What's new

Vintage Avon find

I've always found the Tribute I have to be very similar to vintage Faberge Woodhue (which is one of my favorite scents of yesteryear). There's a sweetness that both share.

Just used my Tribute this morning, picked up in the wild about a month ago for $3.
Haul 20 7 3.jpg

Another collection score for me on the second hand sales sites. Found in a sleepy town I finally got a chance to buy and try some Everest! Bought in two lots but at $3 a bottle ...

The first has it in the Polar bear decanter near full with a half full German Shepherd of Oland. The cannon is Island lime...I have Sooo much Island Lime now..literally litres of it.

Not many scents to go.. list getting smaller.

Screenshot_2020-08-23-08-29-14-1.png
Screenshot_2020-08-23-08-30-10-1.png

The second Everest I presume in the pistol and another decanter of Tai Winds in the Steam engine missing it's chimney.

Another collection score for me on the second hand sales sites. Found in a sleepy town I finally got a chance to buy and try some Everest! Bought in two lots but at $3 a bottle ...

The first has it in the Polar bear decanter near full with a half full German Shepherd of Oland. The cannon is Island lime...I have Sooo much Island Lime now..literally litres of it.

Not many scents to go.. list getting smaller.

View attachment 1143775View attachment 1143776

The second Everest I presume in the pistol and another decanter of Tai Winds in the Steam engine missing it's chimney.

Finally got these in the mail. The gun certainly isn't Everest... based on the scent I'd say Blend 7. My first bottle of it. First up I get Anise. Certainly came in Blend 7 and can pick all the other scents easily now.

So my tally of scents is now at
Wild country
Tai Winds
Windjammer
Oland
Deep woods
Leather
Spicy
Island lime
New World
Tribute
Excalibur
Blend 7
Everest
Clint
Tai Winds (cologne)
Windjammer (Cologne)

AND Mesmerize for men incoming.

Here's some of it with others scattered on bedside table etc.

IMG_20200902_201445.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
So my tally of scents is now at
Wild country
Tai Winds
Windjammer
Oland
Deep woods
Leather
Spicy
Island lime
New World
Tribute
Excalibur
Blend 7
Everest
Clint
Tai Winds (cologne)
Windjammer (Cologne)

AND Mesmerize for men incoming.

Here's some of it with others scattered on bedside table etc.

View attachment 1149331

You've got me beat by two.

What's New World like? (Mesmerize was the other)

AA

I have the modern Mesmerize EdT. It's really nice - sweet oriental fougere, much better and classier than the price would indicate. Zesty Mandarin/Apple opening that is quite unusual and the sweet sandalwood drydown. I would assume that vintage Mesmerize is similar to this.

I bought 120ish bottles a few months back and am about to donate all the empties to a thrift store (can't even get shipping costs for flat rate boxes of them on eBay. If anyone wants any EMPTY BOTTLES, let me know which ones you need via pm and If I've got them I'll pack them up and ship them to you for the cost of the necessary flat rate box plus paypal fees. Most are in the box, but boxes mostly have penciled on prices and other damage.

Right now I've got maybe 30ish empties. Coin, Washington head, VW van (missing a rear window sticker), Rolls royce, etc. Too many to list... so let me know which ones I'm to look for and I'll tell you what of your list I have. I'll probably donate the whole box in a week or two so this is a limited time offer that will expire around 9/20/2020. Please don't message me about bottles after that.

After reading some of the hype about the vintage Avon scents I did a little searching and found a collection of aftershave chess pieces in various scents about an hour from me. According to the add there were 32 full bottles total but after looking at the pictures I quickly realized it wasn't a complete set. According to the boxes there were a couple duplicates and two missing pieces to make a full set. I decided to go grab them last night. At $25 for everything I figured I couldn't go wrong. After getting them home and going through the boxes there were a couple of empties, about 4 partial bottles, and a few bottles that were not in the proper boxes. After sorting everything I ended up with the following...

