What's new

Rockwell 6S Review: day-by-day, plate-by-plate

I received a brand new Rockwell 6S, sent to me as part of a trade. Over the course of 4 days (so far), I have tested each plate in order. I thought that bringing the reviews here might be fun for the group.

These SOTD reviews were originally posted in the Arko August thread, hence the references and the focus on the brush/lather.

After I get through plate 6 - assuming I'm still alive - I'll post my overall results and assessment, along with some pics of the razor's components.

So glad you are enjoying the 6S!

Mine should be shipped today - I had pre-ordered one of the new blue ones about a week before our trade and today is supposed to be the initial shipment date!!

SOTD: Friday, 8/21
  • Rockwell 6S (5)
  • Nacet (5)
  • Arko for August (in a re-used tub)
  • SOC Taj Resin Handle
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
Day 5 means plate 5. I was afraid that after using the 4 plate yesterday, with such fine results, I wouldn't have much to shave this morning. But just as the sun rises in the east, my whiskers grow back overnight, and so the game was on.

The 5 plate felt a lot like the 4 plate, just...more. There was more blade feel, more feedback, more efficiency. I can't say that there was more smoothness, but I don't think it was diminished, either. I was able to run through my normal course of a shave, and I noticed just a touch more efficiency in the process. The shaving angle seemed just as intuitive, though I found myself going with a bit steeper angle in an effort to remain blood-free.

I followed my usual pattern, which is mostly WTG for one pass, then XTG for the second pass, with a little light ATG buffing in the safest trouble spots. I'm very much in favor of a good shave, balancing maximum whisker removal with minimal skin removal.

In this case, I had the confidence to get a bit frisky and went ATG at the corners of my mouth, which is a very sensitive area with some stubborn whiskers - I call them "the trolls" because they hunker down in their little space and laugh at the razor passing overhead. Today, though, I managed to catch them napping and they're mostly cleared out until tomorrow, with just a tiny blood-spot for my trouble. With practice, I could probably get more surgical with my motions and avoid the damage.

SWMBO felt my face after the shave (but before the after-care regimen) and remarked on the smooth results, so that's something.

At the end of the after-care regimen, the vintage Bay Rum gave me a warm sensation - perhaps 10% more than yesterday. That's not saying much, since the aftershave application after plate 4 afforded just a hint of heat, which speaks to the modest jump in aggression and blade exposure for plate 5.

In all, the 5 plate is really nice. I don't know that it's better (for me) than the 4 plate - I think it's right on the edge, where I have to decide if I want the very fine balance tilted toward comfort or efficiency. On the positive side, I think that with some practice with the razor, I could probably achieve both.

And with that, I'm ready for plate 6!

SOTD_08212020_1.jpg

Last edited:
I love my 6C. I use R6 and once in a way R5. R6 is great imho - wipes out whiskers really well. And when R6 isn't enough there's my Fatip Piccolo. Good luck with your 6C - it's a great razor!
So in your opinion the Piccolo is more efficient than the R6 plate? I just got a Piccolo a few weeks ago and I really like but from reading the reviews I thought it was going to be more aggressive than it is. Interested in the comparison of the R5 or R6 to the Piccolo. Don't want to totally hijack this thread but had to ask :)

So in your opinion the Piccolo is more efficient than the R6 plate? I just got a Piccolo a few weeks ago and I really like but from reading the reviews I thought it was going to be more aggressive than it is. Interested in the comparison of the R5 or R6 to the Piccolo. Don't want to totally hijack this thread but had to ask :)
Measure your top cap. If it's 18mm wide, you have the milder version, usually referred to as the Mk2. And if that's the case, I could send you my Mk1 with its 17mm top cap, which definitely isn't tame (to me), so you can try it. I'll be using my 6S for a while. :D

My experience was plate 3 worked, but only with a Nacet. Plate 4 was the perfect one with any blade. Plate 5 had too much blade feel with no extra efficiency over 4. So, your results thus far mirror my experience.

