What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I can’t quarrel with your personal measurements. I was simply going by what Fatip says about the length of the handles on their various models. You need me to give you a link to the Fatip website? Assuming you can locate the website, just pull up any model and the first thing you’ll see listed is the measurements.

Edit: I see now that you found the website and saw the measurement info. Strange that it seems to be so wrong.
I wasn't intending any confrontation. I hope you didn't see it that way. I simply didn't want people getting the wrong information.

It's unfortunate that some of the information on their website is incorrect and hence misleading. Most of us veteran Fatip fans just shake our heads and laugh.

:letterk1: Fatip can be a strange bedfellow. :laugh:

Head and face shave
Schaffenmilch as stick
Yaqi "silvertip" I doubt it is....but it's a dense badger
Fatip Lo Sorto 2 pass headshave using an ASP #2, nice smooth good shave
Face I was going to use RR GC OC .84 (one of my faves) w a Lord Platinum #2, first pass left too much stubble for my taste....this combination did not work, so I just grabbed the Lo Sorto to the rescue and finished 1, 2nd and 3rd passes. This razor is a champion, and the Astra seems to do very well in it....
AS Pinaud Musk
AB Aquavelva 5in1
All things considered, one of the better shaves in a long time!!!

My FOCS arrived today and I immediately put it to use. I’ve read lots of reviews/comments on B&B regarding this razor and I must admit I was skeptical… no way this razor could be so smooth. Well….I couldn’t have been more wrong!! Almost everyone that praised this razor stated that there was no blade feel and they were spot on with their observations. I had three days of growth and it mowed it down like nothing. It’s was totally different from my other razors..…I could hear the whisker’s being cut but didn’t feel the blade at all. I could’ve stopped at two passes but ran a third just because. This is a great razor and hard to beat at the price point. For those that are skeptical like I was… buy one and give it a go…I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If you don’t like it I can promise someone here will take it off your hands.

23645008-9F06-471D-9ECD-878ACD058804.jpeg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My FOCS arrived today and I immediately put it to use. I’ve read lots of reviews/comments on B&B regarding this razor and I must admit I was skeptical… no way this razor could be so smooth. Well….I couldn’t have been more wrong!! Almost everyone that praised this razor stated that there was no blade feel and they were spot on with their observations. I had three days of growth and it mowed it down like nothing. It’s was totally different from my other razors..…I could hear the whisker’s being cut but didn’t feel the blade at all. I could’ve stopped at two passes but ran a third just because. This is a great razor and hard to beat at the price point. For those that are skeptical like I was… buy one and give it a go…I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If you don’t like it I can promise someone here will take it off your hands.

View attachment 1135808
I love the Osage Rub. :w00t:

First try of the FOCS yesterday evening.

proxy.php

I really enjoyed using the FOCS. It’s a very smooth shave and, whilst having more blade feel than the Gentile, it often felt that no blade was present. I compared it directly against the Gentile on the 3rd pass and can confirm that that the Gentile feels a touch milder and is slightly draggier in use.

Overall, FOCS felt like it’s every bit as good as the Gentile, and I really look forward to using them both again very soon. This result has surprised me a bit as I really was on the fence about getting an OC slant.

I can see me testing the FOCS against some of my other slants during the next few weeks as I really want to check out how it compares to both my B1 slant and Wunderbar. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I look forward to comparing with Wunderbar and B1. Maybe ready already?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Next week's shave will be, My Fatip Lo storto paired with a fresh Astra SS. My brushes will be my Maggard 22mm Synth, and my APShaveco synthetic brushes. For a soap I'm going in for the good stuff, lol, with Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury (It says so right in the name, Luxury). I remembered I have Van Der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm in my Dopp bag, so I decided to make it a true daily double everyday next week! We'll see how this Dutch American thing plays out? It's been awhile, and I've never used their soap and balm at the same time.
002_30.jpg

My beloved Fatip Lo Storto:
026_26.jpg

Aug 7: Grudge Match - Lo Storto OC vs v2 OC

Lather:
Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
Brush: Omega 10104 "Pro-104" (26/57mm)
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto open comb slant
2nd Razor: Fatip v2 OC head w/Lo Storto handle
Blade: Bolzano Superinox [4]
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 After Shave Balm

After 2 shaves with Lo Storto, I shaved with the v2 OC head and remarked that they shaved very similarly, and I should do a side-by-side shave to confirm. Today was that shave.

