What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Schick Injector G5 (turquoise)
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Semogue: Owner Club Boar 24mm
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli: Liquirizia e Menta
Aftershave: Stirling Glacial Obsidian (Splash)
120AD8ED-BD8F-40DC-AEF2-265E9D54378D.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
A sChick with a Lot of Baggage !!!
This shave deserves a 10/10, but I had to knock it down just because the razor gave me nothing but grief right up to the first stroke...then it was divine. I’m sure you’ve met those kind of sChicks before.
It arrived used and corroded...expected. Had a real hard time opening the lock to remove the rusted old blade and clean up the razor. No matter how many tools I used, I could not re-engage the lock. During my wrenching and prying, the handle came off! I finally had to cut part of the lock off with side cutters. Basically, I turned the it into an E2 lock. Okay, great. Let’s inject a brand new blade. The blade jammed part way into the injection, and I needed tools and a hammer to complete the process. Fine! now the blade is in crooked and I have to crack the lock so it can drop into place. Luckily my earlier forced lock conversion made this easy. All looks well, but I’m really cranky now. I’m ready to shave. If this razor so much as gives me the slightest bit of back talk it’s going to live the rest of its life in a box full of junk.
I think this sChick sensed a possible hard life out on the mean streets and gave me one of the most smooth and perfect shaves a man could dream of.
...and I can’t say enough about the shaving cream. I love the lather and the scent. One of my favorites.

Stay safe and don’t pick up any sChicks with too much baggage.

Last edited:
Isn't it strange how you can smell something in the bottle and think...oh...that's nice! And then put it on and think...well...not so much. I've had several experiences like that.
Body chemistry can be a total game changer when applying skin scents. There are some scents that my body just eats and destroys.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Body chemistry can be a total game changer when applying skin scents. There are some scents that my body just eats and destroys.

Truth be known...as much as I really like some of their scents...Some of PAA's stuff changes on me. Smells fantastic in the bottle, but after an hour on me...meh. Atomic Age Bay Rum aftershave is one of them. It kills me because it smells great in the bottle. I use the soap and bought the cologne to see if it would fare any better. But the aftershave is off limits to me now.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur Aug 6th 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic, flyingwing, MMBT, Guiding eye......-Mfg 1947-50
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)- Excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore- Great scent with excellent lather qualities :001_wub:
Brush : Yaqi Timber Wolf whiskers 24mm Synthetic- great brush for making lather quickly with nice soft tips, cloud feel.
Pre Shave: Shower + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green after shave lotion + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:great shave with my Gem Micromatic Flying wing.

SE SOTD. Thur. Aug 6th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Razor: Gem Junior
Blade: Personna ptfe (1)
Brush: Elite HMW
Soap: SV Dolomiti
Aftershave: SV Dolomiti
Rating: 7

IMG_1964.jpeg

First time using this razor. Like the handle a lot. No nicks or weepers, but had to be veeeery careful. A lot more blade feedback and feel than I'm used to. Challenging upper lip with blade dragging/tugging ATG so didn't push it, choosing comfort over closeness.

I'm having trouble bonding with GEM blades. I've used them a few times with a Sabre in addition to this first-use with a Gem Jr. If I had the variety of SE choices I have in DE samples I'd swap immediately in hopes of finding something that felt better.

Razor: 1960 Gillette Fatboy; adjustable set to 7 today
Blade: US Personna Lab Blue, in blue wrapper, before they switched to plain white a couple years ago (shave #1)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 9.0

Lunchtime shave on one day of growth. Easy, quick BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes without any tugging, pulling, irritation or razor burn, thanks to the Coniferous soap. However, I had forgotten how sharp these Lab Blue blades are, even after last using a Feather blade for a week of shaves: I had seven painless nicks during my shave, so I deducted one point from the rating today. Then again, I hadn't used the Fatboy in several months, so I may have lost the feel for this razor. Tomorrow, I might dial the adjustment back to 6 or 5.

Razor: Gem Junior
Blade: Personna ptfe (1)
Brush: Elite HMW
Soap: SV Dolomiti
Aftershave: SV Dolomiti
Rating: 7

View attachment 1135831

First time using this razor. Like the handle a lot. No nicks or weepers, but had to be veeeery careful. A lot more blade feedback and feel than I'm used to. Challenging upper lip with blade dragging/tugging ATG so didn't push it, choosing comfort over closeness.

I'm having trouble bonding with GEM blades. I've used them a few times with a Sabre in addition to this first-use with a Gem Jr. If I had the variety of SE choices I have in DE samples I'd swap immediately in hopes of finding something that felt better.
I find that with these razors, I need to keep the blade flatter/more parallel with the skin than with DEs, especially on the ATG pass. Hope that helps.

if I remember right with the personna gem blades.......shaves 4 thru 8 were pretty mellowed out.

might also try a gentler beast such as a featherweight, Gbar, or Pushbutton.

camo
The blade gets pretty mellow by shave four. I had my ninth shave a few days ago and the blade gave me no grief or any reason not to continue on to a tenth shave.

36-hour beard

'62 Slim Adjustable, new Personna Red blade

La Toja soap in stick form

EJ badger brush

Stirling Sharp Dressed Man aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

No shower, so I washed my face and used the hot wet towel (over a light pre-shave coat of La Toja) on face and throat. Then throat- and face-lathered the La Toja and wielded the razor: Setting 3 on cheeks and throat, down to 2 for lower lip and second pass on the the cheeks and throat. Not BBS, but I was not trying for it. And my recent setting of the Slim to numbers like 5-3-1 might be a bit aggressive, especially with less than 2 days of beard.

Verdict: a 9.

Thursday shave
2 days of growth.

Razor: Parker Adjustable (bumped up to 3)
Blade: Dorco
Brush: WCS Ancient Stone Badger
Soap: B&M Waves
Aftershave: B&M Waves with 3 drops of Terror cooling drops
Bowl: Fleamarket find.

Bumped up the Parker Adjustable to 3 with the Dorco blade. Pretty good and close shave. just a touch of post shave irritation, but I have several shaves on this blade, so I will not knock it.

Soap: First time using any B&M products. Soap is nice and slick, lathers well.
Aftershave: B&M waves with Terror drops. The drops rock!
I didn't get my shave in this AM because I had to be at my folks house for an appliance repair that decided to show up 2 hours early, so as I finished up my shave, my order for the Terror line showed up, so I decided to try a few drops in the Waves aftershave. This stuff really does cool, without the menthol smell. Better than the Duke Cannon cooling aftershave by miles. The drops will be used every shave while it's still hot outside.

Overall, I give this shave an 8.

Top Bottom