What's new

Why synthetic?

I’ve basically been a badger brush user since I started wet shaving. I’ve gained a recent appreciation for boar, but I wanted to hear from the community. Other than price, what are the advantages to a good synthetic brush over a badger brush?

While I am mostly asking about performance characteristics, I want to be clear that I don’t think we need to exclude the treatment of badgers in China from this discussion.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have two Simpson synthetics, a Chubby 2 and a Colonel, in my rotation simply to add variety. They dry more quickly than my badger brushes but I cannot see any other real advantage apart from being quite a bit less expensive.

Since getting my Chubby 2 Synthetic and Simpson Trafalgar brushes, they have become my preferred brushes to use. I simply like how they perform and the other benefits associates with synthetics is icing on the cake. I still like badger brushes, but at least for the time being, I'm loving my synthetics and reach for them most often.

Synthetic benefits:
1) No soaking
2) More hygienic
3) Quicker drying
4) Less likely to shed
5) Lower cost
6) No downside in performance (IMO)
7) No animals harmed

Since getting my Chubby 2 Synthetic and Simpson Trafalgar brushes, they have become my preferred brushes to use. I simply like how they perform and the other benefits associates with synthetics is icing on the cake. I still like badger brushes, but at least for the time being, I'm loving my synthetics and reach for them most often.

Synthetic benefits:
1) No soaking
2) More hygienic
3) Quicker drying
4) Less likely to shed
5) Lower cost
7) No animals harmed
Couldn't agree more. There is much less fuss involved in a synthetic.

Synthetic benefits:
1) No soaking
2) More hygienic
3) Quicker drying
4) Less likely to shed
5) Lower cost
7) No animals harmed
Pretty much this. I would even say they perform better than badgers. They require less soap, create more lather and quicker, and don't hog lather like many dense/low lofted badgers do. They feel different than badgers, that could be a pro or con depending on who you ask. I prefer the way synthetics feel. I wouldn't be surprised if they outlast animal hair brushes.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I only used boar brushes before switching to synthetic brushes. I guess the main reason is because I ruined every natural hair brush I owned, but the synthetic brushes seem impervious to even me.😁
However, I do have one boar brush left that has lasted through my slaughter of his comrades, and that's my Omega 48 that I only use occasionally. I would buy a badger, but afraid I would just ruin it. I have also enjoyed how much easier it is to lather with synthetic brushes, and the softness compared to boar brushes.

These are all compelling responses. I just wanted to get a feel for it. I do have to say, though, that I find the concern over caring for badger brushes hilarious. I never gave mine special treatment and life went on just fine!

Why synthetics ? Because as part of my incredible enjoyment of
our traditional shaving hobby, I appreciate the wonderful variety
offered by badgers, boars, horsehairs, and synthetics.
All four types of brushes have their unique style, qualities, and
characteristics which make our hobby so much fun !

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Drying faster, no ‘scritch,’ no shedding, and quicker lather building are why my synthetic is my daily scrubby and my pure badger was released to the wild. Apples to oranges though as the synth is 30mm and the badger was an 18-20mm knot.

I've found synthetics make the quickest lather and use less product compared to any boar or badger I've tried. I also love that there's no need to soak a synthetic, just flood it, and go. And softness, I have yet to see anything else come near a synthetic in terms of softness.

Synthetic lathers up the easiest and doesn't eat up any lather. Generally, they're soft and feel nice on the face.

I will say some boars/badgers feel better on the face than synthetics but performance-wise, you can't beat a synthetic. That said, I use all three because each type feels unique. But if I'm looking for a no-fuss shave that I want to start without soaking the brush, synthetic is the go-to.

I've only owned my 1 synthetic brush, and I paid like 10$ for it. It's been used almost daily for a long time and it lathers everything I've thrown at it. I only lost 1 bristle. Maybe I got lucky with my first purchase, or I don't know any better. Either way, my shaves are fine.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I gave up on boars after the second one conked out on me, and I only use synthetics now.

They lather quickly, and don't hog lather. They don't need soaking, and dry quickly afterwards. They don't need breaking in, shed less, and I can use the same brush day after day without fears of degredation from it not drying out.

Personally, I see no reason NOT to use a synthetic.

I use a mix of brushes. I find synthetics to be no-bad-soap-day brushes. But on a cool morning when I rub a badger on my face that has been soaking in hot water. . . Very nice.

Synthetic benefits:
1) No soaking
2) More hygienic
3) Quicker drying
4) Less likely to shed
5) Lower cost
7) No animals harmed
+1

My personal opinion is that historical inertia is the main reason that people still use badger and boar brushes. If wet shaving started with synthetic brushes, people would ask, 'why in the world are you using badger/boar/horse hair to make lather?" There are so many examples of bad badger brushes, it's hard to claim that badger is an inherently better brush material.

I agree with many of the same points already raised: better performance (creates lather faster and with less hassle) and less maintenance (and looks like new even after years of use). Another point is that a recent synthetic (ignoring synthetic brushes from 10+ years ago), it's a lot easier to get a good brush. I think some people who are saying that badger brushes are inherently better are comparing synthetic brushes against $400 badger brushes after they spent an enormous amount of time buying and selling brushes to finally find the best one. I've spent 10 years in this hobby and I still haven't found a badger brush that I love as much as my synthetics. I've bought 10 bad badger brushes for every bad synthetic.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a few syns, but only one gets used regularly, or better said did get use when I was traveling a lot before mid March. Personally, I do not care for synthetics, but see the big benefit for fast drying, so this is the reason I use one for travel. At home, I use nearly exclusively badgers.

First, we call this ‘Badger & Blade’ because traditionally badger was the elegant choice.

For me, that is still the case. However, I apprecitate the appeal of synthetics as travel brushes and because they provide a cost-effective alternative to animal hair. Great to have choices!! :a29:

Top Bottom