What's new

Can't shave without scarring myself

I'm honestly depressed..
I'm 22 with probably a super sensitive skin, every shave that i'm doing takes me for ever because i'm afraid to scar myself
and even then with how much i'm gentle and taking the time and not hurry, I still get scars that look like small holes in my skin.

I've tried DE and got scars + bad shaving, tried to fix form technique and the soap texture and stuff but didn't work for me.

Right now I'm shaving right after shower, using a Braun 3040s and gillete super sensitive skin guard gel.
shaving with the grain and then against the grain, using rototary shaver for stuff that my braun 3040's couldn't get even after the fourth pass.

Please, any tips for sensitive skin would help.. i'm really suffering from every shave fearing that I will get another lifetime scar on my face.

Can invest if it would help me get free scar shaves.

thank you :\

No.. is it another gimic or actually good for sensitive skin?
you can probably find commercials or info about it on youtube. I don't think it's a gimmick. I don't have sensitive skin but i have tried it while on vacation. it kinda glides over your skin without the blades actually touching you. i noticed it shaves the hairs while leaving an extremely thin layer of shaving cream still on your face because it's not totally making contact with the skin ....that explanation may seem / sound a little weird, but it does work as they intended it.

The hardcore DE/SE guys would probably say it's too mild or doesn't shave close enough, but i think it would be worth a try for someone with the problems you're having.

It's not gonna give that smooth as glass ultra BBS shave that a safety razor would,...but you should get a very nice comfortable (hopefully scar-free) shave....and it has the single trimmer blade on the back for getting hard to reach spots.

The hardcore DE/SE guys would probably say it's too mild or doesn't shave close enough, but i think it would be worth a try for someone with the problems you're having.

It's not gonna give that smooth as glass ultra BBS shave that a safety razor would,...but you should get a very nice comfortable (hopefully scar-free) shave....and it has the single trimmer blade on the back for getting hard to reach spots.

Thank you.. I will definitely give it a go because I don't have anything to lose at this point.. every shave I'm suffering..
But I thought that you guys more into electric shavers..?

Thank you.. I will definitely give it a go because I don't have anything to lose at this point.. every shave I'm suffering..
But I thought that you guys more into electric shavers..?

The SkinGuard works much better with a thinner more watery lather, so don't be afraid to add more water than usual when making and it won't leave any lather behind.

^^^

I would recommend the SkinGuard.
However, your other option for sensitive skin would be the Philips Norelco OneBlade which has also received very good reviews.

In your case the best option may be a good quality electric shaver. This will get you a socially acceptable shave quickly with little hassle and zero chance of injury.

Not as much fun as a straight razor but it will get the job done. I hear that the new ones are pretty good.

I would suggest you try a high quality shaving soap applied using a brush. You want a soap that is super slick so the blade glides over your face. You want a soap that will leave a thin layer of soap between the blade and your skin. You want a soap that contains ingredients to soothe, moisturize, and condition your skin. Check out the soap threads for suggestions or send me a PM for my recommendations.

If shaving is leaving scars, literally, you might want to visit a dermatologist. You might have a skin condition that is causing your problem.

If shaving is leaving scars, literally, you might want to visit a dermatologist. You might have a skin condition that is causing your problem.

i agree, but you have mentioned the condition of your skin. Do you have something going on outside of sensitivity?

also are you going for BBS with 4 passes or something like that? Maybe learn to love SAS or DFS with 2 passes and no extra stuff like buffing. Try riding the cap a bit more. Just thoughts.

It may sound counterintuitive but try dry shaving with your Braun or with an application of a pre Electric shave treatment like afta or lectric shave. Just because you can shave wet with your Braun doesn't mean it works best for you.

I'm an advocate of Electrics and don't even use blades anymore. Whenever I tried to use an electric with foam, gel, or lather it always stuck to my face and caused irritation. Electric shavers worked just fine for decades being used totally dry.

In your case the best option may be a good quality electric shaver. This will get you a socially acceptable shave quickly with little hassle and zero chance of injury.

Not as much fun as a straight razor but it will get the job done. I hear that the new ones are pretty good.

