What's new

I Give Up - What is a Method Edge?

I have seen "method edge" used several different times here and do not know what it means. I tried online searches to no avail. (All I found was different methods of shaving and talk of the blade's edge.)

So, what is a method edge? Is it a specific way of sharpening? Or is it someone's personal method of honing/sharpening? Or ?????

Thanks!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The Method edge is achieved by following the Newbie Honing Compendium.

It's a long read that developers the Method as it progresses. Take notes as you carefully read it all and then read it all again.

Trust me, the knowledge you gain is well worth all the effort.

I just looked again, I can't find it myself. I believe @slashmccoy was the originator of it.
The Method edge is achieved by following the Newbie Honing Compendium.

It's a long read that developers the Method as it progresses. Take notes as you carefully read it all and then read it all again.

Trust me, the knowledge you gain is well worth all the effort.

Thanks! I will give it a read. This is where I am at in my SR journey - ready to star honing. I have a couple of less expensive SRs to experiment with.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks! I will give it a read. This is where I am at in my SR journey - ready to star honing. I have a couple of less expensive SRs to experiment with.
Provided you follow the Method to the letter, it will produce a very shaveable edge of a high standard. Once you can consistently achieve that and only then, you can start modifying your use of the Method to your own liking to see if you can achieve better. Until then, don't try.

It took me a few SR's at first to be consistent in obtaining the Method edge. After that, I was able to further improve edges to my liking by slightly modifying my diamond pasted balsa stropping routine.

To fully set yourself up for the Method should cost you well under USD 100.

I use shavettes and have not tried honing in years but I would like to make a couple of suggestions.

1) Could a mod, steward, sticky-meister, or hone-meister kindly update the sticky in the honing subforum to include this and other common methods? The existing stickies have not been updated in a long time. I am not knowledgeable enough to do that, but just adding a link to the above thread would be a good start.

2) Language and terms are hard to change so this suggestion not practical or even serious, but surely there could be a better or more descriptive name for this honing method. Since it is "a" honing method, not "the" honing method. The name reminds me of method shaving as popularized by Charles Roberts, which lends it a mixed vibe. (I do like the simplicity of this method and want to try it in the future).

It’s a prescribed cost effective method to put a shave ready edge on a straight razor. What I mean by cost effective is no need for expensive whetstones to get super keen edges.

2) Language and terms are hard to change so this suggestion not practical or even serious, but surely there could be a better or more descriptive name for this honing method. Since it is "a" honing method, not "the" honing method.

i dont have the back story in how this was dubbed “method” honing, i feel like i read about it once, some enthusiastic folks. I think the “method”ical concept comes from the following (someone correct me if i an wrong)
  1. Have flat surfaces
  2. Have film progression
  3. Have balsa and pastes/sprays
  4. Use film to set bevel by burr development and burr removal
  5. Continue film progression
  6. Use balsa to finish
  7. Strop?
  8. Shave
Foolproof “method” in a way. in my
mind, every honing process I’ve tried is methodical, just requires some exposure. I think that folks have re-defined the word method for themselves. Kudos to trying to create a way for people to understand but i think its simplicity in name is obvi confusing.

i believe the films progression is also known as Scary Sharp to the knife community.

can’t miss the goal, unless you your film has degraded, or the plate surface isnt dead flat, has debris under the film, too much pressure, etc.

2) Language and terms are hard to change so this suggestion not practical or even serious, but surely there could be a better or more descriptive name for this honing method. Since it is "a" honing method, not "the" honing method. The name reminds me of method shaving as popularized by Charles Roberts, which lends it a mixed vibe. (I do like the simplicity of this method and want to try it in the future).
Couldn't agree more on the "a" Vs. "the" notion.

There seems to be a handful of folks here trying to prove all the time that it is the "THE" method (pun intended), while most people seem to prefer (natural) stones and leave the lapping film out of the equation altogether.

I for one am one of those guys who couldn't be bothered with this so called "the method", it's such a pain in the a.$.$ when I just think of all the gear you need. Imagine having 5 different lapping films, then 3 distinct balsa strops. Not to mention, you need a storage space to keep all these items in perfect condition, so no dust, dirt or whatnot ever contaminates the balsa strops. You also need to mark each balsa piece, so you know which one is coated with what spray. Gosh...

I just don't see the use case for this. If you're a professional honemeister, you will use stones. If you're just a regular guy who shaves with a SR, you don't wanna bother with all this crap. You get your razor honed professionally and all you need is a strop to keep you razor sharp. Once you feel the drag you can either send it to be professionally honed again and you're good for the next 6 months of great shaves or you can get a 12K Nani and touch it up yourself.

BTW, I've my doubts about the long-term cost effectiveness of "the method", as those diamond sprays are rather expensive and for perfect results you need to put on a new film after each use.

not a proponent or detractor of any method of honing, but i get the appeal of films/sprays. Relatively the outlay is small at first compared to stones, and its diy and that feels good.

when i tried films all i need was one flat piece and then 5 films. I didnt use sprays or pastes.

when I just think of all the gear you need

I dont think this is really huge deal, i mean its like 3 balsa strops after the films? Or am i missing something?

Once you feel the drag you can either send it to be professionally honed again and you're good for the next 6 months of great shaves or you can get a 12K Nani and touch it up yourself.

Thats 80$ a year for honing, shipping included. I can see why someone would try films, instead.

as those diamond sprays are rather expensive and for perfect results you need to put on a new film after each use.

how much are we talking about here?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Couldn't agree more on the "a" Vs. "the" notion.

There seems to be a handful of folks here trying to prove all the time that it is the "THE" method (pun intended), while most people seem to prefer (natural) stones and leave the lapping film out of the equation altogether.

