What's new

Newbie looking to find what works best for me.

I might give the mentholated aftershave any recommendations on a good one preferably a balm style
Stirling makes fantastic balms and they offer several mentholated options.

what would be a good razor to try i was considering a slant or an adjustable but i have to watch carefully how much i am spending. Suggestions on a few razors would be appreciated

A Gillette Slim can be had for not much money. They shave very well and are adjustable, so you can go from mild to wild with the twist of a knob. That may help you dial in your preference (no pun intended).

Welcome!

To see if more aggressive razor might work better for you while not having to purchase anything else you can try using shims.

You can make a shim out a used DE razor blade by using scissors to cut the cutting edge off of both sides of the blade. (If you cut over a trash can you the blade edges should fall right in there by avoiding having to handle them.) By placing the shim (or shims) between your razor blade and the bottom plate of your razor you will increase the blade gap and blade exposure making the razor more aggressive.

That will be todays experiment thanks yesterday was cold water shave im going to have to try that a couple times as well

Welcome, glad you found us! As you start to find what works for you, I suggest not trying different items. This is called a Fixed 4, which is use the same razor, soap, brush, & brand of blade for 1 month straight. This lets you focus on developing good technique. When you use a different item (blade, razor, soap, or brush) you are introducing a variable & you have a difficult time learning how to properly shave. Eliminate variables & all you have left is technique that causes different levels of comfort in your shaves. You won't get perfect technique after one month of a Fixed 4, but you will dramatically improve. The best thing to do to get better at this wonderful pastime... practice!

I haven’t heard of brush burn from a silvertip before as they’re usually very soft but everyone’s skin and beard types are different. If a silvertip isn’t doing it for you, consider forgoing the brush altogether. You can still get a very good shave with the right razor, blade and cream. I’ve found that certain creams like Tabac for instance, have a consistency which allow me to get away with going brushless and using my hands to work a lather directly onto my face. This is what I opt for when traveling to reduce the amount of shaving gear. Keep trying and you’ll find what works for you.

Welcome, glad you found us! As you start to find what works for you, I suggest not trying different items. This is called a Fixed 4, which is use the same razor, soap, brush, & brand of blade for 1 month straight. This lets you focus on developing good technique. When you use a different item (blade, razor, soap, or brush) you are introducing a variable & you have a difficult time learning how to properly shave. Eliminate variables & all you have left is technique that causes different levels of comfort in your shaves. You won't get perfect technique after one month of a Fixed 4, but you will dramatically improve. The best thing to do to get better at this wonderful pastime... practice!
Thank you for advise hope your day is filled with peace and joy that transcends understanding

I haven’t heard of brush burn from a silvertip before as they’re usually very soft but everyone’s skin and beard types are different. If a silvertip isn’t doing it for you, consider forgoing the brush altogether. You can still get a very good shave with the right razor, blade and cream. I’ve found that certain creams like Tabac for instance, have a consistency which allow me to get away with going brushless and using my hands to work a lather directly onto my face. This is what I opt for when traveling to reduce the amount of shaving gear. Keep trying and you’ll find what works for you.
Thank you for the good advice i hope your day is filled with peace and joy that transcends understanding

After shaving I rinse my face and wash any residue off with a face soap. I'm currently using Vanicream, a body wash approved by the Eczema Institute. For a moisturizer, I use Cerave. Cold water definitely helps me, but I usually cheat and crank it up to lukewarm. Good luck, and keep us informed on what works for you.

After shaving I rinse my face and wash any residue off with a face soap. I'm currently using Vanicream, a body wash approved by the Eczema Institute. For a moisturizer, I use Cerave. Cold water definitely helps me, but I usually cheat and crank it up to lukewarm. Good luck, and keep us informed on what works for you.
Thank you I appreciate the advice. I hope your day is filled with peace and joy that transcends understanding .

washing my face after the shave has helped a lot thank you.

I
what would be a good razor to try i was considering a slant or an adjustable but i have to watch carefully how much i am spending. Suggestions on a few razors would be appreciated
I have tons of razors, but I’d suggest sticking with the EJ and going with a sharper blade. I can’t say enough good about the Gillette Platinum Blue blades.

For an adjustable, the Parker Variant is my favorite (by far).

Last edited:
Learn to map your beard growth. Not everyone's beard grows in the same direction. Try only shaving with the grain and across the grain. The irritation usually comes from shaving against the grain.

