What's new

Canned Foam

Well today I wasn’t really in the mood to do the brush and soap ritual so I reached for my Gillette Foamy can.
I use the can after so many shaves with the higher end products. Razor was my Edwin Jagger and blade was a GSB. I’ve found this to be a good combo as both items are proven performers. Usually when I use foam I’m prepared to get a shave result that is just “okay”, but today’s shave was awesome. Everything even hours later was perfection. Today’s BBS was more BBS than usual. Seriously. I don’t think I’ll need to shave again for at least a couple of days and I do have a fast growing beard. Canned foam doesn’t have the slickness that a decent soap provides but I’m not complaining. It works, is cheap and I’ll continue using it in my rotation.’ Who else here uses the can? Tell me about it.

Razorhead

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I went on holiday to New York last year and visited Pasteur Pharmacy. A fantastic shop but so overwhelming that after an hour of trying many soaps and scents I left with a single 100th anniversary can of Barbasol which is admittedly hard to obtain in the UK. It is actually pretty good and you can even lather it with a brush 👍

pas.JPG

I tend to use my Barbasol (currently a 100th Anniversary can too) when I have a 24-hour beard or just want a quick shave. That said, there is nothing wrong with it and everything right. I've mixed it with TOBS Peppermint in my scuttle and had terrific shaves too.

Sir Razorhead63, congratulations on reaching a high plateau in your shaving journey!
I suspect your overall technique has improved over the decade!
Barbasol, foamy from the can, has also given me great shaves!

barbasol gillette fine december 14 2018.jpg

I'm not against barbasol, but it is not for me.
I recently really tried to like it, but I couldn't. I just don't get good shaves from it. It's like it just sits "on top" of my skin and whiskers, and doesn't penetrate deeply like it would using a brush with soap. I tried to "work" the barbasol in a lot, and still nothing.
So as much as I want to like it I just can't, because it gives me crappy shaves.

I can get away with using Barbasol with my DE razors if I don't use it a few days in a row. If I use it too often I'll start to notice some irritation on my neck. From an economy standpoint, I like it for its affordability. If I'm using a cartridge razor when I travel, Barbasol is my go to! I grew up on the stuff, and that's all my dad has used his entire life. Regular old original.

I can't stand applying the stuff with my fingers though. I'll squirt some in a bowl and mix it with a squeezed out brush and apply it like that. As someone who face lathers, really my shave bowl is only used when using cream from a can, oddly enough.

Another brushless option is Clubman’s brushless shaving cream. I bought some for my son and it ain’t bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a can of Barbasol - pretty much everyone does. It's great for when I'm in a hurry, but since I retired, I'm not in a hurry all that often.
The canned goo Edge Gel works even better -- just as long as you squirt a little on a damp brush & bowl lather it!

Sir Razorhead63, congratulations on reaching a high plateau in your shaving journey!
I suspect your overall technique has improved over the decade!
Barbasol, foamy from the can, has also given me great shaves!

View attachment 1129502
Yes my technique has gotten better as time has gone by. Just practice you know. I get great shaves with almost
any blade in the different razors I have.

One of the biggest improvements traditional wet shaving has over modern cartridge/disposable razors and canned shaving creme/gel is that shaving soap/creme whipped up with a brush is so much better than the canned stuff. I don't ever want to go back to canned shaving creme/gel.

I have recommended to people that do want to switch over to DE razor to try using a brush and shaving soap/creme because it's so much better.

If I'm in a hurry I use a synthetic brush (because it doesn't require soaking, just wet and go) and shaving creme (because it's faster to load and quicker to lather).

Well today I wasn’t really in the mood to do the brush and soap ritual so I reached for my Gillette Foamy can.
I use the can after so many shaves with the higher end products. Razor was my Edwin Jagger and blade was a GSB. I’ve found this to be a good combo as both items are proven performers. Usually when I use foam I’m prepared to get a shave result that is just “okay”, but today’s shave was awesome. Everything even hours later was perfection. Today’s BBS was more BBS than usual. Seriously. I don’t think I’ll need to shave again for at least a couple of days and I do have a fast growing beard. Canned foam doesn’t have the slickness that a decent soap provides but I’m not complaining. It works, is cheap and I’ll continue using it in my rotation.’ Who else here uses the can? Tell me about it.

Razorhead
It's not cheap, and it's not good for your skin.

Do you have any idea what they use as propellant?

Last edited:
It was really good at the beginning. But with the improvement of hand-squeezing shaving cream technology, I will instead adopt a strange method: manual shaving cream with modern multi-blade commercial razors may be relatively troublesome for getting cuts. But I still prepared a canned shaving foam, Gillette’s, maybe next time I will buy Barbasol

After about 8 years of using only quality soaps and creams I decided to try a canned foam again just for kicks. Well I could not believe how bad it was. It didn't even feel like soap at all. It felt like a plastic foam. I used it once and tossed the can. I could never go back.

Top Bottom