I purposely did not shave yesterday to give the razors a bit of a challenge (thick wiry old-man stubble). I used the same blade and same handle, with the slant head shaving the right side of my face and the Grande v2 OC on the left. Three full passes using SV soap and my new Omega Pro-104 brush. No blade fiddling with either razor; I just dropped the blade on the inverted cap and tightened it down. I didn't have my glasses so I didn't even check for alignment, but both razors had zero alignment issues before (unlike my v1 Piccolo)

Warning: Controversial opinions follow

I could not detect any difference in face feel (and I wanted to). The blade at 4 shaves is no longer invisible in the slant, but just a subdued presence in both razors. For those who don't know me, I routinely get 30-60 shaves on a blade, and shave steeeeeeep.

Blindfold me, hand me a razor and I would NOT be able to tell if it was Storto or not.

Still a darn fine razor Lo Storto is, but you know what, so is the Grande v2 OC. I would love to hear from others who try a side-by-side shave.
proxy.php

Lather:

After 2 shaves with Lo Storto, I shaved with the v2 OC head and remarked that they shaved very similarly, and I should do a side-by-side shave to confirm. Today was that shave.

I purposely did not shave yesterday to give the razors a bit of a challenge (thick wiry old-man stubble). I used the same blade and same handle, with the slant head shaving the right side of my face and the Grande v2 OC on the left. Three full passes using SV soap and my new Omega Pro-104 brush. No blade fiddling with either razor; I just dropped the blade on the inverted cap and tightened it down. I didn't have my glasses so I didn't even check for alignment, but both razors had zero alignment issues before (unlike my v1 Piccolo)

I could not detect any difference in face feel (and I wanted to). The blade at 4 shaves is no longer invisible in the slant, but just a subdued presence in both razors. For those who don't know me, I routinely get 30-60 shaves on a blade, and shave steeeeeeep.

Blindfold me, hand me a razor and I would NOT be able to tell if it was Storto or not.

Still a darn fine razor Lo Storto is, but you know what, so is the Grande v2 OC. I would love to hear from others who try a side-by-side shave.
proxy.php

I have both a Schöne and a FOCS and used both a couple of times each by now.

They give identically high quality shaves for me (I have GSB blades in both) but I do think the FOCS’s shave is quieter and a bit smoother. That’s it. No reason not to use the Schöne when I want.

Thank you @rudyt for doing an unbiased side by side showdown. Unfortunately I can't contribute anything meaningful to the discussion since I haven't used a FOCS as yet (still on sabbatical). But I am sure others will.

However, your post reminded me to give my V2 OC grande another go. Haven't used it for months though it's a excellent razor.

But tell me: why do you expect the FOCS fan croud to get a bit mad about your blasphemous post? :lol:

Last edited:
Used the FOCS again this morning on a 36-hour beard, this time with La Toja soap from the stick. This shave with the Fatip went even better than Tuesday last. Two passes on cheeks and lower lip, three on the throat; close, comfortable, no nicks or irritation, which is the important thing to me. A little grain is detectable on the left side of my neck when I go ATG, but then I didn't try hard to plane it off completely. No one is checking my face or throat to see how close I get to BBS.

Well, my barber might notice today when he's trimming my beard, but that's all.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have both a Schöne and a FOCS and used both a couple of times each by now.