Your question is quite difficult to answer, but here's an attempt using an example.
I'm currently using a Derby Premium blade, the first four shaves of which were made using my Rockwell 6c on R6. The blade started to feel tired at the end of shave four, and so I moved it to the Fatip Piccolo. Today's shave was shave 10 on the blade and it still feels as if there are more to come. I hope that helps.

Measure your top cap. If it's 18mm wide, you have the milder version, usually referred to as the Mk2. And if that's the case, I could send you my Mk1 with its 17mm top cap, which definitely isn't tame (to me), so you can try it. I'll be using my 6S for a while. :D
Whoops, my mistake. The Mk1 top cap is 18mm wide, while the Mk2 has been measured anywhere from 19mm to 19.6mm. The offer stands, though - if you have a Mk2, I can send my Mk1 for you to try. :)

Whoops, my mistake. The Mk1 top cap is 18mm wide, while the Mk2 has been measured anywhere from 19mm to 19.6mm. The offer stands, though - if you have a Mk2, I can send my Mk1 for you to try. :)
Very kind of you to offer @foolingmortal but I don’t want to put you out. Plus I’d get lazy and “forget” to return it! 🤣 I am still learning to dial in the Mk2. Love reading your reports on the Rockwell!

SOTD: Friday, 8/21
  • Rockwell 6S (5)
  • Nacet (5)
  • SOC Taj Resin Handle
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
Day 5 means plate 5. I was afraid that after using the 4 plate yesterday, with such fine results, I wouldn't have much to shave this morning. But just as the sun rises in the east, my whiskers grow back overnight, and so the game was on.

The 5 plate felt a lot like the 4 plate, just...more. There was more blade feel, more feedback, more efficiency. I can't say that there was more smoothness, but I don't think it was diminished, either. I was able to run through my normal course of a shave, and I noticed just a touch more efficiency in the process. The shaving angle seemed just as intuitive, though I found myself going with a bit steeper angle in an effort to remain blood-free.

I followed my usual pattern, which is mostly WTG for one pass, then XTG for the second pass, with a little light ATG buffing in the safest trouble spots. I'm very much in favor of a good shave, balancing maximum whisker removal with minimal skin removal.

In this case, I had the confidence to get a bit frisky and went ATG at the corners of my mouth, which is a very sensitive area with some stubborn whiskers - I call them "the trolls" because they hunker down in their little space and laugh at the razor passing overhead. Today, though, I managed to catch them napping and they're mostly cleared out until tomorrow, with just a tiny blood-spot for my trouble. With practice, I could probably get more surgical with my motions and avoid the damage.

SWMBO felt my face after the shave (but before the after-care regimen) and remarked on the smooth results, so that's something.

At the end of the after-care regimen, the vintage Bay Rum gave me a warm sensation - perhaps 10% more than yesterday. That's not saying much, since the aftershave application after plate 4 afforded just a hint of heat, which speaks to the modest jump in aggression and blade exposure for plate 5.

In all, the 5 plate is really nice. I don't know that it's better (for me) than the 4 plate - I think it's right on the edge, where I have to decide if I want the very fine balance tilted toward comfort or efficiency. On the positive side, I think that with some practice with the razor, I could probably achieve both.

And with that, I'm ready for plate 6!

View attachment 1143118
I’ve not been brave enough yet to go past plate 4. Your posts are steeling my courage.

Once I hit plate r6 I put the other plates away in a drawer never to see the light of day again. I love my Rockwell on 6 and it’s my daily driver.

My new Blackland Dart is getting the love this week though. Don’t think it’ll steal the crown from my Rockwell though.

Excellent thread. Great job FoolishMortal ! For me and my face —-
My Rockwell 6C, plate 4, with a Gillette Nacet ..... Pretty perfect !

