What's new

Any brandy or cognac lovers?

Armagnac is greatly under appreciated.
8DE9D7E8-82D7-43F2-892C-9DC3C19C9BBF.jpeg

Beautiful shelf! Which is your favorite cognac of that bunch? Also, how do the Armagnacs compare to the cognacs?
Hennessy Privilege (VSOP) just by a hair over the 1738.
Armagnac has a much wider flavor profile than cognac. If you like cognac I strongly suggest at least trying Armagnac. The great thing about Armagnac, like aged rum, you can get an outstanding bottle for a fraction of what other spirits cost.

Can you tell me more about it? It sounds interesting.

I believe the recipe goes back to the early 1800s. In Italy, at least in my family, it is considered a more affordable brandy that tastes like a more expensive brandy.
To my tongue it feels smooth, warm, a little sweet at the end. I was just reviewing some sites about it and they describe "clove, coffee and honey lingering on the enduring, smooth finish". I would agree.
To my peasant palate, it has always tasted like a smooth, sweeter more refined version of the grappas I tried in my younger years.
My apologies, I am not too good with describing flavours and scents.
In my household it is a drink for a wet autumn day, on a Sunday afternoon, to reflect on the past week, and look forward to the week to come.
I am not sure how easily accessible it is in the USA (or affordable), but I would recommend it. Perhaps try it at one of your watering holes, before purchasing.
The one I have is "etichetta nera", black sticker. Some of the more expensive options have different-colour stickers.

IMG_20200902_074948.jpg

Anyone try ABK6 vs or vsop?
1599078415758.png

I have been looking at these. They are very affordable cognac and I haven’t heard anything bad.

I believe the recipe goes back to the early 1800s. In Italy, at least in my family, it is considered a more affordable brandy that tastes like a more expensive brandy.
To my tongue it feels smooth, warm, a little sweet at the end. I was just reviewing some sites about it and they describe "clove, coffee and honey lingering on the enduring, smooth finish". I would agree.
To my peasant palate, it has always tasted like a smooth, sweeter more refined version of the grappas I tried in my younger years.
My apologies, I am not too good with describing flavours and scents.
In my household it is a drink for a wet autumn day, on a Sunday afternoon, to reflect on the past week, and look forward to the week to come.
I am not sure how easily accessible it is in the USA (or affordable), but I would recommend it. Perhaps try it at one of your watering holes, before purchasing.
The one I have is "etichetta nera", black sticker. Some of the more expensive options have different-colour stickers.

View attachment 1149010
Thanks for the description. I may be able to order some. I have some great (fuzzy) memories of drinking homemade grappa at deer camp after dinner. That stuff packs a wallop!

I’ve decided to explore brandy and cognac. Some friends have been telling me about their favorites . Hennessy, Remy, and D’Usse are their top 3. I picked this Remy up for $54 at Costco today. Five days to go with my dry January. Then I’ll give it a sample.

0B6C02CD-92CF-4DAB-ADA6-1F824C6E89D8.jpeg

Thanks for the description. I may be able to order some. I have some great (fuzzy) memories of drinking homemade grappa at deer camp after dinner. That stuff packs a wallop!

I tend to think of grappa as more or less fire water, but I have never explored higher end versions. The hotelier wherever we were in Tuscany suggested it as a digestif after eating a heavy meal of steak to help sort of cut through the fats. I think he was quite right. When it comes to eating, the Italians truly get things right to me.

I prefer Calvados, but there are some nice fines: Fine de la Marne, Fine de Bourgogne, Fine de Bordeaux. Nantais Brandy is quite popular. I do enjoy Marc, such as Marc de Champagne. There are alternatives to Calvados such as Lambig/Fine Bretagne.
Another Apple Brandy is Fine du Maine.
I will try and procure a bottle...

Another Fine is Fine Faugères.

Marc de Bourgogne which is a pomace brandy has a finer version where the stalks have been removed which is labelled Marc Egrappe.

Last edited:
I went to Total Wine and More because I got a 10% coupon. Got these two and forgot to use the coupon. 😐 Dry January ends this Sunday. Which should I open to sample first? 🤔

00BB9255-7677-42AC-A194-71C0D0BF41DD.jpeg

Marc de Bourgogne which is a pomace brandy has a finer version where the stalks have been removed which is labelled Marc Egrappe.

AFAIK, "grappa" is the Italian word for a pomace brandy, and "marc" is the French word. "Pomace" being the solids part of the "must" which results when grapes are crushed to produce wine. Interesting to know that there is a version where the stalks are removed, leaving seeds and skins, I suppose, maybe stems?

I take it that the word "fine" as a noun is applied only to grape brandies?

I take it that the word "fine" as a noun is applied only to grape brandies?
No, the Fine du Maine and Fine Bretagne are Apple Brandies comparable to Calvados. Actually Maine - Sarthe and Mayenne, is allowed to produce Calvados in certain villages, whilst others use the Fine du Maine designation.

Cognac has been loved to death. Literally. The product has declined precipitously. A visit to Cognac and Jarmac 10 years ago taught me that the yield from the various cru has been increased 3-400% in recent decades, partially by bringing more marginal land in each cru under production, but mostly through the use of fertilizers and insecticides. The terrior has been altered in order to meet market demands.

Top Bottom