What's new

Synthetic Brush

Hi all,

I am keen to buy a new synthetic brush that replicates the best badger brushes and have heard that the Trafalgar T3 and Omega Evo would be potentially good options. Any thoughts on these or other alternatives?

Many Thanks

I think many believe the Muhle/EJ silver tip fibre is tops if not the top as well. Lots of great info and opinions here:

Hi all,

I am keen to buy a new synthetic brush that replicates the best badger brushes and have heard that the Trafalgar T3 and Omega Evo would be potentially good options. Any thoughts on these or other alternatives?

Many Thanks
I don't think there's any synthetic that replicate the badger feel. That said, I still enjoy the feel of synthetics and prefer them over natural hairs at times for their good performance.

Here are some solid synthetic brushes that are similar to what I enjoy.

I think many believe the Muhle/EJ silver tip fibre is tops if not the top as well. Lots of great info and opinions here:

I'm one of those that find the silvertip fibre XL (25mm knot) to replicate a silvertip badger quite well.

A replication of a two band is very difficult. The closest I've come is the original v1 silvertip fibre but that was discontinued back in 2012.

I agree that synthetic is not an alternative to badger or boar. It's something of it's own. But trying to replace a badger with a systhetic and having almost the same characteristics? I don't think so. If you want the badger feel, use a badger.

It's like veggie burgers. It is not the same as a real one.

thank you, I guess I am seeking a synthetic that is both soft on the face but also has enough backbone to help create a strong lather and exfoliate.

The Mühle Sivertip Fibre comes very close to a badger as it is slightly scritchier than most synthies. And it has a middle of the road backbone. It's well balanced with a nice round shape. As much as I enjoy synthies, I prefer badgers because I want to feel the tips. The Mühle Sivertip Fibre is a good compromise between both worlds. And it is a lather monster.

I purchased a Simpson Trafalgar T2 brush. I liked it a lot, but wanted something a little bigger, so I bought the T3. It just arrived yesterday. The only problem with the T3 is that it is a 30mm knot so the handle is so fat that it does not fit in my brush rack.

My skin is very sensitive. I get irritation lathering with nearly all brushes, including silvertip badger brushes, but the Trafalgar is so soft that I could use it to face lather without irritation. I have a couple of other "silversynth" brushes, but the Trafalgar is the most luxurious.

There are a lot of different synthetic knots currently available. Some of the best descriptions of synthetic knots can be found on the Turn n Shave web site.

Once you arrive at this page, click on the "Learn More About This Item" link to open up a list of descriptions of all the knots he sells.

The APShaveCo web site has lots of synthetic knots as well. Click on each item to get a description.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I was not a fan of the EJ STF I had. The fiber has a lot of spring and it had a fairly small knot with a slightly long loft that made the brush a little awkward to splay. This has been a few years and may be less of an issue now, though.

My Chubby 2 Synthetic is excellent in every way, splaying included, although many report these also have some splaying issues.

I’m waiting on an Omega Evo currently. In particular I like to buy from companies that produce their brushes all in house, all under the same roof. I will support those brands over companies that outsource to countries that underpay workers for a less expensive mass produced product any day. I wasn’t sure if Omega was having the Evo mass produced somewhere, so I sent them an email asking and was assured by an Omega representative that just like their other brushes the Evo series is being made all in house in Italy. Looking forward to trying it out.

Top Bottom