Get yout technique correct first then think about a change to other razor variations.
Merkur 37C if you want a slant razor and the Merkur Progress for an adjustable razor. Both two piece razors and very popular.

Hi everyone my name is Zachary but you can call me captain ridiculous. My wonderful wife has given me that nick name my supper powers are Love kindness and gentleness. Shaving seems to be my kryptonite . I have eczema with dry skin with a coarse beard. I have found that my best combination so far the least irritation for me has been my west coast shaving closed comb with a feather blade , prep , wholly kaw bare siero with nivia sensitive skin with a heavy moisturizer at the end. I am highly allergic to the proraso line have a de89 and bevel razors that do not work for my coarse hair and i seem to get brush burn from boar or silver-tip badger hair brushes. I have had a varity pack of blades it seems the smother they are the more irritated my skin gets. I would be happy for advice on hardware or products that could make my shaves more comfortable. Thanks in advance have a super fantastic day with peace and joy that transcends understanding. Without wax captain ridiculous.

Welcome to B&B! 😀

If you do a bit of research on these forums, you'll find that this question keeps coming back over and over and over again. A lot of guys seem to think they have "tough, coarse beard" and "sensitive skin".

Let me show you an example of what a truly coarse, dense beard is

If your beard is like this guy's, then accept my apologies.

Jokes aside, unless you have a skin condition that requires special medical care and seeing a dermatologists, fortunately it boils down to technique, practice and a good face-prep. There's nothing else to it, really.

The face-prep was discussed here: Close comfortable shave not possible? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/close-comfortable-shave-not-possible.594798/post-10892759

As for hardware, I'm one of those people who believe that a SR is the best option, if you want to obtain the utmost mild and gentle shave. Getting there takes some time and I fully understand if honing, stropping and purchasing an arsenal of tools to maintain your gear is not everyone's cup of coffee. Fine with that, it wasn't mine either until I converted 😂. That's why I always, always recommend the Feather Artist Club razor, which is in essence a no-stropping, no-honing SR, sharper than what 90% (99%?) of the DYI honners are able to achieve in terms of sharpness. It is wicked sharp and shaves like a dream.

Again - the best thing is to see a dermatologist, if it is really bad.

Last edited:
I

I have tons of razors, but I’d suggest sticking with the EJ and going with a sharper blade. I can’t say enough good about the Gillette Platinum Blue blades.

The ej with a feather blade just dose not do it for me what about the se
I

What do you think about the artist club blades. The ej even with a feather is ruff for me . I will look for
Welcome to B&B! 😀

If you do a bit of research on these forums, you'll find that this question keeps coming back over and over and over again. A lot of guys seem to think they have "tough, coarse beard" and "sensitive skin".

Let me show you an example of what a truly coarse, dense beard is

If your beard is like this guy's, then accept my apologies.

Jokes aside, unless you have a skin condition that requires special medical care and seeing a dermatologists, fortunately it boils down to technique, practice and a good face-prep. There's nothing else to it, really.

The face-prep was discussed here: Close comfortable shave not possible? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/close-comfortable-shave-not-possible.594798/post-10892759

As for hardware, I'm one of those people who believe that a SR is the best option, if you want to obtain the utmost mild and gentle shave. Getting there takes some time and I fully understand if honing, stropping and purchasing an arsenal of tools to maintain your gear is not everyone's cup of coffee. Fine with that, it wasn't mine either until I converted 😂. That's why I always, always recommend the Feather Artist Club razor, which is in essence a no-stropping, no-honing SR, sharper than what 90% (99%?) of the DYI honners are able to achieve in terms of sharpness. It is wicked sharp and shaves like a dream.

Again - the best thing is to see a dermatologist, if it is really bad.
I think the se is actually the way im going to go is the hawk aluminum is it any good. I do see a dermatologist for my excima and another skin condition that i never remember the name of. That is how my beard grows except its red . Any recommendations on se razors.

The ej with a feather blade just dose not do it for me what about the se

What do you think about the artist club blades. The ej even with a feather is ruff for me . I will look for

I think the se is actually the way im going to go is the hawk aluminum is it any good. I do see a dermatologist for my excima and another skin condition that i never remember the name of. That is how my beard grows except its red . Any recommendations on se razors.
I would be careful with SEs, allow me to explain what I mean.

The SE has the same operating principle as a DE razor, just with a single blade. But the way you shave is the same - you're holding the blade with a handle perpendicularly attached to it, thus the manuverability is limitted in terms of angle at which the blade's edge contact your skin.

