What's new

Recommendations for good electric clippers for buzz cut

I'm currently using an old Remington beard trimmer to cut my hair (not yet ready to go back to a barber with Covid numbers rising once again.

The clippers are too small to give myself a fairly easy buzz cut so I'd like to upgrade to something more appropriate.

Any recommendations? Something under $100 would be nice.

You won't need anything fancy, especially if you are just doing a buzz cut. I have a Wahl kit I've been using for years. I think I only paid around $35 for it which would have been about the price of two haircuts for me back in the day. My clippers have paid for themselves many times over. My kit came with the clippers, 10 of the clip on guide combs, 2 regular combs, a scissors and a couple of hair clips. The only thing I bought since first buying the kit was some clipper oil. I'd advise finding something out there that gets good reviews in your price range and run with it. I'm sure there's a lot of good options in the $40-$50 range give or take.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Head up to your local Wally World and pick up a Wahl kit. They probably have some sort of deluxe pro chrome kit from Wahl which will be fine. It’s what I have. 30-50 bucks is all you need to spend. Since it’s for your hair you won’t be using it all the time so no need for a professional $100+ kit like barbers use.

Get a corded one. Not a battery.

Oster 76
You change the blades as they don’t use guards.
I have a buzz cut and use a 1.5 blade. You could also use a 2 or a 1 of you want real short sides. Oster’s are built like tanks. Barbers have used them for years. A song as you keep the blade flat you can’t mess it up.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Oster 76
You change the blades as they don’t use guards.
I have a buzz cut and use a 1.5 blade. You could also use a 2 or a 1 of you want real short sides. Oster’s are built like tanks. Barbers have used them for years. A song as you keep the blade flat you can’t mess it up.
Very nice clippers but not for under $100. At any rate they cost a lot more than that here in the UK.

We bought a set recently and had to go to Sally’s Beauty Supply to find some in stock. Wally World, Target and the usual sources were sold out. Maybe their stock has recovered by now.

Oster Classic 76 - accept no substitutes. Trimmers are terrible for whole head buzz cuts. Clippers are where it is at. I would start at 1 guard. It has lasted me over a decade until I started using a DE on my dome.

I can't speak for JoeLr - but I had a cordless Andis trimmer set that died after a year. I get far more power from the wired Oster Classic 76 plus guards are easily changeable if they become dull or if you want a different length.

Got my usual #1 buzz cut on March 5 before the shutdown. 7 weeks later I couldn't stand the growth on my head, but most clippers were sold out by then. I finally managed to find a Mangroomer Ultimate self-haircut thingy for about $35 on amazon. It's not bad for a buzz. I used it a couple times, but I still missed chatting with the young guy who's been buzzing my hair for years. On July 5, I finally got a real buzz from my barber and I can notice the difference. The Mangroomer was pretty good, but I miss the cleaner cut and the barber experience. If my wife can spend what she does monthly on her cut and color, I'm worth a good buzz at a fraction of her cost. I still use the Mangroomer every week or so to keep my Andy Rooney eyebrows at bay, so it's not a total waste.

Last edited:
I was wrong when I said I paid $35 for my Wahl kit. I paid $18 for it back in 2013 and it's still going strong. This is pretty much the same kit selling at Walmart for $25. Wahl haircut kit
I picked up exactly this today at Winners for 20 Canadian. Seems like quite the deal.

A few hours later the wife had a go with it and quickly transformed me from a shaggy mess to a presentable man. Who would have thought it possible?

The clippers are pretty impressive at that price. You get that sharp snap of the motor when you hit the switch, the familiar hum that says it means business, and no hint of resistance as it takes off the hair. So far so good. It does seem like it could last decades for the home user.

Top Bottom