Wild Country - 11
Spicy - 13
Blend #7 - 2
Oland - 1
Deep Woods - 1/3

Of the five scents, just sniffing the bottles, I would have to say that Wild country is probably my least favorite. Initially is seems like it may be a little too powdery for my liking. It may be different once it is on my skin. I will probably try it within the next week or so. I used some of the Blend #7 this morning and the longer it is on me the more I like it.

Final cost was about 93 cents a bottle. Compared to the $28 I paid for my last bottle of Crown Shaving, I'm ok if the Wild Country ends up being a dud for me.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
After reading some of the hype about the vintage Avon scents I did a little searching and found a collection of aftershave chess pieces in various scents about an hour from me. According to the add there were 32 full bottles total but after looking at the pictures I quickly realized it wasn't a complete set. According to the boxes there were a couple duplicates and two missing pieces to make a full set. I decided to go grab them last night. At $25 for everything I figured I couldn't go wrong. After getting them home and going through the boxes there were a couple of empties, about 4 partial bottles, and a few bottles that were not in the proper boxes. After sorting everything I ended up with the following...

Wild Country - 11
Spicy - 13
Blend #7 - 2
Oland - 1
Deep Woods - 1/3

Of the five scents, just sniffing the bottles, I would have to say that Wild country is probably my least favorite. Initially is seems like it may be a little too powdery for my liking. It may be different once it is on my skin. I will probably try it within the next week or so. I used some of the Blend #7 this morning and the longer it is on me the more I like it.

Final cost was about 93 cents a bottle. Compared to the $28 I paid for my last bottle of Crown Shaving, I'm ok if the Wild Country ends up being a dud for me.
Great score! How about some pictures? I love Avon but have so much aftershave/edt/edc that to keep my collection under control I try to limit myself to Avon Cologne only, and in the standard bottles, not the novelty bottles. Wild Country and Spicy are awesome, Oland I am not so keen on and Deep Woods I have yet to try. Blend 7 I have never seen in the UK, it has aniseed top notes so I wonder if it is anything like Brut which I love.

Great score! How about some pictures? I love Avon but have so much aftershave/edt/edc that to keep my collection under control I try to limit myself to Avon Cologne only, and in the standard bottles, not the novelty bottles. Wild Country and Spicy are awesome, Oland I am not so keen on and Deep Woods I have yet to try. Blend 7 I have never seen in the UK, it has aniseed top notes so I wonder if it is anything like Brut which I love.
IMG_20201016_054215~2.jpg
I meant to post this pick but forgot. I am hopping to get all the pieces out of the boxes and inventory what is missing piece wise and lay them all out on a big cloth chess board we have tonight. I'll follow up with that pic later. There are three bottles missing from the pic because I already whisked them away to the bathroom.

The Crown Shaving AS that I have been using has an anise note to it which is why I went with the Blend #7 first. So far I am liking it. I haven't smelled Brut in so long I am not sure I could give it a fair comparison.

I was going to wait but will probably give the Wild country a go tomorrow. I really want to like it since I have so much of it but time will tell.

View attachment 1169356
I meant to post this pick but forgot. I am hopping to get all the pieces out of the boxes and inventory what is missing piece wise and lay them all out on a big cloth chess board we have tonight. I'll follow up with that pic later. There are three bottles missing from the pic because I already whisked them away to the bathroom.

The Crown Shaving AS that I have been using has an anise note to it which is why I went with the Blend #7 first. So far I am liking it. I haven't smelled Brut in so long I am not sure I could give it a fair comparison.

I was going to wait but will probably give the Wild country a go tomorrow. I really want to like it since I have so much of it but time will tell.
Today was the first day out antiquing with my wife in MONTHS! ...and I saw a set similar to this at our revamped Bush Hill Antiques in Archdale, NC. It was mostly pawns, with a few other pieces, but I thought how neat it would be to have a complete chess set of these pieces. Congrats!

Found a Ten Point Buck of Avon Leather on Ebay and it showed up yesterday. I am really liking this scent. I'm not crazy about pouring out of the bottle though. It is just an awkward shape to hold on to. I'll probably look for a different bottle to put it in for easier use then keep my eyes open for more.

1603289948991.png

Top Bottom