What's new

Do I need a Fat Boy?

I have one, I seldom use it because there are many other vintage Gillette razors that, IMHO, shave better than the FB. Why is it so sought after? Who knows what causes envy & desire among the masses. Figure that out & you'll have a career in advertising!

No one needs one, but many want one. My advice is that if you want one to use, get one, otherwise skip it. I like my Fatboy better than the Slim and got rid of the Slim. I prefer my A4 Red Tip and my C4 Flare Tip over the Fatboy and don’t expect to acquire another TTO.

For me one of my favorite attributes are date based and using a razor made in my late wife’s birth quarter, my brother’s birth quarter and my birth quarter. All of these razors provide good shaves and allow for variety. I would not get rid of any of these 3 TTO razors but these three are enough for me.

I like the simplicity of a three piece design and expect most if not all future purchases to be three piece with the biggest variety in metal, whether it be titanium, stainless, brass or some as yet undiscovered exotic metal.

After this long winded response, my late wife said it best “If it will make you happy get it, if not don’t get it.”

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My two cents... buy one on an auction site or the BST here and see if you like it (if you are going to shave with one) then if you like spend the bigger money on a re-plated one and resell the other for what you paid.

Good advice - me I'd find the user grade FB, test it, then replate that razor rather than ponying up the premium for Razor Emporium et al. There's several things that can be wrong with vintage adjustables, I'd find the solid shaver first then get it replated if that's a priority. On the other hand, minty looking FBs sell all the time on the Bay for less than RE charges ..

You don't, "need" one but they are an iconic razor that has a loyal following. I used to have one and theyre a nice razor but IMO they don't shave any better or any worse than any other Gillette adjustable and theyre kind of overprice and overrated.

It's worth trying for sure, I tried it, and i prefer the slim, so I kept the slim and got rid of the fatboy, but I do think you need to try both.

Have a really nice one coming from @ccpastork 🥰

I won’t be satisfied until I have it. Life is short and I work hard...

7B3D1E2D-22AA-4EB4-8B8D-8DF77C4CE830.jpeg

Top Bottom