What's new

Blade rotation benefits

Good day gents, while ago i asked if there are any benefits for the facial skin from rotating soaps and today i'm asking the same thing about double edge blades. Do you think switching between different brands has any benefit for the facial skin like, i don't know, preventing razor burn; i recently read on a thread that each brand of DE blade inflicts a specific type of razor burn. Could it be that by rotating blade brands one can prevent that specific type of razor burn from becoming worse (of course, replacing it with another type of irritation and so on)?. What do you think, is there some truth in all of this or I'm overthinking it because i have nothing else to do at 3am here in Romania? :001_smile

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like a blade that is predictable. I like blades that are sharp and smooth crossing over to the sharpest category when it comes to DE blades. Razor burn is from over shaving a area of the face and any blade will do that IMO.
Good hand technique will eliminate most problems and experiences will let a person to back off from over shaving.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I rotate blades, I rotate between shark super chrome, derby extra, racer, big ben, and silver star (so mainly blades made by Lord). I think if you find blades, no matter who makes them, and you are comfortable with them and your technique you will get a good shave no matter what.

Good day gents, while ago i asked if there are any benefits for the facial skin from rotating soaps and today i'm asking the same thing about double edge blades. Do you think switching between different brands has any benefit for the facial skin like, i don't know, preventing razor burn; i recently read on a thread that each brand of DE blade inflicts a specific type of razor burn. Could it be that by rotating blade brands one can prevent that specific type of razor burn from becoming worse (of course, replacing it with another type of irritation and so on)?. What do you think, is there some truth in all of this or I'm overthinking it because i have nothing else to do at 3am here in Romania? :001_smile
One of the hidden skin benefits of rotating thru blades is that you are more aware of your shave, and you will be less apt to become lazy. It keeps you engaged.

I like a blade that is predictable. I like blades that are sharp and smooth crossing over to the sharpest category when it comes to DE blades. Razor burn is from over shaving a area of the face and any blade will do that IMO.
Good hand technique will eliminate most problems and experiences will let a person to back off from over shaving.
View attachment 1126966
Have some great shaves!
Every time I see that picture - which is very (too) often, I want to cry.
If you want to rank blades by sharpness and smoothness, you need an x and y axis. This makes zero sense.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Every time I see that picture - which is very (too) often, I want to cry.
If you want to rank blades by sharpness and smoothness, you need an x and y axis. This makes zero sense.

It has to be one of the most easiest photo charts to figure out. I have seen other charts that are boring and not very informative for others. Some enjoy it and others like your self don't care for it and that is shaving with most of us have opinions.:001_tt2:

It has to be one of the most easiest photo charts to figure out. I have seen other charts that are boring and not very informative for others. Some enjoy it and others like your self don't care for it and that is shaving with most of us have opinions.:001_tt2:
I do care for it actually, that's why I commented. My point is simple : where would you put a Durablade 7a.m. from Bangladesh on this chart? I.M.O it's not sharp and even less smooth. You can't. (Replace the 7a.m. with any blade that isn't sharp and isn't smooth for you, since YMMV).
I love when people take the time to come up with charts and any form of data to help the guys that are just starting their wet shaving journey. Good job doing that btw! But I still can't agree with how that chart is built.
[emoji6][emoji409]

Tried about 10 different blades just to find out which ones suited me best narrowed it down to 3

Perma sharp
Polsilver SI
Gillette silver blue

I enjoy trying different blades! The experience keeps me on my toes and helps me appreciate my shaves! :a29: :a29:

If a blade does not work well with my skin, then it won’t make it into my rotation.

Can't think that there's actually any physical benefits. But there's a lot of fun in trying out the infinite combinations, then having a discussion with others, while being fully aware that the combinations won't match with them.

Can't think that there's actually any physical benefits. But there's a lot of fun in trying out the infinite combinations, then having a discussion with others, while being fully aware that the combinations won't match with them.
Yes, if you add the razor into the equation as a variable you really complicate things :001_smile. Maybe that's one advantage DE razors have over the straights: a lot of blade/razor combos vs. a single straight (i don't really have the data but i can't imagine people trying out straights with the ease of trying new DE blades). Although we can presume that different ways a straight can be honned and stroped, with different stones and types of leather can create a lot of variety

Top Bottom