I for one am one of those guys who couldn't be bothered with this so called "the method", it's such a pain in the a.$.$ when I just think of all the gear you need. Imagine having 5 different lapping films, then 3 distinct balsa strops. Not to mention, you need a storage space to keep all these items in perfect condition, so no dust, dirt or whatnot ever contaminates the balsa strops. You also need to mark each balsa piece, so you know which one is coated with what spray. Gosh...

I just don't see the use case for this. If you're a professional honemeister, you will use stones. If you're just a regular guy who shaves with a SR, you don't wanna bother with all this crap. You get your razor honed professionally and all you need is a strop to keep you razor sharp. Once you feel the drag you can either send it to be professionally honed again and you're good for the next 6 months of great shaves or you can get a 12K Nani and touch it up yourself.

BTW, I've my doubts about the long-term cost effectiveness of "the method", as those diamond sprays are rather expensive and for perfect results you need to put on a new film after each use.
Each to their own.

I have no problems with using films (only one substrate required) and diamond pasted balsa strops (3 required). I use diamond paste, not spray. Total setup cost was about USD 75 including shipping. The pastes (3) were under USD 50 and should last me 30 to 50 years. Film costs me about USD 1 to 2 per SR as my SR's only need honing once. After that they are maintained for life on just a 0.1um hanging balsa strop and a clean leather strop.

My biggest ongoing SR shaving expense is toilet paper that I use to try my SR's after use.

For some, like me, a reputable professional honer is not readily available unless I ship my SR's overseas.

Last edited:
not a proponent or detractor of any method of honing, but i get the appeal of films/sprays. Relatively the outlay is small at first compared to stones, and its diy and that feels good.

when i tried films all i need was one flat piece and then 5 films. I didnt use sprays or pastes.

I dont think this is really huge deal, i mean its like 3 balsa strops after the films? Or am i missing something?

Thats 80$ a year for honing, shipping included. I can see why someone would try films, instead.

how much are we talking about here?
I'm not motivated by short-term savings, but by long-term PRACTICALITY.

My grandpa had a leather strop and (what I believe was) a barber's hone and he was a manager in a bank, hardly someone in dire straits. OK, this was many decades ago. Still, my point is these synthetics, etc are all way too much hassle for me. I have a preference for natural stones and simplicity. Each to his own..

Each to their own.

I have no problems with using films (only one substrate required) and diamond pasted balsa strops (3 required). I use diamond paste, not spray. Total setup cost was about USD 75 including shipping. The pastes (3) were under USD 50 and should last me 30 to 50 years. Film costs me about USD 1 to 2 per SR as my SR's only need honing once. After that they are maintained for life on just a 0.1um hanging balsa strop and a clean leather strop.

My biggest ongoing SR shaving expense is toilet paper that I use to try my SR's after use.

For some, like me, a reputable professional honer is not readily available unless I ship my SR's overseas.
I'm lucky, as Koraat is very close to me, I can literally drive over there. And, many would say this guy makes the best SR money can buy. If they are keenly sharp for @drmatt357, you better believe they are more than adequate.

So yes - YMMV and each to his own, I agree.

Oh my! So many knickers in so many twists ...

This is B&B and this is shaving and YMMV is the only rule. In that vein, films and pasted balsa are viable ways of honing and maintaining an edge as attested to by many people in this board. It is not the "only" way. In some people's views it is not the "best" way. But it is a viable way.

When I see "The Method", my mind automatically reads it as "The (Slash McCoy lapping film and pasted balsa) Method" (which is obviously far to much for anyone to type in today's world of abbreviated communication). Anything that gets your razor sharp enough for you is "a method". The use of the term "The Method" is merely a recognizable shorthand for referring to a particular method and shouldn't imply anything more.

But then ... YMMV...

yep many paths to the end result.

after 12k sharp or finished on other natural stone types, films, etc.......I see the balsa progression technique as refining and in most cases ensuring the blade does not need honed again.

if minimalistic is your desired path.....so may it be.

for me with not a lot invested.......I have the ability to turn an Ebay *** into a good shaver for not much $$$. this makes me infinately happy and satisfied.

now I'm contemplating different natural stones to explore different types of finishes........all in time.

camo

yep many paths to the end result.

after 12k sharp or finished on other natural stone types, films, etc.......I see the balsa progression technique as refining and in most cases ensuring the blade does not need honed again.

if minimalistic is your desired path.....so may it be.

for me with not a lot invested.......I have the ability to turn an Ebay *** into a good shaver for not much $$$. this makes me infinately happy and satisfied.

now I'm contemplating different natural stones to explore different types of finishes........all in time.

camo

short answer would be after finding sharp........

it's all fun and tweaking at that point.

camo

But I couldn't do a comfortable Fool's Pass (upper lip ATG) until I had perfected my edges on diamond pasted balsa strops.

agreed.....

but....

who's to say there's no room for experimentation with different types of finishing edges before moving onward to the final gauntlet of balsa strop progressions?

thats my line of thinking anyways. are there differences between:

black or translucent Arks, Jnats, Cnats, Coti, etc then utilizing the progression?

although I have no way of testing them all (yet).......I'd place a wager that differences or "feels" could exist........but then again i might be guilty of over thinking this. nah!

camo

agreed.....

but....

who's to say there's no room for experimentation with different types of finishing edges before moving onward to the final gauntlet of balsa strop progressions?

thats my line of thinking anyways. are there differences between:

black or translucent Arks, Jnats, Cnats, Coti, etc then utilizing the progression?

although I have no way of testing them all (yet).......I'd place a wager that differences or "feels" could exist........but then again i might be guilty of over thinking this. nah!

camo

short answer again:

the finish before the finale finish.

guess I neglected to mention Slates and probably some other stones or materials i dont know much about yet.

camo

Top Bottom