What's new

Scent vs Performance

Do you guys sometimes use the lesser performing soaps over the better performing ones simply because of the scents? For example, to me, the tallow based soaps are better performers. They are slicker and better post-shave feel. However, the scents of some of the non-tallow soaps is much better. This is not to say that they do not perform well, just that the tallow ones are better.

I value performance over a scent no worse than neutral (light scents, unscented with no animal funk, etc.). I will not put up with a scent I do not like. It's not worth it. If it was a sample, I get rid of it. A tub, I give it away.

But, embracing the power of and, there's enough out there to enjoy both performance and scent.

As far as tallow and non-tallow, I enjoy both, but I have more tallow-based ones with wonderful scents. All are slick enough for me. My favorite non-tallows? Martin de Candre, Haslinger, and PannaCrema. I look forward to trying others in the future.

I find that 99% of artisan soaps perform at pretty much the same level. I wonder if the whole performance talk is to just make this hobby seem more interesting :) So I would have to say I appreciate the scent more.
I can definitely say that most of my Tallow soaps perform at similar levels. Scents are definitely the big difference. But there is a noticeable difference in my tallow vs non-tallow soaps with the tallow soaps being slicker and giving better post-shave feel.

However, my favorite scents are all in the Pannacrema Nuavia lines. I truly enjoying using them more than all of my tallow soaps but have not been able to achieve the level of slickness with them as I do with my Declaration Grooming, Barrister and Mann, Stirling, etc.

I find that 99% of artisan soaps perform at pretty much the same level. I wonder if the whole performance talk is to just make this hobby seem more interesting :) So I would have to say I appreciate the scent more.

I agree with this. All my soaps - tallow and vegan - perform at about the same level, and I make buying purchases on scent.

All of my stuff is within 5% or so of each other.

Been doing this long enough that I know who/what I like as far as bases go, and which scents I like from those companies.

Some of them are marginally better, but everything I have smells great.

I did back when I was still learning though. There are some scents that are just fantastic but their performance as compared to other bases is less so.

No worries though, always get to shave again tomorrow!

I loved strong scents when I first switched to DE from the boring carts and foam/gel that I used for almost 40 years. 10 years on, I prefer lighter scents that don't make me feel like Pig-Pen from Peanuts with a cloud of scent following me around all day. I have tallow, non-tallow and glycerin soaps that all shave great. The soaps I miss most, are the discontinued SRD glycerin soaps. They performed as good as any tallow soap I have ever used.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Do you guys sometimes use the lesser performing soaps over the better performing ones simply because of the scents?

Nope. Performance is everything, an agreeable scent is a bonus. For example, I think Xpec is an outstanding performer but I will not buy their original scented cream ever. Yuck. Luckily they make an unscented version!

there's many excellent soaps with a refined scent out there, I guess it wouldn't be to be to difficult to find to best of both world

Here's my personal favourites with both performances and fantastic scent

Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Barrister & mann seville
Stirling Piacenza
Tobs jermyn street
Tobs lime zest
Razorock xxx

Scent and performance are not mutually exclusive; I only want great performance, but I also need to love the scent or it exits the den, regardless of its performance.
Agreed. Personally, I think I have not yet figured out how to load the Pannacrema Nuavia soaps on the brush in the best possible way. Atleast once, I. think I overdid the loading and the bowl had so much lather that it looked like I was going to bowl lather and not face lather. That shave was definitely not the best.

Its got to be a serviceable lather regardless of scent. If the scent is so great, but lathers like crap, I’ll try to mix it with another complimentary or unscented good latherer. Hopefully it doesnt kill the good lather.

too many other soaps to try to be sad about one subpar latherer.

scent appreciation seems to continually transition for me. Sometimes i love the smell of a soap, other times i definitely dont want to use it.

tbh, i cant appreciate a soap if i am always using the same soap or similar.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I only have one soap that underperforms...Ogallala shave soap. However...I keep it around and continue to use it because it smells fantastic.

I also have one soap that performs well...but it's scent is lackluster...Arko. Will keep that around and continue to use it also.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...some soaps just need a home...and I'm the guy to give it to em. 😆

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are so many scents available, certainly if scent is important to you you'll find a few you like. The problem with the search is the inevitable tub of soap you really don't like, along with all those that are not great, but still serviceable.

I like to reserve my scent preferences to cologne. So many more complex choices and no dichotomy with performance.

For a couple of years I've been using mostly unscented MdC, with WK's Pasha's Pride as the alternative. The WK is fairly subtle in the scent department.

I would never consider using a lesser soap because of the scent. It only takes me 8-10 minutes to shave, but the results are with me for the rest of the day.

Top Bottom