Which Electric Shaver..? there are many :)

I would suggest you try a high quality shaving soap applied using a brush. You want a soap that is super slick so the blade glides over your face. You want a soap that will leave a thin layer of soap between the blade and your skin. You want a soap that contains ingredients to soothe, moisturize, and condition your skin. Check out the soap threads for suggestions or send me a PM for my recommendations.

I've been there, 2 months of trying my best with soap and DE blade.. got my 2nd huge scar on my face, cried abit and returned to my electric shaver.
The electric shaver leaves me with tiny holes on my face. atleast not huge stuff like the DE blade.

I will go to my dermatologist this weekend, it getting out of hand.

i agree, but you have mentioned the condition of your skin. Do you have something going on outside of sensitivity?

also are you going for BBS with 4 passes or something like that? Maybe learn to love SAS or DFS with 2 passes and no extra stuff like buffing. Try riding the cap a bit more. Just thoughts.

I don't have anything that I'm aware of, that's the main problem.. I don't know what's wrong with me :\
I'm not trying to go for BBS, my shaver misses spots.
First run i'm going WTG and the others ATG.

It may sound counterintuitive but try dry shaving with your Braun or with an application of a pre Electric shave treatment like afta or lectric shave. Just because you can shave wet with your Braun doesn't mean it works best for you.

I'm an advocate of Electrics and don't even use blades anymore. Whenever I tried to use an electric with foam, gel, or lather it always stuck to my face and caused irritation. Electric shavers worked just fine for decades being used totally dry.

I'm honestly hopeless right now.. I will give a go to everything.

It sounds like you are getting bad shaves and scars regardless of what kind of razor you use. I'm actually surprised to hear you having problems with an electric razor. If I were you I would go see a Dermatologist to see if you suffer from any skin conditions that are contributing to your issues. Knowing the answer to that could help you fiigure out the best option for your skin. Good luck.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A guarded razor might help. I dont use them myself but I did try a Bic womans guarded razor just so I could understand how they work. One of these.

Screenshot_2020-08-11 bic soleil - Google Search.png

Its the same idea as behind the Gillette Guard. What the guard on the Bic does, is keeps the blades off the skin slightly more, which can be overcome by increasing pressure. It didnt work well for me, I need something much more efficient than they are but the design is sound.

If you need an extremely gentle on the skin razor, try one. They're cheap and disposable, just dont use your girlfriends without buying her more lol.

Some find they can't tolerate shaving with a blade. Prep can make a huge difference - with a blade, softening the skin and beard can help. Pre-shave shower, pre-shave lotion, a good razor and blade combo and good aftershave balm can make a tremendous difference. As an alternative point of view, I shave routinely with an electric and soap - all of the soaps I use for my DE shaves, and a shaving brush. The only difference in my electric shaves and my DE shaves is the razor. This actually provides the most irritation-free shaves for me with an electric - and arguably the most comfortable electrics are Braun's foils - Series 7, 8 or 9. The 7000 Series Norelcos are also noted for their comfort, and provide an equally good shave - for me. And as @slybrewguy said, using a pre-shave like Afta, Williams or Freelette alone can help with an electric shaver rather than using it totally dry. If you use an electric dry or with a pre-electric, it's generally better to skip any softening prep to allow your beard to stand up for a closer and more comfortable shave. Experimenting with prep is cheap - experimenting with shavers, not so much, although the major manufacturers usually have generous return policies, so you might give them a try. I have sensitive skin as well, and my comments are the result of several decades of trial and error. Keep at it, and hopefully you'll find that perfect match for you, but don't be afraid to experiment. Slow progress, and a gentle touch - you'll get there!

Last edited:
The electric shaver leaves me with tiny holes on my face. atleast not huge stuff like the DE blade.

how hard are you pushing the electric or de blades into your skin? While most of us probably aren’t dermatologists, perhaps share a picture of what this looks like and perhaps we can reverse image search whats going on and share what we find like we were on webmd ;) The worst we could do is sympathize as most of us would rec an appt with a real derm

Top Bottom