Super fil👍
Sque j'ai depuis plus de 1 ans, j'ai remarqué que le choix de la lame a une très grande importance.
Au début j'utilise un derby qui allait pas trop mal mais sans plus.
Ensuite, j'ai beaucoup utiliser les lames rockwell qui vont très bien avec le pareil 6S / 6C.
Aujourd'hui je me re-lance à la recherche de LA lame idéal pour mon 6S. Et j'ai donc choisi de tester quelques boiteux que je n'avais pas encore testé, astra SS, 7o'clocke SS vetre, personna lab blue, et rapira swedish qui je pense est la meilleure.
Par contre la pir des pir lame est la shark 😨😨et la wilkinson😠😠
Après chacun son visage chacun est un favori boiteux.
Mais je pense que la matière de la lame joue beaucoup à son efficacité
les lames en acier inoxydable sont meilleurs je pense
un vérifier ...
mes plaques quotidienne sont R3 ou R5 si 48h de pousse.
Je rase le crâne (tête entière ) et la barbe.😉

Last edited:
SOTD: Saturday, 8/22
  • Rockwell 6S (6)
  • Nacet (6)
  • SOC Taj Resin Handle
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
And so it is that, inevitably, we come to Day 6, which means plate 6.

I'll admit to a little trepidation. I'm not sure why, because plate 5 turned out not to be scary at all, but here I am at the top of the mountain. Maybe it had to do with the obvious blade exposure. I had made promises, though; nothing to do but jump.

As a side note, some of you might say that six shaves on a blade is (at least) three too many. Not for me, though, since my blades average about 20 happy shaves before going in the bin. I purposely started with a fresh blade for plate 1, knowing that I would have a smoothed-out blade by the time I got to plate 6. That would let me focus on the shave, and any issues with the blade would be of my own doing, not because it was that "over-sharp first go" that I find with the Nacets.

So, with that excuse gone, I got to work. Arko gave its usual wonderful, slick lather and I proceeded through my normal shaving routine.

On the first pass, which is mostly WTG for immediate hair reduction, I definitely noticed more pronounced blade feel. If the 5 plate had been a half-step up from the 4 plate in this regard, the 6 plate was a full step over the 5 plate. However, because the head clamps the blade so firmly, there wasn't even a hint of chatter and so this didn't feel at all dangerous. The level of efficiency seemed just a smidge more than the 5 plate, which means it was two smidges more than the 4 plate. Fine so far.

As I proceeded with the first pass, I noticed some warmth on my face. That often means that the soap I'm using has some almond oil in it - I've found that "traditional" Italian soaps tend to give me a very mild reaction - but since I was using Arko, I knew it was the blade and not the soap. In any case, I reminded myself that I should get too comfortable even though the razor inspires confidence, and that a light touch is best. Thankfully, that bit of warmth didn't continue for long.

Rinsing with cool water after the first pass, as I do to prep for the second round of face-lathering, was a bit of a surprise. I use my hand to rinse my face, so I'm able to feel the stubble that's left. In this case, I would swear that the stubble was shorter than usual, indicating solid efficiency - maybe more than I'd initially thought.

My second pass is always XTG, with a little ATG buffing in the safe zones. Most of the time, I might see a fleck or two of whiskers in the lather caught up by the razor, but it's usually just "whisker dust" being removed at that point. In this case, bits of whiskers equal to my first-pass cuttings were on full display. It seems that the blade feel and efficiency gains are real - XTG resulted in a second reduction of hair nearly equal to the first, which was a surprise.

The resulting shave was very nice and very close, with just one spot of blood. It was in the same spot as yesterday, in the tender area next to my mouth, and was completely my own fault; I was chasing one of the trolls fairly aggressively. I got him, but didn't quite escape unscathed. By the time my after-care routine was complete, though, the evidence of our skirmish was gone.

Despite the early warmth from the blade feel, my application of Bay Rum aftershave wasn't a big deal. There was some warmth and a tiny bit of a sting, but I've had far more eye-opening shocks from the aftershave after using other, less efficient (but somehow more aggressive) razors.

