What's new

So, a guy walks up....

...and somehow the topic of straight razor shaving comes up. He is genuinely interested in giving it a try but wants to do it right. Cost is a semi-issue, but not a severe concern. He has no interest in “vintage” gear.
What are you going to recommend for a moderately priced set up kit?

Me??? Recommendations as follow:

1. Razor-Good quality production razor. A 5/8 or 6/8 Ralf Aust, round point. Other options might be a Boker or Dovo (NB-if going with a Dovo the ideal route is to procure one from The Superior Shave. Jarrod knows how to set a blade up properly. Higher end razors (Koraat, Brian
Brown, Wacker, etc.) can come later.
2. Brush-Need two. A good boar like an Omega 1126 or Semogue 1350 and a synthetic..say a Simpson Trafalgar or something from Yaqi fits the bill for now.
3. Strop-Tony Miller Plain Chocolate/Vanilla. Look no further.
4. Soap/cream-Go crazy. Best value(s) are a tub of Cella, tube of Proraso, and an Arko
stick.
5. Bowl-WalMart plastic salsa bowl.

Pricing-
Razor-$150-$165
Brushes-$20-$25 each
Strop-$50 Maybe less if not getting the fabric component which many guys don‘t use anyway
Soap/cream-less than $25 for all three
Bowl-$1.50
TOTAL-About $250-$275 or so.

What would you recommend?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think you pretty much nailed it, but I’d go with @ScottChapin recommendation. Replacing the badger with a synth will bump the cost up a bit, but a Simpsons Commodore X series for example is a really nice inexpensive badger.

Or he can look at Griffith Shaving for various shave ready new and restores.

and if whipped dog still sells the poor man’s strop kit I’d recommend that, and follow with a plain Tony Miller later.

I know he has no interest in vintage razors, but I would still get one despite that. They are far superior in every way to modern razprs imo. You dont need anything fancy, you can get something that imo is better than a modern, but it will be cheaper if cheaper if you know what to look for.
For brush, I would get one synthetic, and one badger. Synthetic for travel, and badger for everyday use,
Strop: never had a tony miller strop, might get one eventually, since I only hear good things about them. But I Think a cheap strop at first would be a better bet, since he will nick it, then get a good strop later on.
Soap: Could not agree more with you, so nothing else to add
I personally only face lather, so would not get a bowl.

I'd leave out the Proraso. I love the scent of Proraso red, but to be totally honest it isn't among the most protective soaps you can find. I'd swap it for a puck of Haslinger or a stick of Tabac, LaToja or Lea. We don't want the new guy to cut himself up. Other than that I haven't got any objections.

...and somehow the topic of straight razor shaving comes up. He is genuinely interested in giving it a try but wants to do it right. Cost is a semi-issue, but not a severe concern. He has no interest in “vintage” gear.
What are you going to recommend for a moderately priced set up kit?

Me??? Recommendations as follow:

1. Razor-Good quality production razor. A 5/8 or 6/8 Ralf Aust, round point. Other options might be a Boker or Dovo (NB-if going with a Dovo the ideal route is to procure one from The Superior Shave. Jarrod knows how to set a blade up properly. Higher end razors (Koraat, Brian
Brown, Wacker, etc.) can come later.
2. Brush-Need two. A good boar like an Omega 1126 or Semogue 1350 and a synthetic..say a Simpson Trafalgar or something from Yaqi fits the bill for now.
3. Strop-Tony Miller Plain Chocolate/Vanilla. Look no further.
4. Soap/cream-Go crazy. Best value(s) are a tub of Cella, tube of Proraso, and an Arko
stick.
5. Bowl-WalMart plastic salsa bowl.

Pricing-
Razor-$150-$165
Brushes-$20-$25 each
Strop-$50 Maybe less if not getting the fabric component which many guys don‘t use anyway
Soap/cream-less than $25 for all three
Bowl-$1.50
TOTAL-About $250-$275 or so.

What would you recommend?

on boar with most of this but the vintage part........

I think I would explain how some of the goodies from different countries are very much worth looking at.

good boar is all that is needed. lol

camo

My suggestion would be Tabac soap. Proraso white would be good as well. The red doesn't seem to be as slick as the white with straights. But that may just be me. Tabac is a great inexpensive soap in my opinion.

Brushes I would say if he can afford get a badger, boar, and synth. That way he can try all 3 type and decide what is best for him. I started with synth and boar. When I got my first badger I was in love and still prefer badger over others. The yaqi HMW is a great brush and inexpensive as well.

If cost is an issue? Y’all probably won’t agree with me I am a tightwad with a capital T. I know how to make things work for the most part though. If cost is an issue maybe point to a known seller who does good work on gold dollars? Or look for a vintage Sheffield in good shape and have it honed. Either option should put him in the $70 or so range for a decent razor. Semogue brush, proraso soap, and then any decent known strop. He could be all in for $150, less if he read forums and studied up a little bit before purchasing.

There is my penny pincher answer lol.

You had me right up until you said synthetic. For a cheap and cheerful option there is nothing wrong with a set of boars. Heck you can even use a single boar if you give it a blow dry now and again. Cheap badgers should be avoided at all cost. I guess it would be possible to use synthetic in theory but it’s not natural to do so.

Soaps: Mikes Barbershop or Tabac would be a good place to start.

One thing you absolutely need is a means to sharpen the edge. It doesn’t get and cheaper or easier than films.

Tomo all I’ve ever used is a boars hair. I might be missing out, but I like the firmness/stiffness of it honestly and have never been tempted by another.

Tomo all I’ve ever used is a boars hair. I might be missing out, but I like the firmness/stiffness of it honestly and have never been tempted by another.
I dismissed boars for too long by believing people who called them inferior to badger. Different yes. Inferior no. Boar has a lot of attributes that make for a fine brush. I find them very comfortable and fast for whipping up a thick creamy lather from hard soaps. I have no regrets with my badgers but boar is a valid alternative that provides excellent value for money.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
$250 & up for something never tried before? I would counsel some experience with a shavette before jumping. Straight razor shaving is not for everyone -- that's why it's so elegant.

A shavette is the first step for many, but we all find out once we use a properly honed straight that the similarity really stops in the looks category and the shave is something entirely different.

In regards to the brush, I would briefly highlight the differences in badger, boar, & synthetic and let him decide. I might also inform him about shavettes or briefly describe what are the differences in skill/effort/time/experience so that he can sort of make an informed decision. Though there is no way a few words can describe things to someone who has never tried straight razor shaving.

I don't think the type of brush chosen will make or break his experience or enjoyment. But the choice of straight and related gear might.

A shavette is the first step for many, but we all find out once we use a properly honed straight that the similarity really stops in the looks category and the shave is something entirely different.
Without doubt. I would argue that someone who takes to the shavette experience is more likely to have a positive transition to straight shaving.

Stick with the synthetic brush, their low maintenance can’t be beat
*says the religious Badger user*

Also I think paddle strops are ideal for someone unaccustomed to stropping *says the religious hanging strop user*

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Alohawyatt came to me recently with exactly the same issue as in the OP earlier this week. I pointed him the direction of a new Gold Dollar guaranteed shave-ready, good Chinese dual leather/denim strop, synthetic badger brush, balsa strop and 0.1um diamond paste. All can be had for under USD 100.

With the above arrangement, he should be set for years of SR shaving without any honing required. Of course I expect that before to long he will start to acquire more, but at least he starts off on the right foot within a reasonable budget.

He is very happy with the arrangement and is now getting it all together.

Razor $35
Strop $10
Brush $5
Balsa Strop $25
Diamond paste $15

Last edited:
Top Bottom