They give identically high quality shaves for me (I have GSB blades in both) but I do think the FOCS’s shave is quieter and a bit smoother. That’s it. No reason not to use the Schöne when I want.
That's basically what I've been saying all along, that the FOSC is slightly smoother and as efficient a FOC. I just came out of a week long shave with my Fatip Zebrano OC and it's all the razor I ever need. The FOSC is just fun to use because it is slightly smoother.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

Lather:

proxy.php
Nice write up Rudy. If anyone could do a side by side comparison for you to compare. It would be me. I have a bunch of em lying about. May the week after next? I want to shave with next week's line up as my own comparison after a week with my OC Fatip.

That's basically what I've been saying all along, that the FOSC is slightly smoother and as efficient a FOC. I just came out of a week long shave with my Fatip Zebrano OC and it's all the razor I ever need. The FOSC is just fun to use because it is slightly smoother.
See, that's exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find it.

Next time I do a side-by-side, I will use a more seasoned blade, more akin to what I normally shave with.

Face it, when you routinely shave with blades with 30-60 shaves on them, a new blade is a rarity and not representative of my typical shave. In reality, a Gillette Tech with a brand new blade also has zero blade feel, and *might* feel just like a Lo Storto

Raven Koenes

My precious!
See, that's exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find it.

Next time I do a side-by-side, I will use a more seasoned blade, more akin to what I normally shave with.

Face it, when you routinely shave with blades with 30-60 shaves on them, a new blade is a rarity and not representative of my typical shave. In reality, a Gillette Tech with a brand new blade also has zero blade feel, and *might* feel just like a Lo Storto
You may just find it confirms the results of your first side by side test.

Saturday August 8
Ten minute hot shower
Lo Storto
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

I have been going 120 hrs. Why not 144 hrs for my first Bic head Shave. I like this blade and even if it doesn’t do it for me on second and possible following shaves. I will be buying a half dozen tucks minimum. The Bic was not quite as sharp as a Feather but three times smoother. What a smooth blade. Smoother and considerably sharper than the Voskhod. Half way thru the face shave I could feel the coating disappear and a tad less smoothness but still very nice. My ATG Single Pass shaves probably have a 20% wet blade to skin follow up strokes. Great lather, smooth blade, flawless BBS. This was third and last shave with the Jade. It is a an excellent brush. I prefer a larger or denser knot for my head lathering. This is not a criticism but a preference.
Efficiency what is it? For me you do less and get more. Vitos is the most efficient, comfortable, easiest soap I have ever used. I will not be rotating Vitos any time soon. I will be using a newly knotted white tip two band with it next shave. Badger is my favourite hair. I am very excited and looking forward to Vitos with badger. Vitos will be the first re purchase on a soap for me.
Lo Storto is the bomb. A Grande on steroids. Just like the Grande sharper blades accelerate the performance to an unmatched smoothness and efficiency. Third shave and every shave stroke was pure enjoyment. I will never leave The House of Fatip.
Sastifaction, enjoyment, efficiency, smoothness and comfort was today’s shave. I’m happy.

Attachments

• CD4BE66B-56C4-4F70-BA8C-22AED6D1408E.jpeg
    CD4BE66B-56C4-4F70-BA8C-22AED6D1408E.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 04CF89C3-6E9F-4366-9D4C-1EE1D149AAB5.jpeg
    04CF89C3-6E9F-4366-9D4C-1EE1D149AAB5.jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 18
Aug 9: Revenge Match - Lo Storto OC vs v2 OC

Lather:
Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife
Blade: Shark Super Stainless [54]

As promised, another side-by-side shave between the flat and crooked Fatip OCs, this time with a much duller blade. Like Fridays shave, I had a two day stubble, but this time used Haslinger instead of SV. The results were very different than last time.

I started with the Grande v2 head this time and there was much tugging - not very comfortable. This blade still does well in some of my razors, but the Grande is not one of those. Note that I would never use this blade in a two day stubble with any razor; today was an extreme test just to compare razors at a very challenging task.

