What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Gillette 195 Fatboy (Replated)
Blade: Super Platinum Class (1)
Brush: Simpsons Emperor 3
Soap: Simpsons Luxury Shaving Cream

Rating: 9/10. Not close enough, no nicks or irritations.

Razor set on #4 for whole shave. Despite 3 passes I couldn't get it to cut all whiskers down along jawline, user issue I blame on lack of coffee. Will have to dial up the aggressiveness on the razor for future shaves! Lathering super soft with emperor, it pairs really well with cream.

5-aug shv (2).jpg

Tuesday Evening SOTD
  • Pre: Hot water face rinse, TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
  • Razor: Merkur 34G
  • Blade: Astra SP (1)
  • Brush: Suavecito Synthetic 20mm
  • Shaving Soap: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Bowl: Captain’s Choice Gunmetal
  • Aftershave: Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Score: 8.5/10 DFS+
    • WTG, XTG, ATG w/ touch ups
    • Small spot of irritation on neck due to going ATG
    • One weeper, quickly sealed with cold water rinse
    • Again, didn’t need to do ATG on my neck area. Probably won’t next time around to avoid irritation
    • Other areas BBS
    • Proraso is an awesome soap. It’s no Cella/La Toja in my eyes but it was enjoyable to shave with
Overall a good shave for the first time using Proraso Red. Lathered up beautifully in the bowl. First pass left my skin feeling a tad dry, so I added a little more water between my second and third passes and that seemed to take care of the issue. Very pleasant aroma once the soap is lathered on face. Pleased with the performance and cushion of the soap. Really need to stop going ATG on my neck area. Lately it hasn’t been agreeing with me so I need to step away from that for a bit I think.

BFACA096-D06A-4704-8365-3BB4EADD141B.jpeg

1E72EF35-6E1F-483D-948C-098550915D03.jpeg
1643193A-512B-416C-B9C0-7318F358C291.jpeg

Gem MMOC Personna blade (4)
Schick injector type E1 (can't remember how many days)
Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood and Citrus soap
Post: Thayers rose, water clean, Lucky Tiger aftershave and face tonic

So tonight I decided I was doing a shower shave with the Gem MMOC. Living dangerously is what I do. Used hot water to get a good prep and lathered up nice and slick. Here goes....I shaved my whole face, with the exception of chin and rear jaw, with no cuts and no weepers. I even shaved my top lip, which I would not have done two shaves ago. I finished with the injector.

I actually think I like this razor. Two days in a row and I still have my epidermal layer, no skin burn, nothing. Four shaves on the blade and its working great.

I read a lot on the forum. Now I have another tool to shave with and enjoy it.

Wednesday’s mid week blues shave - An extra fine 9/10 DFS

Pre shave - Forest Essentials Sandalwood & Orange Peel Pre Shave Oil
Shaving cream - Forest Essentials Sandalwood & Orange Peel Shaving Cream
Lathering Bowl - Supply marble lathering bowl
Brush - Trigodon 23 mm tuxedo knot synthetic
Razor - Edwin Jagger ivory finish DE89
Blade - Gillette 7 o’ clock super Platinum (black one on 2nd use)
Aftershave - Alum block followed by Pink Woolf Oudh & Sandalwood cooling post shave balm

Today’s shave was an extra cautious shave on the 2nd day of 2 consecutive shaves! Tried all the best products available to ensure good cushion of lather and a smooth razor glide. Today’s shave was a three pass and post three passes I had a DFS with very minimum irritation and no nicks and cuts! The alum feedback was significant which I was expecting as I was shaving on 3 passes on the 2nd consecutive day! The cooling aftershave enriched with menthol helped the skin to cool down and the fragrance took me to a different world altogether and was very relaxing!

I would rate today’s shave as 9/10 with 1 point deducted due to the little irritation felt right after the third pass which ideally I feel could have been avoided with gentler strokes during the third pass.

Next shave on Friday! Till then thank you and happy shaves to all 🙏🏽

9BAD9989-8FAA-4A73-B8FF-D70006CFE9D1.jpeg
EC2450A0-F2C7-4D0E-B7FC-9716630CB008.jpeg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil.
- The Real Shaving Company Age Defence Traditional Shave Cream.

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Baylis & Harding Black Pepper and Ginseng aftershave balm.
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 9/10
Second shave with the BIC Chrome Platinum. It felt sharp and smooth, with the WTG pass in particular feeling like the blade glided across my face with no resistance. Close irritation free shave with BBS on cheeks and no feedback from the alum block. It's slightly edged ahead of the Israeli Red after two shaves, but its close enough that I'll give them both a second run before I bulk buy blades (unless the Feather easily outperforms both which I am skeptical of). I've almost finished my RSC cream as well. I would definitely recommend it and buy it again, especially for the price, but I have a ton of samples and new creams/soaps to get through so I don't think I'll be picking up another RSC for a while!

