What's new

Less Gear

Who here favors lower priced shave gear and keeps their acquisitions minimal? I have a lifetime supply of blades now and a modest set of razors( most bought years ago from antique stores) but am not a collector. And I use only a small rotation of soaps and creams. And If I’d known how well Astra SP blades shave, that along with their super low price would have caused me to use only them. Yeah I plan on using up a lot of stuff before buying again. Who else here shaves cheaply or is thinking about downsizing? Thanks in advance!

I shave cheaply enough for me. 2 razors, 2 brushes, one bowl, a couple soaps, 2 creams, and right now about about 230 blades. I'm not replacing anything until I'm down to 2 tucks or a quarter of my soap/ cream left. And then I'm replacing what I'm running out of.

Some of my gear is pretty expensive but I keep the quantity of gear to a small number. I can’t stand clutter and only like to have things in the house that I actually use. I’m more of a connoisseur than a hoarder. The good stuff lasts a long time so it does work out to be much more expensive.

I do. I just don't see the point in spending a ton of money on razors or brushes when less expensive options do the job perfectly well. It's also a lot less painful to replace an $8 razor if something untoward happens to it than a $100 razor.

As far as consumable supplies go, I try to replace what I use by buying locally whenever possible, which means buying whatever creams or soaps or blades the store happens to have. I've discovered some very pleasant surprises that way (Gillette Pure cream, for one example) and I like to think that it helps retailers keep shaving supplies on the shelves. It would be a sad day if I couldn't walk in to CVs, Meijer, Rite Aid, Walgreens, or whatever and not be able to buy anything other than cartridge offerings (even though I admittedly shave more than half the time with cartridges).

I'll buy some higher-end soaps every once in a while, or my wife will get some for me as a gift, but I almost always return to the drug store staples. They're inexpensive and they work. What more do you need?

One razor, one blade (34C and Astra SP). My problem is stockpiling the world's soaps and creams. I think my only luxury indulgence was original MdC, otherwise there are some fantastic low and medium priced software out there.

Who here favors lower priced shave gear and keeps their acquisitions minimal? I have a lifetime supply of blades now and a modest set of razors( most bought years ago from antique stores) but am not a collector. And I use only a small rotation of soaps and creams. And If I’d known how well Astra SP blades shave, that along with their super low price would have caused me to use only them. Yeah I plan on using up a lot of stuff before buying again. Who else here shaves cheaply or is thinking about downsizing? Thanks in advance!

I am down to 2 brushes ( Semogue 1305.Omega 48 pro) and 2 razors ( 2010 RR TTO heavy *** razor, Pre WWII Military Tech with the blk plastic handle. Gave everything to my sons because i'am swapping to SR and only need 2 DE razors. I have pretty much always bought brushes and only keep them about a month after they're broken in and then handed them off.

I was a one razor one brush one blade one soap kind of guy for a very long time. Then shaving became more hobby than choir. Now I like to collect and use a variety of razors and have found that no one blade brings out the best in all razors. I still only use two or three soaps.

The components of my kit are all under $20.00, except for a Zenith B25 boar brush. I have a Gem 1912, Gillette New LC, PdP, PdP No.63, L'Occitane Cade, and VDH scented luxury. I do have 11 brushes though, and will probably collect another every year or two.

I’d like to downsize to just a couple of soaps and creams. And only 2 razors. I’ll probably sell the rest..... I’m trying to be SIMPLE. Easier said than done. I have several nice adjustable razors but hardly ever use them. I’ve turned into a Tech and Edwin Jagger man. I prefer milder razors.

I keep reading the words but they don’t compute. Is this English?

Just kidding - to each their own. I don’t have the impulse control to have a small collection.

I do live on something of a budget though so even as my collection grows in constantly selling less used items.

There is good sense in having a practical set of gear and drawing the line. I use cheap DE blades and mid-priced soaps that works for me.
I generally collect tools, knives and machines of various types to solve different problems, one size tool doesnt fit all. This has extended into razors and brushes, bowls

I have seen the bottom of the rabbit hole getting to close for comfort and now struggling back up slowly.
Sold a couple of razors I did not use much.
Still trying to sell some other classics I rarely use.
Limit soaps etc to samples and daily high usage pre shave soap. And enough for years.
Razor blades enough for years
Happy with my brushes and bowls

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have about a dozen razors, the same number of brushes, four hard soaps and a load of vintage aftershave and cologne. Some if the items cost, for me, a sizeable sum of money. I had been accumulating any razors that took my fancy and ended up with some that I rarely if ever used so I sold them. I now have a personal rule that if I buy one then I must sell one. If I cannot pick one to sell then I cannot really want the new one. I still buy the occasional razor, try it and then make my decision, sell it or keep it and sell one of my others. It stops the hobby getting out of hand and my house turning into a museum. I only buy vintage so I get back what I paid, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less; it keeps the pastime inexpensive. I often wonder what real lasting pleasure is obtained by acquiring your 300th razor, to each his own I suppose.

I take that back. I'm not adverse to picking up a good deal on a vintage razor and shining it back up to its former glory. But then, once nice and pretty again, it'll end up on BST to live on as a perfectly functioning tool for others to enjoy more than I will. I haven't done that yet, but I'm not adverse to the idea.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Whatever works is just fine!

LOTH (a saint by any definition) considers ‘traditional’ wet shaving the least expensive of all my hobbies!

Compared to collecting vintage cars, fly fishing, boating, etc. I am SAVING $$!! :a29:

My Bride says the same thing about my "collection". ;)

Top Bottom