You can never achieve the same level of "manuverability" with these devices as you can with a simple unprotected blade that you hold parallel to your face, instead of perpendicular.

That is why all of us SR converts rave about the mildness and gentelness of the shave. That luxury, you can also have with a Feather AC. I use the non-folding (aka Japanese style) and I can atest that it shaves better, much more gentle and easier than any DE I've ever used. Truth be told, I never used an SE razor (not that I have any desire to try it), but I'm pretty darn sure it's the same thing as a DE in terms of holding it... and if you don't hold it under an ideal angle, you never get a great shave, like with any DE. With SRs there is no such challenge, as you simply adjust as you go and shave by feel. When I shaev wiht my SRs, I don't even think about my "technique" or angle or any of that, I could glide the blade over my cheeks with my eyes closed... you just feel what's right.

BTW, at 60-70$ for the Feather AC SS (Kai is even cheapper) it's worth a try at least. Just my 2C's...

I would be careful with SEs, allow me to explain what I mean.

The SE has the same operating principle as a DE razor, just with a single blade. But the way you shave is the same - you're holding the blade with a handle perpendicularly attached to it, thus the manuverability is limitted in terms of angle at which the blade's edge contact your skin.

You can never achieve the same level of "manuverability" with these devices as you can with a simple unprotected blade that you hold parallel to your face, instead of perpendicular.

That is why all of us SR converts rave about the mildness and gentelness of the shave. That luxury, you can also have with a Feather AC. I use the non-folding (aka Japanese style) and I can atest that it shaves better, much more gentle and easier than any DE I've ever used. Truth be told, I never used an SE razor (not that I have any desire to try it), but I'm pretty darn sure it's the same thing as a DE in terms of holding it... and if you don't hold it under an ideal angle, you never get a great shave, like with any DE. With SRs there is no such challenge, as you simply adjust as you go and shave by feel. When I shaev wiht my SRs, I don't even think about my "technique" or angle or any of that, I could glide the blade over my cheeks with my eyes closed... you just feel what's right.

BTW, at 60-70$ for the Feather AC SS (Kai is even cheapper) it's worth a try at least. Just my 2C's...
I like the barber shaves with straight razor I am sort of scared to try it myself. I have hand and shoulder problems from being a toolmaker. De shaving is doable but hard. Over the last six months i have done tons of research on de and thankfully found you guys for tips and tricks. The article on prep was helpful i will add more time to routine with waiting after shave cream is on face . Do you have any recommendations for good places to learn how to use the blade style u use videos and articles . I was considering the se like hawk hoping would be more forgiving. I relly like the straight edge shave when a skilled barber does it.

I like the barber shaves with straight razor I am sort of scared to try it myself. I have hand and shoulder problems from being a toolmaker. De shaving is doable but hard. Over the last six months i have done tons of research on de and thankfully found you guys for tips and tricks. The article on prep was helpful i will add more time to routine with waiting after shave cream is on face . Do you have any recommendations for good places to learn how to use the blade style u use videos and articles . I was considering the se like hawk hoping would be more forgiving. I relly like the straight edge shave when a skilled barber does it.
I can only tell you with credibility what my own experience was FWIW.

My first "straight razor" was a cheap Parker SRX shavette. I wanted to "get a feel for a SR shaving", before I ditch out hundreds of dollars (Euros actually in my case)... so anyway, this thing takes DE blades snapped in half.

Shaving with it (as I learned once I started shaving with real SR) is not like a SR. The blade is short, it's thin and flexible, so you get no benefits that you normally do shaving with a SR. On top of that I practically only used Feather DE blades, so even the slightest mistake with that combo results in blood. This is to me BY FAR the nastiest shaving device I ever held in my hand and I never liked it. That said however, once I started shaving with a real SR it was SO MUCH EASIER, it was a true joy coming off of half-DE blade type shavette.

The reason I got the Feather AC was to have a "reference razor" for sharpness, as Feather Pro Blades are wicked sharp. When you're new to this, it's important to have that reference (at least to me it was).

As for good place to learn, again - my own experience, these 3 guys:

Lynn Abrams - https://www.youtube.com/user/LynnSAbrams

On GeoFatBoy's channel type in the "Feather Artist Club" and there are several reviews, he's doing a great job demonstrating the finest of nuances of how to use it.

Hope it helps!

Top Bottom