What's new

Whats with the Wax on Blades?

I've always wondered why there is wax residue on blades? Are they just left over from the manufacturing process or do they serve a purpose like prevent blade chatter? Should I wipe the wax off the blades to prevent it from gunking up in the razor?

I think the Petersburg Product International facility in Russia run by Gillette/P&G are the only ones using the wax spots. The wax prevents the blades from moving within the folded wrapper during shipping and storage. Although the wrapper contains a wax coating, any vibration can cause movement between the blade and the wrapper, resulting in slight deterioration of the edge. The wax prevents such movement, protecting the quality of the blade. Although many people complain about the wax, it does not seem to bother anything during use and the PPI blades have a good reputation for quality.

As long as the wax is not on the blade edge, just shave on! It’s not a problem.

Note that I have never seen wax anywhere close to the blade edge.

Wax sticks the blade to the wrapper to prevent the blade edge from abrading on the wrapper paper. Vintage razors are tough enough that there's no need to remove the wax from the blade. Wax is only a problem if you want it to be.

+2! Not a problem for me! Blade performance is what I want! :thumbup: :thumbup:

(Although some really dislike wax on their blades.)

I think the Petersburg Product International facility in Russia run by Gillette/P&G are the only ones using the wax spots. The wax prevents the blades from moving within the folded wrapper during shipping and storage. Although the wrapper contains a wax coating, any vibration can cause movement between the blade and the wrapper, resulting in slight deterioration of the edge. The wax prevents such movement, protecting the quality of the blade. Although many people complain about the wax, it does not seem to bother anything during use and the PPI blades have a good reputation for quality.
It’s not just Gillette. Feather blades have wax on them as well.
As others have said, ignore the wax , load up and get your shave on.

I recall a friend of mine went to the 1st "Karate Kid" movie when it 1st came out. He indulged bigly in some of the local p. semilacetia that grew freely in Kitimat, B.C. in the rainy fall/autummn where we grew up. He told me he was the only one laughing hysterically during that 'wax on, wax off' scene for some reason. I don't have a prob with a few wax globs if it helps preserve the edge for me on my blades, eh? It is a long way from where l live in the sticks of B.C. far from where the blades l buy are manufactured, so l am grateful for any protection offered to preserve the blades l bought so l may use 'em as intended.

Unpopular opinion here, but I personally don’t believe the wax does anything to keep the edge sharp. It probably has more to do with stabilizing the blade during the wrapping process and keeping the wrapper closed so it doesn’t foul up final packaging. There a several sharp blades that don’t use wax.

Unpopular opinion here, but I personally don’t believe the wax does anything to keep the edge sharp. It probably has more to do with stabilizing the blade during the wrapping process and keeping the wrapper closed so it doesn’t foul up final packaging. There a several sharp blades that don’t use wax.
This is the first time I've ever seen reference to the wax having something to do with a blade's sharpness. Think its generally accepted that its part of the packaging process.

This is the first time I've ever seen reference to the wax having something to do with a blade's sharpness. Think its generally accepted that its part of the packaging process.

Some have said the purpose of the wax is to keep the blade stationary within the rapper so the edge doesn't rub against the wrapper during transport and storage, thereby keeping the edge pristine. I don't personally buy that theory, as I doubt a company would pay for the materials (the wax) and the processes (how the wax is applied) to prevent the possibly of the blade somehow dulling throughout the supply chain.

For the record, I personally do hate the wax. I don't have an excellent reason for hating it, but I do.

Top Bottom