What's new

Hostile situation.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Also IIRC you may defend your property, I think over $500.

Getting clear of the legal side safely, I'm not sure this gives you a pass in civil court, which I personally thing is a joke. If you have to shoot someone in self defense or even defense of property and it's ruled justified you shouldn't have to worry about a civil suit.
I won’t defend property. Want my car? Go ahead, it’s insured. Endanger my family- different story.

What makes that scary is you can walk down the street or into Wal-mart with a long gun strapped on your back and are within the law. I am not taking that risk.
I've been pulled over for having rifles in the gun rack going to and. From the range. It's getting crazy out there.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Don't come to Canada. Driving down the road (going ANYWHERE) with a rifle in the rack is likely to cause serious mental distress to anyone seeing same, and elicit a full on SWAT response from local law enforcement up to, and possibly including, a helicopter.

I've found a good resource in the "USCCA" They've got a great database resource for State by State laws, knowledge of the experience of being in a defensive position, equipment and it's use, and how to prepare oneself for the possibility. They also go one step further and offer a resource to deal with the aftermath if one finds they have had to protect themselves, family, or offer a defense of others.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Yup, it's a different culture there. I worked for an attorney that was born, raised, and educated in Toronto. She moved here and after she saw what goes on she acclimated to Texas just fine. I taught her how to shoot.

Sadly, I haven't seen a gun rack in the back window of a pickup truck in decades.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Yup, it's a different culture there. I worked for an attorney that was born, raised, and educated in Toronto. She moved here and after she saw what goes on she acclimated to Texas just fine. I taught her how to shoot.

Sadly, I haven't seen a gun rack in the back window of a pickup truck in decades.

I work for a Canadian owned company. Some of our policies are much stricter than US policies. They have a company ban on firearms on the premises. The rule had to be modified in Texas where the law states an employer can not deny you from having a firearm locked up in your vehicle on their property. (Except for places firearms are prohibited.)

images.jpeg

I think "different culture" may be an accurate description......

After being pulled over mine stores more fishing rods than rifles lately.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have been driving for 40 years and have never been stopped for the rifles on the rack in my truck. Hmmm!!!

I have been driving for 40 years and have never been stopped for the rifles on the rack in my truck. Hmmm!!!
My last truck had a rack, usually with a rifle installed. Got pulled over, once, passing thru a small town - cop wanted to know if my rifle was loaded, and had more than 5 in the magazine. I told him that due to the corrosive nature of black powder, I don't load my flintlock until ready to fire.
Spent the next 20 minutes showing him RB's and gear, then explaining why .54 cal isn't "too big", and that there wasn't any magazine.

A buddy had a rear window screen that looked like a gun rack with an AK and an AR on it. He got pulled over often - no rack, just the graphics.

I was a cop back in the 80's-90's and pretty much used common sense in any interaction that i may have.
If I saw a rifle in a rack I wouldn't give it a second thought, if it's legal why would I want to harass someone.
Lot's of cops these days seem to freak out if they see a gun, I don't understand their mindset. It's like giving tickets
for slow rolling a stop sign or speeding 10-15 over the limit. You aren't a hall monitor, use common sense and know the law. I realize that there are a lot of variables to consider. I've also noticed how police actually police in relation to
the community they are in. Some of these officers need to work in a high crime area for a little while and they would have a different perspective

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Sounds like he is trying to say there there is a lawyer and 12 jurors attached to every bullet and you may spend an enormous amount of angst and money even if you are cleared in the end

Maybe, but he quoted the forum guidelines back to me.

Does anyone remember the guy that witnessed his neighbors house being broken into. He called the police as the burglars were leaving the house and the dispatcher told him to leave his gun in his house as the police were on the way. He shot one or two of the bad guy's, might have actually killed one. Anyway it was in Texas and there was quite the debate on whether it was a legal shooting. I don't believe that charges were brought forth by the county DA.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Does anyone remember the guy that witnessed his neighbors house being broken into. He called the police as the burglars were leaving the house and the dispatcher told him to leave his gun in his house as the police were on the way. He shot one or two of the bad guy's, might have actually killed one. Anyway it was in Texas and there was quite the debate on whether it was a legal shooting. I don't believe that charges were brought forth by the county DA.

Charges were brought forth and he was prosecuted by a trial of his peers. However, his peers found him Not guilty.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was a cop back in the 80's-90's and pretty much used common sense in any interaction that i may have.
If I saw a rifle in a rack I wouldn't give it a second thought, if it's legal why would I want to harass someone.
Lot's of cops these days seem to freak out if they see a gun, I don't understand their mindset.
It's like giving tickets
for slow rolling a stop sign or speeding 10-15 over the limit. You aren't a hall monitor, use common sense and know the law. I realize that there are a lot of variables to consider. I've also noticed how police actually police in relation to
the community they are in. Some of these officers need to work in a high crime area for a little while and they would have a different perspective

I have to admit. This post has me completely perplexed.

Top Bottom