What's new

BLACKLAND VECTOR AND KAI BLADES

Thought I would ask the community if any of you have problems with the Vector and getting Kai blades to seat or easily be removed. Received my Vector last week and I first tried a Kai Pro Touch blade and had to struggle to get it to slide down onto the pins. Then I decided I would try a Schick Proline and finally had to gently pry the Kai blade off the pins. Proline blade dropped right on as did a Feather Pro. Then I received my order of Kai Pinks and wanted to try one. Again had to wiggle the blade to get it onto the pins. Haven’t tried to remove it yet. I have had conversations with Shane and he had me check the head without a blade in it if it might be bent, but to me the gaps look even. Any thoughts and/or comments welcomed!

The Vector tolerances are extremely tight. I kept a plastic tab from the end of a tuck of blades to remove the blade.

A little annoying but a great razor.

My only question is this: if you have access to the Schick Proline blades, why in the world would you buy a Kai blade? Makes no sense to me.
Well, I am fairly new to SE shaving with an AC razor and wanted to try a variety of blades to see what suits me best. At this point I do think the Prolines might be the best for me in the Vector. However, if you don’t try them, you don’t know.

I agree with @NoScrubs. When I buy a new razor, I try all the Feathers, all the Kai's and even the Prolines (although I am not a fan of the blade). I have found that some blades I really like are not suited to a particular razor.
Since I like Kai blades and would consider a Vector (as well as a Sabre) I am curious if the problem with Kai blades and the Vector is common or if @OhioBob's problem is an anomaly.

When I had problems with the Kai Pro Touch I did try another blade and it was the same. When I went to change out the Kai Pink it took a small pocket knife to gently pry the blade off. I emailed Shane and he offered a new head but told me the Kai blades would still be very tight. Since I like Kai blades I decided the Vector was not right for me so I returned it. It’s a fantastic razor and if you don’t like Kai blades you shouldn’t have issues. Prolines and Feathers worked without problems. Shane’s customer service is outstanding and my experience should not hamper anyone’s decision to get a Vector. As many here say, YMMV.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I wonder if Kai uses a different tolerance on their razor as compared to others. I do appreciate the tight tolerances of vector, offering perfect blade alignment.. pity you had a return it. Maybe the general works better for you?

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I wonder if Kai uses a different tolerance on their razor as compared to others. I do appreciate the tight tolerances of vector, offering perfect blade alignment.. pity you had a return it. Maybe the general works better for you?
Funny you should mention a General, I found a unused Aluminum General here on the BST and it’s on it’s way. Figure if I like that could get the V2. I too am sad the Vector did not work for me. I really liked the shave I got, but the issue with Kai blades just made me decide it wasn’t for me. The Vector is fantastic, just not my cup of tea.

Funny you should mention a General, I found a unused Aluminum General here on the BST and it’s on it’s way. Figure if I like that could get the V2. I too am sad the Vector did not work for me. I really liked the shave I got, but the issue with Kai blades just made me decide it wasn’t for me. The Vector is fantastic, just not my cup of tea.
I don't have and have never used the General V2 but I have however had the Aluminum and the V1 SS and can tell you the difference in the shave for me was night and day!! I contemplated not even getting the V1 because the shaves from the Alum were just mediocre at best but from the 1st shave with the V1 SS I knew it was the one... I've since sold the V1 SS because it just sat on the shelf as the shave I get from my Ti95DC is just outstanding and I always seemed to gravitate to it when opening the cabinet so I figured why own anything else if I'm not going to use it that often!! I have been tempted by the V2 on more than one occasion but fear the same outcome will happen so its better that I don't buy one!!

I don't like the KAIs in my Vector so it's a non issue for me. They are the best in the SS Hawk A, IMO. I couldn't get rid of a razor because a blade wouldn't come out easily tho, especially not the Vector as its my favorite razor.

I don't like the KAIs in my Vector so it's a non issue for me. They are the best in the SS Hawk A, IMO. I couldn't get rid of a razor because a blade wouldn't come out easily tho, especially not the Vector as its my favorite razor.
I may revisit it someday. Was a great razor but I just couldn't get past the blade thing.

After several shaves a blade can get compressed on due to soap getting caught under the blade. If I run into this problem I rinse the stuck blade with water and the blade will usually slide or fall off.

I had a Vector and I removed the blade after each shave. The same issue with blade removal and without soap build-up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I may revisit it someday. Was a great razor but I just couldn't get past the blade thing.

After several shaves a blade can get compressed on due to soap getting caught under the blade. If I run into this problem I rinse the stuck blade with water and the blade will usually slide or fall off.
I had a Vector and I removed the blade after each shave. The same issue with blade removal and without soap build-up.

With the exception (for obvious reasons) of my Injector razors, I disassemble and thoroughly clean all of my razors after every shave - including my Vector.

So far, I have tried the Schick Proline, Feather Pro, Feather Pro Super and Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard in my Vector.

Removing the blade from the Vector requires a bit more attention (due to the head size) than the Colonial General v2 or the RR Hawk V3-OC, but it (in my opinion) is no big deal. I just wear my extra strong readers so I can see everything clearly. :)

YMMV :)

My Vector may have had a defective head. Shane offered to send me a new head and I declined the generous offer. The Vector is a fantastic razor, I was disappointed by the blade issue with Kai Pinks and Kai Pro Touch and I probably should have tried a new head in hindsight but I didn’t and returned the razor. I may revisit the Vector at a future date and my experience should in no way deter others from trying the Vector as many sing it’s praise from the mountaintops.

Top Bottom