Transferred the blade to Lo Storto and there was much tugging again - not very comfortable. If you've read this far, you're thinking "so how do they compare?"

While the Lo Storto first pass was horrible, it was much less horrible than the Grande; it was not hard to discern the improvement. Yay!

Second and third passes on both razors was decent, much less difference between the two, but easy to tell that Lo Storto was smoother.

End resent was not a very close shave, bit even DFS, but I wasn't going to push it.

My conclusion is that Lo Storto is a better shaver than the v2 OC for my face and technique, and would excel when used with a blade in its buttery smooth sweet spot (10-30 shaves). With a sharp blade (1-10 shaves) the Grande is just as good, and neither razor would do well with a really dull blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
John @JoWolf, I'd bet a nickel you'd like the Semogue SOC Mistura brush.

8-4-20.IridiumSuper.FOCS.Mistura.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

It's the best straight out of the box brush I've used. Better, it improves as it breaks in. Mine now has zero prickliness and zero bad scritch. It's a flat out lather monster. It has truly great scrub by any standard. At the same time, it's not so dense as to impede flow through. It rinses easily enough. The handle has good ergonomics. I can't find anything about it except things to praise.

I would prefer it to be 26mm instead of 24mm, but, even there I can't really complain as it's a big 24mm knot.

I'm right there with you on the Fatip Open Comb Slant and Vitos Red Cocco. I have several other razors and soaps but they're all gathering dust now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

John @JoWolf, I'd bet a nickel you'd like the Semogue SOC Mistura brush.

View attachment 1137273

It's the best straight out of the box brush I've used. Better, it improves as it breaks in. Mine now has zero prickliness and zero bad scritch. It's a flat out lather monster. It has truly great scrub by any standard. At the same time, it's not so dense as to impede flow through. It rinses easily enough. The handle has good ergonomics. I can't find anything about it except things to praise.

I would prefer it to be 26mm instead of 24mm, but, even there I can't really complain as it's a big 24mm knot.

I'm right there with you on the Fatip Open Comb Slant and Vitos Red Cocco. I have several other razors and soaps but they're all gathering dust now.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It’s a beauty Jim. The orange really pops. My best brush selection is always a compromise. The best for my face and I miss on the head and vice versa. I really enjoy buying the knots and putting them together. I only have the Zenith Chubby Scrubby to compare so that was the reason I went for the Jade. I wanted to compare well respected brushes to my DIY knots. It helped me difine what I was liking and looking for in a boar. I’m leaning towards the dynamics of the Chubby with a little slight increased loft. I recently knotted another boar with 3mm o ring spacers. The largest boar knots I’ve used are 26mm with almost the density of the Chubby. That is the direction that suits my shave. Like you Jim lathering is very high on the enjoyment meter.

Jim your Vitos reviews are excellent and exactly my feelings about the soap. I watched you guys with great interest in the early going sorting out the difference between the reds. I had to do my quick limited artisan samples before visiting the strong long standing basic soaps. Full circle (although a small one) and the comparisons strongly validate Vitos. I love it when you find and use something and it squelches the search. If I keep getting settled with products and equipment do I lose the Bosc Card? Oh and another thing Jim you guys are hard to keep up with I’m running out of breath😛

Attachments

• F2DA3231-D5ED-4CAF-A519-225C93D52F73.jpeg
    F2DA3231-D5ED-4CAF-A519-225C93D52F73.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 20
  • FADE6FFF-E43A-422B-A0B6-60DB79F8DBB2.jpeg
    FADE6FFF-E43A-422B-A0B6-60DB79F8DBB2.jpeg
    978.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 62344D3C-B8D2-4F58-9007-7FFA69B5AC05.jpeg
    62344D3C-B8D2-4F58-9007-7FFA69B5AC05.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 413BFE85-DC60-4BBF-8487-5491977F22C8.jpeg
    413BFE85-DC60-4BBF-8487-5491977F22C8.jpeg