What's new

Less Gear

One razor - Merkur 23C
Brush - I think I may have three, but I only use one. The other two came with Art of Shaving sets I received as gifts.
Soaps - When I get low, I will order 2 - 4 different soaps. I use them one at a time until gone and move on to the next. (however, I often will just lather my face with a bar of soap in the shower and get it done)
Balm - looking for a replacement to my AOS Lemon Balm which they discontinued.

Who here favors lower priced shave gear and keeps their acquisitions minimal? I have a lifetime supply of blades now and a modest set of razors( most bought years ago from antique stores) but am not a collector. And I use only a small rotation of soaps and creams. And If I’d known how well Astra SP blades shave, that along with their super low price would have caused me to use only them. Yeah I plan on using up a lot of stuff before buying again. Who else here shaves cheaply or is thinking about downsizing? Thanks in advance!
I must respectfully disagree. My new hobby is collecting and using artisan shaving soaps and lotions; using a different one daily. Compared to other hobbies, it is quite inexpensive. I used to hate shaving, but now I look forward to it. It gives me a positive outlook to start every day. Currently, I am into artisan shaving soaps and lotions from Spain. A friend is going to bring me an artisan shaving soap from Greece.

Any of you guys who are into using less and haven't looked at the Minimalists group in Clubs & Brotherhoods should consider it.

Me, I am in a struggle right now to get it back to less gear. I don't like clutter but have gone through a year where I accrued a lot of stuff. My goals are to have 6 or fewer brushes, allowing me to use each for a couple of months of the year, and to whittle my razors down to 2 (I was at 1 for a time, and maybe I can get there again). Soaps I will keep a small rotation because variety of scent is nice, but really, Palmolive sticks are all I need, and I have enough to last a lifetime. I am a one aftershave guy already.

Any of you guys who are into using less and haven't looked at the Minimalists group in Clubs & Brotherhoods should consider it.

I tried but "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

I have:
2 razors - King C. Gillette and Wilkinson classic (for travels only)
3 Soaps - Proraso Green, Lea classic and Noxzema. I'll replace them with others when they run out.
1 AS balm - Nivea sensitive
1 AS splash - Wilkinson sport
2 Brush - Proraso 48 and mini Omega for travels
1 Copper bowl
25 mixed blades.

I've started traditional wet shaving almost four months ago. In that time I've acquired three inexpensive razors, only one of which I use regularly. I have three brushes that I use in rotation. I've got six pucks of soap, a couple of creams and a large assortment of artisan samples. I've got around one hundred assorted blades.

It recently dawned on me how slowly I use this stuff. I could easily go for a year without buying anything and be pretty happy. In fact I think that is what I'm going to do.

I thoroughly enjoy shaving now but I just don't like the idea of acquiring large amounts of stuff.

I will see where I stand in a year.

I tried but "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

I have:
2 razors - King C. Gillette and Wilkinson classic (for travels only)
3 Soaps - Proraso Green, Lea classic and Noxzema. I'll replace them with others when they run out.
1 AS balm - Nivea sensitive
1 AS splash - Wilkinson sport
2 Brush - Proraso 48 and mini Omega for travels
1 Copper bowl
25 mixed blades.
Nice minimal setup.

I think you have to have 50 posts for the Clubs & Brotherhoods forum.

I will say the Proraso is a great choice as one's main brush. I waffle on whether to just go down to 1-2 brushes or keep a handful. The great thing when you have minimal stuff is not only the fact that you don't have to make choices, but also that you know your gear inside and out, every little idiosyncrasy.

This resonates with me! I am really trying to cut down. Plus I used to have far too much stuff and I never used half of it. A few creams separated and it was a waste. I now have:

2 DE razors (EJ89DE and a vintage English Tech)
A Broman razor
100 or so Astra SP blades
Approx 25 various half DE blades (trying to figure out my favourite then will buy 100)
A single just-opened puck of MWF
Two tubes of Erasmic cream
A Yaqi Sagrada Familia Synth brush and an old Omega boar brush
A couple of Gillette Guard handles and 36 cartridges
A bottle of witch hazel
Nivea Moisturiser

These are all things I actually use and I now have a policy of only buying new stuff when running low.

Nice minimal setup.

I think you have to have 50 posts for the Clubs & Brotherhoods forum.

I will say the Proraso is a great choice as one's main brush. I waffle on whether to just go down to 1-2 brushes or keep a handful. The great thing when you have minimal stuff is not only the fact that you don't have to make choices, but also that you know your gear inside and out, every little idiosyncrasy.

Yes, it seems a good brush, but I'm thinking of buying another one because I shave every day and in winter the brush need time to dry.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Who here favors lower priced shave gear and keeps their acquisitions minimal? I have a lifetime supply of blades now and a modest set of razors( most bought years ago from antique stores) but am not a collector. And I use only a small rotation of soaps and creams. And If I’d known how well Astra SP blades shave, that along with their super low price would have caused me to use only them. Yeah I plan on using up a lot of stuff before buying again. Who else here shaves cheaply or is thinking about downsizing? Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_2020-08-14 Working Titles One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.png

I've only been using a single brush for the last almost two years now and may be down to a single razor, if the Fatip Slant I used for the first time yesterday keeps giving me the same shaves.

Although, I do have 14 soaps on my shelf now. I'm done with new soaps for quite some time though.

I'm only 9 months into my DE shave hobby/journey so I still enjoy experimenting and minimalism isn't a priority.

Covid is saving me lots of money on movie tix and gas and dining out (casual prices). I have 5 razors at a cost of about $100, more than a lifetime's supply of soaps/creams (9) and a handful of brushes which is more than I need.

The hobby is a good way for me to enjoy variety ($3 Afta and $20 Dr Jon's aftershave) without breaking the bank. My current car was bought in 2016 @ 5 years old/used, and I drove my last new car for 17 years. That's where I put my minimalism.

I have been downsizing slowly over the course of this year as part of my '2020, spend no money' challenge. Dont get me wrong, I still have way too many razors. But I have sold twice as many as I have bought, so I am making progress.
I am also using up my soap stash by 3017ing each soap in succession. I plan to buy more soap only when I get down to three soaps total.

I may downsize eventually, but I’m currently considering my purchases in two camps:

To use, or to collect.

I’m OK with having razors that I’ve not used yet, or interesting ones that I can’t use.

I'm working on downsizing now...mostly soaps but also razors to a smaller extent. I'll probably never get below 10 soaps and aftershaves at any given time but I would like to get down to just a couple razors eventually.

By the way, what does LOTH stand for?

I’ve been wet shaving for just over a year. I’m definitely a user. I’ve got more than I need. So heres what I’ve got.
Rockwell 6c : Lord L6 (Travel).
Cella (brick) , MITA , tube of Proraso (Travel).
omega 49(head) / 80266(face)
WCS too tone 26mm /. Stirling syn.
4 A/S and nivea balm.
Poly soup bowl
Less than 300 blades.
When I buy something I always think of my Grandad in the 60’s with his straight, cup and brush, and a powder (I think).

Top Bottom