What's new

What soap would you buy if you didn't have so many?

For me, probably Mitchell's Wool Fat. I have an empty Old Spice mug ready, but I'm staying strong.

I also want a La Toja stick, but I'll probably get one in spite of having a full shelf of soap in the refrigerator, in addition to an overlarge active rotation. I'm a sucker for sticks.

1E385AB8-826C-47CC-9F7F-92D4F881F64A.jpeg

Lots of samples and some non-Arko sticks in the Arko box. I counted 16 soaps in the den and its periphery, plus there are 4 or 5 creams in tubes on a basement shelf somewhere. Other than TOBS Sandalwood and a few random samples, I like them all.

There's a few more on my list but for now I just need to enjoy the 10+ soap which are in my shave den
here's the ones I would like to try ⬇️

Tobs lime zest
MDC vetiver
Stirling sharp dressed man
Truefitt & Hill ultimate comfort
Soap commander Honor

If I ever whittle down the massive overstock I currently own, I will keep a small rotation of:

Tabac
Stirling Iced Pineapple
Barrister and Mann Seville
RazoRock Puros

Travel sticks:
Palmolive
La Toja

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If there is a soap I really want, I buy it. That is why I have nearly 200 soaps in my den. I do not purchase duplicates as I have yet to finish any soap with the exception of a couple I did not like and used in the shower. There are a few soaps on my wish list:

Barrister and Mann SoftHeart- I have not managed to grab one of the limited releases.
Gentlemen's Nod Sir Winston when it is released as a Bullgoose exclusive.
Grooming Department- the new Mallard formula when it is released.
Mammoth Shaving Tusk formula- currently sold out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As of today, I have two primary soaps, and several samples for a bit of variety. However, I've just (today) ordered a few different soaps and a cream, none of which get much airtime on here, to provide that variety instead of the samples. In total, those products will probably add around three years worth of shaves to what I already had.

Rather than specify brands etc, I'll tell you what I looked for in in terms of characteristics of those products.

• I wanted slickness without "protection". I'm not a fan of dense lathers. If a soap provides a protective barrier, numbing shave feel etc, it's stopping me doing my job properly.
  • I wanted products which would leave my skin happy, without the need for post shave products. Some have lanolin, others a range of beneficial oils, but none should be drying or clogging, particularly in my preference of lather consistency. I think if a soap leaves you needing to follow up with something else, it's only doing half the job it could be doing.
  • I wanted affordability. That doesn't necessarily mean cheap, but I won't take a gamble on the higher priced items, in terms of performance, or spoiling before the product is finished. It's important for me to feel like I'm getting good value, and all the samples I've tried of the higher end products don't justify their costs in my opinion/experience. My choices were between 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of Saponificio Veryspendy ;)
  • I wanted to break from the confines of highly recognisable brands, and not be blinkered by the online "product placement" of the big names. Not necessarily avoid the well known offerings, but don't restrict my choices to them, just because they're popular with others (I'm shaving my face, not theirs)
  • I wanted moderate scent levels. Strongly scented soaps don't enhance my shaves, they distract my attention away from where it should be. A similar complaint to what I have with "protective" soaps. I want my awareness of the sharp blade on my face to be unimpaired. That's highly important for me to ensure a great irritation free shave.
  • Zero menthol. That stuff doesn't agree with me. Think minor chemical burns.

My original two soaps will still be my primaries, but these few additions should (hopefully) give me the above characteristics I desire from a lather, and serve as enough diversity to keep monotony at bay, stop me wanting to buy any more until something runs out. What they actually are is largely irrelevant, as most people seem to be looking for something different to me in their lather.

I've been eyeing some soaps from Chiseled Face for a while - either "Summer Storm" or "Cedar & Spice".
I've been working through the Chisled Face sample set. Those two are very good, I'd recommend those and Ghost Town Barber. They're a very soft soap, so be ready for that. But the scents are very nice and it's a very decent product overall.

I've been working through the Chisled Face sample set. Those two are very good, I'd recommend those and Ghost Town Barber. They're a very soft soap, so be ready for that. But the scents are very nice and it's a very decent product overall.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom