What's new

Is aftershave REALLY necessary?

I like it for how it feels and smells. YMMV.

Aftershaves can be costly or inexpensive. My most expensive but not costly aftershaves are various Fine selections at around $20 for a 3.3 ounce bottle. Least expensive but a classic is Clubman for just a few dollars for a 6 ounce bottle. Others like Floid Vigoroso fall somewhere in the middle.

Without a special finish, a shave is just a shave...

Amen. It’s why aftershave represents about 90% of what i’ve spent on DE shaving. I feel like scents are really a good way to remember certain times in your life and if i’ve taken an aftershave on a great trip somewhere, smelling it brings me right back. It’s the little things in life i guess.

It is not a necessity. If your face feels good after shaving then don't use any product. My face needs some nourishment. It used to be Nivea balm, once I tried Old Spice AS and discovered I get better results. It tightens skin better than just alum and reduces chance of small whiteheads and ingrowns on my neck. And my neck loves to get me bot of those day after shaving

Totally unnecessary. I shaved from 15-33 without using it. My skin was no better or worse. But now? Totally addicted to it. It’s the best part of a shave to me. So i’d say if you don’t want to spend $ on it or don’t like it, just skip it.
+1

If you are proposing no aftershave, why use shaving cream or soap? for centuries people shaved without soap or even sharp steel blades? none of this is really necessary :):):):):) Maybe go back to a
tub heated by water warmed over an open fire? and monthly baths, needed or not? I can see a new trend, shaving with a nice hunting knife, you tube videos to follow :):):)

Is it? Because it costs money everytime I need to buy a bottle.

Or would rinsing off the lather with water be enough? Maybe use alum or something.
Yes it is necessary, because when you shave you can cut yourself and the alcohol in the aftershave kills the bacteria. Some aftershaves have ingredients which are beneficial for your skin and will help the skin recover faster from any damage caused to it by shaving.

If you want to go to the cheapest route, and I mean the cheapest of the cheapest you simply can use only olive oil. Just take a hot shower and when you;re ready to shave just apply the oil on your beard and massage it for a while and shave! When you're done just wash your face and you're done. Olive oil has anti bacterial properties.

When I used to cartridge shave I never used an aftershave and I survived all of those years.

My brother doesn't even soap and he uses the same cart for months before tossing it and I've never seen him with a beard or stubble like I usually have when I don't shave for a couple days.

Is shaving altogether really necessary?

Is adding sugar to your coffee really necessary?

OH wait, is drinking coffee really necessary?

Is owning a car really necessary?

The list is endless...

Dude, if buying an aftershave is such a big deal financially, with drugstore AS costing a few bucks, I'd get a second job instead of hanging on the B&B, asking no-brainer Qs. No hard feeling.

Top Bottom