What's new

What’s up with Charcoal Goods?

I admit I am confused. I have read on this forum the accolades of Charcoal Goods razors. I have also read how they were moving and the possibility they may not reopen. Now I see they are offering the “everyday” razor. I also see where they have level 2 razor on their web site for sale. So… did they actually move? Is the “everyday” razor just a re-branded level 1? Is the level 2 they now have on the web site same razor they were sold out of just this spring when they were moving? Do they have the same ownership?

If I recall rightly what I have read, the level 2 razors are discontinued and he is selling off his last stocks of tthe stainless steel ones and from.here on out only the everyday will be sold. Likewise with the different brass and copper handles - he is selling off his stocks of those also and I dont know if he will be making new ones in the future

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My understanding is that the Everyday razor is a redesign of the Level 1 to add more smoothness and better efficiency. The base plates and top caps dont look even remotely the same. So the Everyday is definitely a different razor than the Level 1. I will let you know when mine arrives in a few days.

CG is a small shop artisan business. I am not sure that they even have any, or many, employees. So the business moves when the owner moves. Its life. Brian makes razors in small batches, and when they are posted, they usually sell out quickly. If you have ever owned one, you would understand why they are so highly praised. They are magnificent to shave with, as well as look at. Functional art.

There is talk about him potentially outsourcing his razor machining to another machine shop. And there are thoughts on making only one handle and one razor head. If any of that happens, two things will occur. The prices of pre-owned CG razors will skyrocket. And the new ones will be produced in larger batches, which will make them more available. And less expensive. However, he has also stated on his blog that he may open up his own machine shop again when he does move. So it is unclear what the future holds for CG. All I know is that I am buying a few CG razors while I still have the chance.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Likewise with the different brass and copper handles - he is selling off his stocks of those also and I dont know if he will be making new ones in the future

I have also read that once this batch of fancy handles is sold, there will be no more. Shame really. But he has to run a business. That is why when he had that handle sale a couple of months back, I loaded up.

On the web site, they have SS lvl 2 that are available for immediately shipment. It also states that “The price of the Level 2 razor will be increased in Fall 2020, buy now and save!

Apparently he is, or will be, still producing them. I took his advice and purchase one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There is another CG thread where someone posted a correspondence they received from Brian. Sorry I'm not in front of a computer at the moment to post a link. That post provides a lot of insight on the status of things.

It's is with great regret to read that Brian has retired, apparently at the end of 2022! Whatever remaining inventory he has in his shop is the last ever stock of his great unique razors. I've also noticed he has deleted his Instagram account.
Sad times if you're a admirer of his razors, I'm fortunate to own a few pieces of his amazing art work. I wish him well for the future, and really hope he will be back at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom