What's new

Why synthetic?

I used only real silvertip best badger brushes for years
I have tried some "not expensive" synthetic brushes, didn't like them
But, than I have bought lately the G4 knot (some say it is the BEST synthetic know today), and never went back to badger hair

The leather I get with it, is just insane!
I mean, you know like you buy a new CD/DAC/Speakers and need to re-hear all of your old music collection?
This is how I feel here!
Every soap/cream I have just "sound" better with the G4, it has a great backbone, it "gives" lather like no other brush
I am really in love with it

I really think anyone should give it a try

I 'tried' synthetic brushes about 5 years ago after a damp summer family camping vacation in Vermont. Even though it was August, and comfortable on the mountainside campsite, the two badger brushes I had brought never fully dried out the whole two weeks that we were there. So I bit the bullet and ordered a synthetic brush. I forget which one I ordered first, but because of the relatively low cost I now have a small collection of synths.

I imagine that some short time in the future animal brushes will be a historical oddity and everyone who gets into wet shaving will simply use synthetic brushes. Synthetics have a lot of advantages, however for those of us who started out with badger or boar, the lack of face feel and inability to hold heat is not one of them. I alternate between boar, badger and synthetic, depending on what strikes my fancy.

For me, synthetics are the equal of any boar/badger when one bowl lathers. When I face lather, though, the synthetic is never as easy. I'm sure I just have to adjust my technique, but I haven't found that sweet spot yet (I currently assume it's that I have my synths too dry during loading).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For me, synthetics are the equal of any boar/badger when one bowl lathers. When I face lather, though, the synthetic is never as easy. I'm sure I just have to adjust my technique, but I haven't found that sweet spot yet (I currently assume it's that I have my synths too dry during loading).

I found that when using creams, both boar and synthetic need to visit the bowl first for best results, yet both can both bypass that with most soaps (Martin de Candre being a notable exception).

I haven't tried badger, and am unlikely to, as I'm perfectly happy with my current brushes.

When I first went back to wet shaving several years ago, I thought I HAD to have a badger brush, so I bought a Parker. Not a bad brush, but it did shed occasionally. Then I decided to buy an inexpensive synthetic from Maggard's for my travel kit, for the obvious reason that it would dry easier. I was pleasantly surprised by its performance, so about a year ago, I saw the one below on Maggard's website. I have big hands, and since it was advertised as a large brush I decided to go for it. It's BIG, esp. compared to my other brushes, but man does it produce the lather!! I may have to go back and give the old badger a try just to compare it again, but I can't get over how well this one performs. Looks as good as the day I opened the box too.....!

Since getting my Chubby 2 Synthetic and Simpson Trafalgar brushes, they have become my preferred brushes to use. I simply like how they perform and the other benefits associates with synthetics is icing on the cake. I still like badger brushes, but at least for the time being, I'm loving my synthetics and reach for them most often.

Synthetic benefits:
1) No soaking
2) More hygienic
3) Quicker drying
4) Less likely to shed
5) Lower cost
6) No downside in performance (IMO)
7) No animals harmed
What he said.

Some of the big reasons are durability and the fact that they dry really fast. For travel, a synthetic is a great option because you can leave it out to dry for a few hours and it will be dry enough to throw in your bag.
Also because the fibers in a synthetic brush are plastic, they will last forever, in theory (or until the glue in the handle fails).

What do you think of these, if you compare with Yaqi?

I have a Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown that is a really nice brush, but I do like the Simpson brushes better. The Chubby is in its own league and I like it a lot better than any synthetic that I've tried (softer than any others and super dense). It just feels like pure luxury. The Trafalgar brushes are not as big of improvement over the Yaqi or the Maggards & Plissoft brushes that I have, but they have a unique diameter to loft ratio that I like better (they have a low loft without being too springy). The handles on the Trafalgar brushes are fantastic and feel like they belong on a brush with a higher price point.

Last edited:
I ventured into synthetics because what I read about the source of badger hair.

Fortunately, after trying it, I have never looked back. Between not needing to soak it and superior lathering performance (generated tons of lather almost instantaneously compared with the badger I was using at the time), I have never looked back. The other attributes listed by others (quick drying, hypoallergenic, hygienic) are just icing on the cake.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have four brushes, badger, boar, horse and synthetic. They are all modestly priced and I’m very pleased with them all. That being said I am curious about the mystique surrounding a certain brand of badger brush. I do use the natural hairs more than the synthetic only because it’s 3-1 right now.

I have four brushes, badger, boar, horse and synthetic. They are all modestly priced and I’m very pleased with them all. That being said I am curious about the mystique surrounding a certain brand of badger brush. I do use the natural hairs more than the synthetic only because it’s 3-1 right now.
I could never do that and I'm envious of those that can do it. Once I tried the synthetic, I had to get rid of the badger. Going back to the badger felt too cumbersome. But that's me -- one razor, one blade, one soap, one brush. If I find something better, I will switch to that, not add it to a rotation.

I had 2 synths. I kept the best one and replaced the other with a boar knot. I had a badger. Didn't like it and replaced the knot with a boar. Yeah, it's obvious where this is going. I now own 6 boars and 1 synth. It's a WCS synth and only one that can hang with my boars. I just really like boars especially after they break in. To me, the break in is just part of it and feeling the difference as it breaks in is wonderful. Sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

I have a Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown that is a really nice brush, but I do like the Simpson brushes better. The Chubby is in its own league and I like it a lot better than any synthetic that I've tried (softer than any others and super dense). It just feels like pure luxury. The Trafalgar brushes are not as big of improvement over the Yaqi or the Maggards & Plissoft brushes that I have, but they have a unique diameter to loft ratio that I like better (they have a low loft without being too springy). The handles on the Trafalgar brushes are fantastic and feel like they belong on a brush with a higher price point.
Thank's for your response. Among my Yaqi brushes, I have my favorite in the Yaqi Chianti 24mm Synthetic, but am still looking for something that might raise the level a notch. Now that I am finally happy with my selection of razors, blades, soaps and after shaves, I feel that there is something still missing when it comes to brushes.
I have ordered the Trafalger T2 but now I also want the Chubby 2 Synthetic Bristle faux. The only concern, it looks like the handle is a bit short? Sorry if I take the focus away from the topic of the thread.

Top Bottom