What's new

Tatara or Karve?

I really really like the Charcoal Goods level 2. I can swing getting one more razor. A Karve with 3.25 handle and b c d OC plates or a Tatara. Not sure which one though from Tatara. Leaning toward Karve because I don't care much for long handles. But if I like the CG goods flevel 2 for every other day use, which Tatara would be the best one? I only shave every other day. If I have to shave the next day I will use a tech or red tip in between.
I just don't know much about Tatara razors and which one I should get. Or jus screw it and order a Tradere. 😆 Long handle but....wow! What a gorgeous handle.

Last edited:
You do realize of course that pretty much everyone on this forum will tell you to get all of the razors you listed, try them out and then sell the ones you don't like on the BST.

Now before you take that advice, you'll have to ask yourself the question as to how realistic it is that you'll ever sell any of those stunning razors on the BST.

Speaking for myself, I would find a way of getting all of them, tell myself I will sell the ones I don't like and then find a reason why I need to keep them all. You on the other hand may have more willpower than I do.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Both the Tatara Masamune, the Tatara Masamune Nodachi, and the mix-match combos they afford have a recommenced usage angle of 24°, so that family will not be like the Timeless Bronze suite you’ve placed on tour.

The Tradere you’ve chosen in their place looks massively amazeballs, too.

I haven't totally decided.
I can only get one.
I am interested in Tatara but not really sure which combo or even stock razor. I know I am not interested in the long handle. They publish blade gaps but that isn't
Necessarily all one needs.
I've been trying to find comparisons between their models.
With the Tradere I guess I will go with the SB. I wish they made the OC in 2nd Gen
It was improved from the gen 1 OC based on feedback. So I do not understand why they are not making that one rather than the gen 1.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I can only get one.

Get the Blacklands Tradere. If it doesn’t work out in 30 days or less, use their return policy. If it does work out, save up and petition them to sell you whichever plate you didn’t buy.

Assuming the worst; that cleaning your whiskers with a super lux Tradere isn’t for you; try a Tatara next.

Get the Blacklands Tradere. If it doesn’t work out in 30 days or less, use their return policy. If it does work out, save up and petition them to sell you whichever plate you didn’t buy.

Assuming the worst; that cleaning your whiskers with a super lux Tradere isn’t for you; try a Tatara next.
Thank you!

I have a Tatara Masamune and a Karve C SB, and I prefer the Tatara. I've heard it described as being like a very well made and engineered Tech. Not having ever used a Tech, I can't comment that. But I find it to be smoother and more maneuverable than the Karve and well made in every way. Masamune has negative blade exposure, so if you want something with positive blade exposure that would be the Nodachi. Tatara has a chart on its site of blade exposure for their different combinations of baseplate and top cap. I don't know anything about the Tradere.

Have only used the Masamune (and Tech), but my impression from the forum is that it's very different from the Tradere and Karve with regard to the shave. "Different" in my mind being the difference in a Ferrari 458 Spider, a BMW M5, and an Audi R8. Not necessarily respectively. :001_smile I wouldn't be totally disappointed with any of them in my garage....:biggrin1:

I am interested in Tatara but not really sure which combo or even stock razor. I know I am not interested in the long handle. They publish blade gaps but that isn't
Necessarily all one needs.
I've been trying to find comparisons between their models.

Forget about the Nodachi handle, Masamune is much better for me.
Are you looking for a Tatara with similar efficiency, blade feel to your CG level 2?

Tried the Karve and sold it. Tatara was much better for me personally. I use the Masamune even when I skip a day but do have the OC plate.

Forget about the Nodachi handle, Masamune is much better for me.
Are you looking for a Tatara with similar efficiency, blade feel to your CG level 2?

Tried the Karve and sold it. Tatara was much better for me personally. I use the Masamune even when I skip a day but do have the OC plate.
Yes. I had a Karve before and sold it but I dont think I really gave it a solid month

Yes in an ideal world everyone would just get a Wolfman (but which one?)... 🤔

If you want mild, comfortable and smooth get the Masamune.
If you want closer to CG level 2 get Masamune + Nodachi cap at least or a full Nodachi head.
Depends how much blade you want to feel on your face.

I picked up a Tatara Masamune just after Christmas and aside from a Gillette Guard for travel, I haven't used any other razor since. I have used the Karve OC B plate (it was just OK for me) and I have SB A and OC A plates on the way. (For science, of course. Definitely not because of RAD!) I have both the SB and OC plate for the Masamune, I greatly prefer the feel of the SB over the OC. For me, the Masamune pairs great with a Gillette Nacet or an Astra SP (Green). I don't usually use Feathers but I have heard that it pairs well with them.

Love my Karve Ss and Tatara Nodachi & Masamune... i would get Karve if you’re looking for variety, i would get Tatara if you’re looking for a daily driver. Imo I find Karve B Stainless in either Open comb or Sb more comfortable and efficient than the Masamune. Masamune is very good as well. In reality you can’t go wrong with either one.

Top Bottom