What's new

Fake weather reports

Perfect example, local weather said " wow hot tonight but no cloud or thunder storms to be seen". So here I am in the dark watching the rain and listening to the thunder not more than 45min later.

I know its not an exact science and us Brits have little else to talk about, but it does seem to be less accurate these days then in the 60's and 70's. P.S, some great flashes of lighting ⚡💥⚡

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Perfect example, local weather said " wow hot tonight but no cloud or thunder storms to be seen". So here I am in the dark watching the rain and listening to the thunder not more than 45min later.

I know its not an exact science and us Brits have little else to talk about, but it does seem to be less accurate these days then in the 60's and 70's. P.S, some great flashes of lighting ⚡💥⚡
I used to be a weather spotter (yeah, I'm a NERD! I even paid cash money for a T shirt, lol) as part of service as a Ham radio operator.

Nerd Alert!!! : Did you know flash floods are the most deadly weather events?

Man, I'm going on Jeopardy! I can't remember my wife's name but I got crap rollin' around in my head I can't flush.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wait ...your local airport is not surrounded by asphalt and concrete? Must be a landing strip of grass.

Canada is civilized. Its graded and they even lay calcium to keep the dust down!

Screenshot_2020-08-12 canadian twin otter bush runway - Google Search.png

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Some random thoughts

Official temps are in the shade and I believe a certain distance off the ground.

Airports are great places to measure weather because not many trees to block wind

"Feels like" is a guesstimate of the temp with the dew point. 90 degrees in humid *** MN feels way different than 90 degrees in dry New Mexico. One is fairly comfortable and one makes you feel like you are in a sauna. "Feels like" is not perfect but it is what it is.

Wind chill is real for humans. It won't make your car any harder to start though, but it will make the engine cool down sooner when it's turned off, it won't make it any colder than it would get with zero wind.

Temps can vary a few degrees within small geographical distances if there are hills, trees, valleys and what not. If you are all at Burning man, then it should be pretty uniform from one area to the next.

I think you all have been trapped in doors too long.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some random thoughts

Official temps are in the shade and I believe a certain distance off the ground.

Airports are great places to measure weather because not many trees to block wind

"Feels like" is a guesstimate of the temp with the dew point. 90 degrees in humid *** MN feels way different than 90 degrees in dry New Mexico. One is fairly comfortable and one makes you feel like you are in a sauna. "Feels like" is not perfect but it is what it is.

Wind chill is real for humans. It won't make your car any harder to start though, but it will make the engine cool down sooner when it's turned off, it won't make it any colder than it would get with zero wind.

Temps can vary a few degrees within small geographical distances if there are hills, trees, valleys and what not. If you are all at Burning man, then it should be pretty uniform from one area to the next.

And y'all think I'M a nerd!

I didn't say nuttin' bout no wind chill!

But you Kanadia people use Celsius! Civilized peeple use Fahrenheit!

Whoa there pilgrim. What about us Brits who use both. I was born and taught old school as well as metric. Makes me chuckle as the younger generation have no idea how to convert or even guess at to what 80mph or 90f is in metric.

Some random thoughts

No. It's much easier to believe it's a global conspiracy on the part of local news meteorologists to deceive the public.

Just to add to the confusion the "feels like temp" is based on science as well using wet bulb temps. When I was on the Tac-Team we got wet-bulb temps from the national weather service in order to figure work/rest cycles for the operators on call-outs in hot weather.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Just to add to the confusion the "feels like temp" is based on science as well using wet bulb temps. When I was on the Tac-Team we got wet-bulb temps from the national weather service in order to figure work/rest cycles for the operators on call-outs in hot weather.
Yes, dewpoint is huge part of "feels like". Most only understand relative humidity and don't understand dewpoint. There is less water in 80% relative humidity 45 degree air than 60% relative humidity 90 degree air.

Dewpoint and temp tell me all I need to know. If you know your area, you can know the dewpoint in the summer just buy looking at what the predicted overnight lows are. If the lows in my area don't drop below 68 at night, it's humid air over top of us. If the lows drop down to low 60's or high 50's it's dry air over top of us. If the overnight low is 72, spend the day by the AC unless a new air mass is coming through via a cold front.

My wife uses her iPhone or car gauge for actual temps. I normally just check the local weather monitors on Weather Underground, but even they sometimes vary by 10 degrees. Anything over 80 is the start of "too hot for us", so any temp difference between 90 and 100 doesn't matter. When neighbors ask me why our AC unit runs 24 hours a day all summer, I tell them it's because my wife has the thermostat set to 71 or 72. It may be 100 outside, but I sometimes still need a flannel shirt while watching TV or on the computer in the basement. 71 for sleeping in summer, and 63 in winter, is perfect.

I'm not too concerned with temps. It's too hot and humid in summer and too cold in dead of winter. I'm more concerned with rainfall, either the lack thereof or the potential for local flooding which may affect my daughter and husband. Again I look to local Weather Underground rainfall forecasts, and nearby NWS flood gauges. I've had a rain gauge in my yard for years to record how much we actually get, but NWS flood gauges are a good indicator of what's coming.

Top Bottom