So, it turns out that Plate 6 is not scary. Highly efficient, mildly aggressive and requiring concentration, yes, but not scary. I still have my face and did away with my whiskers in style, which was the plan all along. Oh, and SWMBO was very impressed with the result!

SOTD_08222020_2.jpg

I'll post my final-not-final thoughts sometime soon. Thanks for following along so far!

• Rockwell 6S (6)
  • Nacet (6)
  • SOC Taj Resin Handle
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB

I'll admit to a little trepidation. I'm not sure why, because plate 5 turned out not to be scary at all, but here I am at the top of the mountain. Maybe it had to do with the obvious blade exposure. I had made promises, though; nothing to do but jump.

As a side note, some of you might say that six shaves on a blade is (at least) three too many. Not for me, though, since my blades average about 20 happy shaves before going in the bin. I purposely started with a fresh blade for plate 1, knowing that I would have a smoothed-out blade by the time I got to plate 6. That would let me focus on the shave, and any issues with the blade would be of my own doing, not because it was that "over-sharp first go" that I find with the Nacets.

So, with that excuse gone, I got to work. Arko gave its usual wonderful, slick lather and I proceeded through my normal shaving routine.

On the first pass, which is mostly WTG for immediate hair reduction, I definitely noticed more pronounced blade feel. If the 5 plate had been a half-step up from the 4 plate in this regard, the 6 plate was a full step over the 5 plate. However, because the head clamps the blade so firmly, there wasn't even a hint of chatter and so this didn't feel at all dangerous. The level of efficiency seemed just a smidge more than the 5 plate, which means it was two smidges more than the 4 plate. Fine so far.

As I proceeded with the first pass, I noticed some warmth on my face. That often means that the soap I'm using has some almond oil in it - I've found that "traditional" Italian soaps tend to give me a very mild reaction - but since I was using Arko, I knew it was the blade and not the soap. In any case, I reminded myself that I should get too comfortable even though the razor inspires confidence, and that a light touch is best. Thankfully, that bit of warmth didn't continue for long.

Rinsing with cool water after the first pass, as I do to prep for the second round of face-lathering, was a bit of a surprise. I use my hand to rinse my face, so I'm able to feel the stubble that's left. In this case, I would swear that the stubble was shorter than usual, indicating solid efficiency - maybe more than I'd initially thought.

My second pass is always XTG, with a little ATG buffing in the safe zones. Most of the time, I might see a fleck or two of whiskers in the lather caught up by the razor, but it's usually just "whisker dust" being removed at that point. In this case, bits of whiskers equal to my first-pass cuttings were on full display. It seems that the blade feel and efficiency gains are real - XTG resulted in a second reduction of hair nearly equal to the first, which was a surprise.

The resulting shave was very nice and very close, with just one spot of blood. It was in the same spot as yesterday, in the tender area next to my mouth, and was completely my own fault; I was chasing one of the trolls fairly aggressively. I got him, but didn't quite escape unscathed. By the time my after-care routine was complete, though, the evidence of our skirmish was gone.

Despite the early warmth from the blade feel, my application of Bay Rum aftershave wasn't a big deal. There was some warmth and a tiny bit of a sting, but I've had far more eye-opening shocks from the aftershave after using other, less efficient (but somehow more aggressive) razors.

So, it turns out that Plate 6 is not scary. Highly efficient, mildly aggressive and requiring concentration, yes, but not scary. I still have my face and did away with my whiskers in style, which was the plan all along. Oh, and SWMBO was very impressed with the result!

View attachment 1143742

I'll post my final-not-final thoughts sometime soon. Thanks for following along so far!
Excellent report. And you're face lathering right?

• Rockwell 6S (6)
  • Nacet (6)
  • SOC Taj Resin Handle
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB

View attachment 1143742

You have encouraged me to try the 5 & 6 plate. But I’m going to wait until I have more BIC blades.

Top Bottom