What's new

Any rum lovers?

I like this Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. It makes a fabulous daiquiri.

On a side note, the Dark and Stormy must be a proprietary name. I once ordered one on a cruise and was told that they didn’t have Gosling’s rum so they couldn’t make it but offered me a dark rum, lime juice and ginger beer instead.
FFBB4B46-1A08-4CA1-B43C-6BB6F32A1F17.jpeg

The other sipping rum (same genre as 23 yr zacapa ) but honestly even better was Zaya .. the problem is though its the old Zaya (pre 2012 I think: they got bought out and changed factories to a completely different rum :( ) , so you have to find a rum fanatic and steal their stash!

Avi

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
the Dark and Stormy must be a proprietary name.

It actually is, and it is to be made only with Gosling's dark rum and Gosling's ginger beer (and no lime juice, but a lime wedge is okay).

Believe it or not, Gosling's goes after folks about it. As far as I know, they don't go for license fees or anything like that, but you better make your Dark & Stormy with their stuff. While your average mom & pop bar might not have a problem, I can see them going after a cruise line or large hotel outfit.

One popular industry workaround is the "Safe Harbor," a very cleverly named cocktail that isn't as concerned about the brand names of its ingredients.

The things one learns and picks up on when working in IP and barhopping.

If its another spiced rum you're after, I'd recommend trying a Rockstar rum. I have a bottle of their Grapefruit Overproof rum and its really nice (and at 65% you don't need a lot of it so it lasts 😂).

Dark Matter Spiced rum is another I'd recommend but its Scottish and not sure where all its available outside the UK.

If you're looking for something to drink straight, I'd second recommendations for Diplomatico Reserve

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like this Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. It makes a fabulous daiquiri.

On a side note, the Dark and Stormy must be a proprietary name. I once ordered one on a cruise and was told that they didn’t have Gosling’s rum so they couldn’t make it but offered me a dark rum, lime juice and ginger beer instead.View attachment 1104427
A very smooth rum to drink, almost to smooth because you end up over drinking. :a17:

I've just finished a bottle of admiral j tikki fire. Does anyone have any suggestions for something similar?View attachment 1069700
No suggestions, but I'll be reading this thread with interest. I have had one good bottle of Rum and several bad ones. Well, OK - that's subjective. What I mean is that the "good" bottle tasted across between a very good Anejo and a big herbal (but not bitter) Gin - something like Bombay Saphire. It wasn't sweet, or at least it wasn't markedly sweeter than a good Tequila or a good Gin. I didn't write down the name, but it was some special bottling of Diplomatico. It wasn't terribly expensive - maybe in the $50's. I tried the regular Diplomatico and it tasted like flat rootbeer... and then I tried several others, all of which tasted like flat rootbeer, and then I sort of got tired of throwing money down a hole looking for another good Rum and so I went back to Whiskey.

I would like to find a good rum though - that special bottling of Diplomatico was fantastic.

Well isn't that a fun question! I have a few recommendations with the qualifications that A) I'm a dark rum drinker and my suggestions will reflect that, and B) I tend to drink my rum neat (maybe with a little ice) or mixed with water and ice in kind of a traditional "grog" form. With those things in mind here we go!

My favourite readily available is Gosling's Black Seal, easy drinking versatile (goes with most types of mix) affordable and easy to find with Myers's being a close second.

My favourite rum if Pussers Navy rum, based on the same recipe for the British navy, I find it's best served neat or with some ice and a splash water, I don't find that it lends its self well to mixes and may be difficult to find in some places.

Keeping with the historical and cultural significance, I'm from eastern canada and there is a rich history of rum running. That said I rarely travel internationally without a bottle of Newfoundland Screech (and a bottle of Newman's port but that's for a different convo). I would be lieing if I called it easy drinking but its harsh qualities is a testament the ruggedness of those people in the remote outports where it was concocted. I often force my friend from "away" to try some and will often pair with a classic east coast pickle back.

Keeping it local one of the best sipping rums I've found is Five Fathoms Rum from a Distillery in NovaScotia called Barreling Tide Disillery, its dangerously smooth, has almost a port like fruitiness and fits in with expensive charcuterie as well as on the back of the boat with the buhds.

I hope this helps!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Diplomatico is pretty good.

Their Reserva Exclusiva is the definition of smooth sweet rum! LOL! I just looked back and already posted this. I am having some now. Thanks to the latest poster for reminding me I had some in my cabinet! Cheers!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I grabbed the bottle of Goslings Black Seal Rum I had bought and tried it straight up...NOT BAD! You folks are a wonderful influence!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bumbu IS a spiced rum...just so you know. And as spiced rums go, it's on the pricey side. But...it's delicious!

If it’s a spiced Rum I can’t tell it. I cracked open the Kraken the other day and whoa boy! Knock your socks off spicy. I don’t like it at all. I’ll have to mix it with something to finish the bottle. But the Bumbu I can drink straight. It’s more on the sweet side by my tastes.

But considering these two are the first rums I’ve tried my tastes are not refined.

I haven’t had rum for a long time. That Havana Club 7 year looks good but I’ve heard that there’s a couple of different versions of it being made. One in Cuba after the government takeover and one in I think Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rican version is made by the family that started the brand to the original recipe while the Cuban version is a different recipe. But I’ll stick with a bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So where does a guy find the Havana Club in the US? Is it even legal here?

It is not imported into the USA due to the embargo.

While you might find "Havana Club" rum on the shelves in the USA, it is not the same thing. Rather, that's a competing product made by Bacardi, and there is litigation about Bacardi using the mark.

Top Bottom