What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Mine was shipped on July 6th from the U.K to Canada. To date, I still haven’t received it. Until then I’ll be living vicariously through all of your posts.
"From The River City"... Edmonton? If so, then I'm next door to you (in Vancouver, B.C.).

I ordered my FOCS from Connaught on June 22 and it arrived on July 3. That's 11 days which, in the age of the pandemic, is remarkably quick!

Connaught states that the typical shipping time to North America is up to 20 days. However, they mention that you should wait 50 days before contacting them. I suspect that this is to allow the package to clear Customs... which may be where your FOCS is stuck. ☹

"From The River City"... Edmonton? If so, then I'm next door to you (in Vancouver, B.C.).

I ordered my FOCS from Connaught on June 22 and it arrived on July 3. That's 11 days which, in the age of the pandemic, is remarkably quick!

Connaught states that the typical shipping time to North America is up to 20 days. However, they mention that you should wait 50 days before contacting them. I suspect that this is to allow the package to clear Customs... which may be where your FOCS is stuck. [emoji852]

Winnipeg, good sir. We have the Assiniboine as well as the Red River.

I had a chance to communicate with Paul at Connaught and he explained exactly as you’ve mentioned. I’m not worried, just anxious to take the FOCS for a spin.

Here’s hoping it arrives shortly. Hope you’re enjoying your new razor!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Zebrano
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Omega S10077
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Aftershave: Osage Rub
032_42.jpg

I'm really loving this line up. I may be on an Astra kick for awhile. My Fatip is a classy looking well built razor. The aesthetics of it alone should be enough to put the Fatip nay-sayers to rest. It won't. The shave was a three pass shave today. It was smooth and near flawless. I'd say it was flawless except nothing on the planet is perfect. I'm enjoying De Vergulde Hand. The vegetal slickness and post shave feel is as good as any vegetal soap there is. I also love the fresh lime citrus scent. It is very clean. I might use it fixed for awhile, or I might see if I can pull out a puck of Van Der Hagen to compare it with next week. The Netherlands vs a Dutch American soap. I know some Dutch aren't too keen on the whole Dutch expat thing, but, hey, here we are regardless. This will be my last posting of a non-Lo Storto Fatip on this thread. Until I'm using my Lo Storto again no more pictures...I'll comment plenty.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
How about a Lo Storto Zebrano? That might be a good combo.

🦓
I do have a friend, here, who thinks putting the Lo Storto head on a long handle would be sacrilege. Some might say it is long enough to use as an oar to paddle a boat. I kind of fall into that camp. I prefer handles around 75mm's. The Fatip wood handle is 90mm. The Lo Storto handle is 75mm. The total length of the Woods is about a 110 mm compared to the Lo Storto's total length of 85mm. That said, for a long handle, the woods are superbly balanced.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How about a Lo Storto Zebrano? That might be a good combo.

🦓
I do have a friend, here, who thinks putting the Lo Storto head on a long handle would be sacrilege. Some might say it is long enough to use as an oar to paddle a boat. I kind of fall into that camp. I prefer handles around 75mm's. The Fatip wood handle is 90mm. The Lo Storto handle is 75mm. The total length of the Woods is about a 110 mm compared to the Lo Storto's total length of 85mm. That said, for a long handle, the woods are superbly balanced.

I am planning on partnering the FOCS head with one of the Fatip or Joris wood handles. :)

Science demands it. ;)

:hand: You're thinking about the (perfect) Piccolo handle length Rave. Lo Storto and Grande handles are 81mm long. :wink2:

According to their maker, Fatip, the Lo Storto handle length is 75mm...as Raven Koenes noted.

Weight: 67 g / Total length – 85 mm / Length Handle – 75 mm / Width head – 23 mm

The Piccolo handle is 71mm, and the Grande handle is 78mm.

:hand:

Last edited:
Dear Gents,

I understand that the majority is using the open comb version but I have at hands the closed comb.
My question is what blades do you find to be a good match? I 've had 2 shaves so far with my favourite Wilkinsons (German ones) but the results where a little ..meh.

My first shave with the Fatip Open Comb Slant, loaded with a new Personna Red blade and employing Tabac soap in stick form!

I tried to keep all the variables to a minimum and my routine unchanged. Showered, a little Tabac as a pre-shave, then lathered up and wielded the razor. First pass to the cheeks left them feeling quite smooth -- a 1-pass shave there would be more than socially acceptable. There was more stubble to be removed on pass 2, but only for a purist like yours truly. Same for the lower lip.

Three passes on the throat left me quite smooth there too, though aware that I've shaved. No irritation. I did nick myself once, not on the lower lip as I often do, but on the Adam's apple; but to be fair I was doing a bit of cleanup that I really did not need to do. The left side of my throat, the area that is hard to achieve even my near-BBS on, is well planed off as well.

Discounting the nick, which didn't need to happen, I'd give the shave a 9.7.

According to their maker, Fatip, the Lo Storto handle length is 75mm...as Raven Koenes noted.
In that case the maker's information is incorrect. Do you have a link please?
Weight: 67 g / Total length – 85 mm / Length Handle – 75 mm / Width head – 23 mm
I've checked again. All the above measurements are correct barring the handle length... which is 81mm, NOT 75mm.
Nope. Piccolo handle 75mm, Grande handle 81mm, and Lo Storto handle 81mm.
Handle-Lengths_2020-08-05.jpg

BTW, the 70mm to 75mm "IDEAL" handle length (green stripe) is MY "ideal." :wink2:

Raven Koenes

My precious!

I've checked again. All the above measurements are correct barring the handle length... which is 81mm, NOT 75mm.

View attachment 1135172
BTW, the 70mm to 75mm "IDEAL" handle length (green stripe) is MY "ideal." :wink2:
What was I thinking going by Fatip and their penchant for flexible measurements.
:tongue_sm I stand with you Cal! :lol1:

According to their maker, Fatip, the Lo Storto handle length is 75mm...
Ha! I've just found the information on their website. I hadn't seen that before so I guess it's relatively new.

I emailed Morocutti (their distributor) with the corrections. Mind you I'm guessing at their email address. First I tried [email protected] which bounced... then I tried [email protected] which hasn't bounced (so far...).

View attachment 1135172

That slant handle is sexy.

They should sell it with the more common Gillette size threads.

That slant handle is sexy.

They should sell it with the more common Gillette size threads.
I just wish they would not design the bottom of the handle to look like a twist-to-open knob. It just seems fake once you know it doesn't turn. IMHO, it would look better with a smooth, polished end that is similar to the top, like a bell-shaped flare. The Piccolo handle is my favorite; solid brass and compact.

I can’t quarrel with your personal measurements. I was simply going by what Fatip says about the length of the handles on their various models. You need me to give you a link to the Fatip website? Assuming you can locate the website, just pull up any model and the first thing you’ll see listed is the measurements.

Edit: I see now that you found the website and saw the measurement info. Strange that it seems to be so wrong.

Top Bottom