What's new

Scent vs Performance

I find that 99% of artisan soaps perform at pretty much the same level. I wonder if the whole performance talk is to just make this hobby seem more interesting :) So I would have to say I appreciate the scent more.

I agree with Ron Swanson :biggrin1: . IN seriousness, most of my soaps perform really well, but over the last few years, I have developed a preference for scents that are more on the natural side or unique, and I generally dislike cologne scented soaps. That narrows the available list of soaps dramatically. I have recently thrown away several older soaps because I just despised having cologne scents on my face, which also then makes it harder to wear an actual cologne afterwards. I am down to the mildest and most natural scents left in my den, but I make ONE exception...I love APR scents and I own a number of them. The older ones are actually softer and more natural smelling and not cologne-style (Mycroft, Alfredus Choice, Winterfall), but I also own a number of the F2 soaps and matching AS splashes that are quite strong (Torchwood, Fenchurch, Ozymandias, Bombora, La Violetta, Raconteur) and I generally really enjoy wearing those when they are seasonally appropriate (Bombora and La Violetta are summer scents, the rest are fall and winter scents IMO).

I also really enjoy some Noble Otter and most Eufros scents and both are generally pretty mild scents.

There are lots of soaps that I think perform insanely well, but where I have a really hard time with the scents. Oleo Soapworks and DG come to mind. DG doesn't have a single scent I like and Oleo has discontinued the one I did (JacMel).

In the near future, I will mostly use Eufros and Noble Otter and pepper in APR and few select scents from other artisans.

I meant for my original post to imply that the performance from any soap being used is good. What I was trying to determine is folks are ok using a good performing soap over a better performing soap if the good soap has a superior scent.

I would never expect anyone to use a poor performing soap just because it has a good scent.

Well....Sir Hare is mediocre AT BEST as far as performance - at least for me. I just can't get Sir Hare to lather like my other go to soaps. It's not horrible, but it's noticeably less fluffy and slick than I prefer.

I've tried other barbershop scents (I like the Stirling but it's definitely a different scent, have some WSP Rustic barbershop on the way as well) but Sir Hare is by far my favorite scent of all of my soaps (TOBS Grapefruit and Mister Pepper are my other faves).

I can't imagine getting rid of my Sir Hare or not replacing it when it's gone.

However, I also have some Stirling Naked and Smooth unscented soap - so what I do on my Sir Hare days is load up my brush with some unscented Stirling, drag my brush on the edge of my lathering bowl, then load in the Sir Hare and then mix the soap together in my lathering bowl.

That glorious scent of Sir Hare coupled with the performance of Stirling.

Top Bottom