My first shave with the Fatip Open Comb Slant!

48-hour beard

Personna Red blade, new

Tabac in stick form

APShaveCo synth tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I tried to keep all the variables to a minimum and my routine unchanged. Showered, a little Tabac as a pre-shave, then lathered up and wielded the razor. First pass to the cheeks left them feeling quite smooth -- a 1-pass shave there would be more than socially acceptable. There was more stubble to be removed on pass 2, but only for a purist like yours truly. Same for the lower lip.

Three passes on the throat left me quite smooth there too, though aware that I've shaved. No irritation. I did nick myself once, not on the lower lip as I often do, but on the Adam's apple; but to be fair I was doing a bit of cleanup that I really did not need to do. The left side of my throat, the area that is hard to achieve even my near-BBS on, is well planed off as well.

Discounting the nick, which didn't need to happen, I'd give the shave a 9.7.

Razor: Razorock GC68-P
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving Soap in a bowl
Additional Care:
Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very smooth, very close and pleasant shave.

Rating: 9.8/10

Daily Shave: 05 August 2020

DSCF2199.JPG

Prep: Lectric Shave
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Gillette 7 o-clock Green Blade #1 Shave #5 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe -- using distilled water and Campbell’s soup container.
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.5 / 10.0 DFS+ Another nice shave to start the day off with. Blade is hinting at dulling.

RazoRock GC 68-P (1st use, arrived yesterday)
Voskhod Blade
Rockwell Synthetic Brush
Arko puck
Alum Block and Fine Green Vetiver A/S

10/10
Rare day where there wasn't one sting from the alum block after a three pass (two on the neck) shave.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Brush: Fendrihan Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Crown Shaving Company After Shave Tonic

One of the best shaves I've gotten in a long time. I absolutely hate to admit this, because it means I may have to buy some expensive blades, but the Personna Med Prep performed so well in the Mamba that I will be purchasing some of these blades. I had one lying around from a tryablade.com purchase and popped it in remembering that the sharpness rating on it was pretty high. Beautiful shave! The Crown Shaving Tonic smells great...I bought it on the strength of some ratings folks gave it online. It was a little pricey, but it's definitely nice. When you smell it from the bottle, you pick up a black licorice scent. When you put it on, it morphs into something very nice. Described online as: Notes of Tobacco, Leather, Bay Rum & Talc. Zingari Man Sego provided ample protection as usual.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200805.jpg

Preshave: Hot Shower
Soap: Stirling Piacenza
Brush: Razorock Snowman
Razor: Rockwell 6S with plate 4, 3 passes
Blade: Treet Platinum, 3rd use
Afters: Razorock Alum stick,
Stirling Piacenza splash

Rating: 10 / 10

Same shave each of the last 3 days. All comfortable stress free BBS with no irritation. Yesterday's gave me 14 hours before any significant whiskers could be felt. The Treet blades are a surprise; never used them before but they seem really sharp and very smooth. The 6S is making it difficult to reach for my other razors. All in all, I can't see how it could get any better :)

I had myself another GREAT darned shave today. Better then yesterday! I looked down at the old shave mug with Williams soap and said "why not?". I hadn't used a badger brush with Williams until today and it certainly creates a better lather then with a synthetic.

I used some Proraso Preshave. Williams soap and then Stirling Executive Man splash and EDT. A little bit of WH before the splash and good to go. I did a better job on my clean up with the red top and the old Personna Red are giving me very smooth shaves.

9.3/10

KM

IMG_20200805_063430.jpg

WEd shave dresser.jpg

Wednesday’s Shave

I went with Klar Seifen Rasiwerseife soap today. Today I used my Frank Shaving syn brush. Since this is Wednesday the razor is a Wolfman SS SB WR2 1.05 mm razor loaded with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade. Today’s aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was TOBS Sandalwood Cologne. A perfect 10 shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD,Wed Aug 5th 2020

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant- MFG 2017>
Blade: Polsilver SI (3) Sharp & Smooth blade.
Soap: Razorock Sant Marie del Fiore- great tobaco vanillia scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm synthetic- excellent lathering brush with good soft tips- worth every penny I spent!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Avon True Gent with witch Hazel + a dollop of True gent balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + some irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: great shave with my RR Wunderbar slant.

DE SOTD, Wed, Aug 5th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay safe in these times!

Top Bottom