum-handle-niquel-ring-b03-a26.jpg

Started with boars, but these days I am almost exclusively a ‘badger guy!’

My current favorites include two Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-bands, a Greydog 2-band, and a selection of Simpsons in best and super.

Omega 11126 boar...
Shavemac D01 two band in a Rudy Vey handle
All anyone needs really (but I am not in that group).

If you can find an old, or NOS, B&B Essential brush grab it. That's the best animal hair brush I've ever used. I think it was an Omega?

For badger, I recommend the Shavemac two-band silver tip (either bulb or fan). But, for best bang for the buck that can rival the $$$ ones, my Yaqi two-band fan in the space handle stands out.

For boar, I cannot imagine enjoying anything more than my Zenith 27.5mm Boar, Copper handle, B33/506 Copper. The handle does not matter—that knot is fantastic. It's in other handles too I believe.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have one Omega boar, great brush excellent value. I have one badger brush, Ice brand, pure bristle. I rarely see this brand around, it’s a wee bit scritchy compared to my boar, but lathers well enough. Hard to advise as I have little to compare it too. I guess they are my favourites as I don’t have anything else.

I no longer use either but when I did:

Boar: Semogue 1800, unique and comfortable, no other boar is remotely like it. Slow to face-lather tho.

Badger: Simpson Commodore X3, just a big smooth comfy Cadillac on the face. Perfect knot dimensions and handle size / shape. If I didn’t move to synthetics this is what I’d happily drive every single day.

But this is wet-shaving, and competition is tough. The Maggard Timberwolf synthetic kills them all. Synthetics for the win.

Top Bottom