What's new

Cleaning the sink after shaving

I use a small Glad sandwich container at the bottom of the sink during 100% of the shave.
The reason to use a smaller container is to reduce foot print of soap scum and not use as much water, also to protect my razors from hitting the sides of sink when trying to rinse of suds.
Between passes you can scoop water out of the small container or just use the tap and let it overflow if you like cold water rinses it still leaves a small foot print.(Shave from start to finish after cleaning 15-25 minutes
What usually happens is fellows fill the whole sink up and do their shave pull the plug and let the scummy soap & whiskers and facial oils coat the whole basin up. With the smaller target basin it just overflows and reduces the foot print of the area that might get dirty. Also after the shave I place my lather bowl inside the plastic container to reduce clutter. I have been doing this routine for about 3 years and I do not how it can be perfected any better.
To wipe up I use All purpose towels that dry quickly and can be used many times. I will take soap out of the brush and place it in the plastic bowl and rinse my brush in there also to create soap water to clean the reusable towel and then place out to dry. Seems to work, I will not use a face wash cloth to wipe up the counter top after the shave and clean the mirror up a little. Then every 3 weeks the counter and sink get a very good cleaning. The plastic bowl is like a magnet for soap scum over time.

View attachment 1134091 View attachment 1134089
Have some great shaves!

being doing this for a long time - I found a nice melamine rice bowl, fancy.

-jim

It's not the layer on the surface of the bowl you have to worry about, it's the slowly building clog from all this same 'material' that is growing somewhere in your drain. I know I'll give flamed for this but trust me, it will strike eventually.

There is another thread where a member has a repeated issue with this and had to switch to different products as a result.

I use a small Glad sandwich container at the bottom of the sink during 100% of the shave.
The reason to use a smaller container is to reduce foot print of soap scum and not use as much water, also to protect my razors from hitting the sides of sink when trying to rinse of suds.
Between passes you can scoop water out of the small container or just use the tap and let it overflow if you like cold water rinses it still leaves a small foot print.(Shave from start to finish after cleaning 15-25 minutes
What usually happens is fellows fill the whole sink up and do their shave pull the plug and let the scummy soap & whiskers and facial oils coat the whole basin up. With the smaller target basin it just overflows and reduces the foot print of the area that might get dirty. Also after the shave I place my lather bowl inside the plastic container to reduce clutter. I have been doing this routine for about 3 years and I do not how it can be perfected any better.
To wipe up I use All purpose towels that dry quickly and can be used many times. I will take soap out of the brush and place it in the plastic bowl and rinse my brush in there also to create soap water to clean the reusable towel and then place out to dry. Seems to work, I will not use a face wash cloth to wipe up the counter top after the shave and clean the mirror up a little. Then every 3 weeks the counter and sink get a very good cleaning. The plastic bowl is like a magnet for soap scum over time.

View attachment 1134091 View attachment 1134089
Have some great shaves!
This is honestly brilliant. I’ll have to do this from now on.

I usually clean the bathroom once a week, but this little set up would make my heart happier not seeing all the crud in the sink after a shave. Part of my OCD requires everything to be cleaned afterwards so the less mess I can actually see, the better.

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar under the sink. Once a week, or so, I'll spray the sink with vinegar then wipe it down with a sponge. It takes the soap scum off right away. I had to do a minor plumbing job this weekend so had a chance to look in the pipes under the sink. I was expecting the worst, but they were clean as a whistle.

This is interesting. I may start dumping some down the drain weekly and see if that cuts down on the clogs. Thanks!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
This is interesting. I may start dumping some down the drain weekly and see if that cuts down on the clogs. Thanks!
I use vinegar and baking soda. First pour a little baking soda in the drain, and then some vinegar. Then pour very hot water down the drain. Keeps the pipes clean without using harmful drano type chemicals.

I was actually told about using vinegar by a plumber. I’ll pour a few cups down the drain & let it sit overnight, then in the morning pour hot water down the drain. It’s been working like a charm & I’m not using any of the corrosive chemical solvents anymore.

I make sure to rinse off the sink with water to get all the soap scum off and clean it every couple weeks using a scrubber and some toothpaste.

I tried the scrubbing bubbles and the brightware is spotless and shining. But the sink still has soap scum. This is after only two shaves. I’m going to have to look at what cultured marble manufacturers recommend before proceeding. I’m leery of anything abrasive.

I tried the scrubbing bubbles and the brightware is spotless and shining. But the sink still has soap scum. This is after only two shaves. I’m going to have to look at what cultured marble manufacturers recommend before proceeding. I’m leery of anything abrasive.

CLR (and products like it) should fit the bill. No abrasives.
I quit using abrasives or the green scrub pads because after a while you can see the scratches in the glazing.

I simply turn on/off facet to rinse the razor. It goes right down the drain, then after I shave I take my hand to get any soap suds that fell off the mark and splash the water to clean.

Top Bottom